Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-04-2009, 10:20 AM Reply   
I'm trying to figure out what board size/models I should get my girlfriend. She weighs 105-110 lbs and is 4 ft 11 inches in height. Any suggestions? She's been riding for years now but has never had her own board (she would use her brother's or friends boards). Now she wants her own!
Old    Ben Kerran            08-04-2009, 10:25 AM Reply   
Hard to say without seeing a picture. Post one up and you will likely get more responses
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-04-2009, 10:35 AM Reply   
Liquid Force Melissa 131. Have a friend who is similar size and she loves that board. Good for any ability too.
Old     (5150)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-04-2009, 10:52 AM Reply   
my daughter is 5'2 115 she rides and love her 132 syn
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-04-2009, 10:58 AM Reply   
My girlfriend tried a bunch of womens boards and ended up on the Melissa. It's based off of the Trip but it is a softer/more flexible board. It has a nice spine in the center and is very lightweight. The edges are rolled in between your feet to be more forgiving but the tip and tail are a little bit sharper than my Watson.

Also the Melissa boots are great for womens calfs.
Old    wakejjboard12            08-04-2009, 1:29 PM Reply   
I love how people get on here and say get this or get that. He didn't post anything about what shape she has been on or anything she is looking for. LOL. DEMO. Get her on a few shapes and see what she likes. WHATEVER you do DON'T buy anything because of the graphics. That seems to be the cool thing to do when girls buy boards.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-04-2009, 1:53 PM Reply   
I recommend the Obrien Skyla 129 or Coda 129 (same board but different graphics. The skyla is Dallas' pro model).

Got my wife on it last year and rode a lot better instantly.

Good luck in your search.
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-11-2009, 12:03 PM Reply   
She recently rode the following boards:

'06 Liquid Force Angel 134 - She said it was too big.

'04 Hyperlite Essence 131 - Better but not perfect

'09 CWB Surge 125 - Likes the way the board handles but feels its a tad too small.

She says she needs something like a 128 but I told her a 129 should be perfect for her...

Your thoughts?
Old     (vtecths)      Join Date: May 2009       08-11-2009, 1:17 PM Reply   
My wife loves her Melissa. She says it is more stable and easier to ride than her Diva.
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-11-2009, 2:56 PM Reply   
She's hell bent on a board shorter than 130cm...
Old     (steelesrt)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-11-2009, 3:04 PM Reply   
tell her that board size means nothing. Anything from a 128- 133 would be fine. And bigger is actually better on the knees and back. Bigger boards are faster in the water and that means softer landings.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-11-2009, 3:06 PM Reply   
My suggestion would be the safe as Ryans, Grab A Skylar with Dallas pro Model boot and your set!
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-11-2009, 3:19 PM Reply   
She doesn't do tricks. She just goes over the wake and back. I'm trying to encourage her to catch some air by getting a board that is meant for her...
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-11-2009, 3:28 PM Reply   
As a matter of fact she's hell bent on a 128cm
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-11-2009, 3:50 PM Reply   
may I propose the ronix krush 128.

it sounds like she is a timid wakeboarder, who is cautious and calculates her next move on whether to do it or not. That being said she may not be as comfortable on her toeside.

this board will make riding easier and more comfortable for her toeside and heelside.....and at the same time she could do tantrums with this thing if she wanted, it wont limit her (although i have the feeling this is not of immediate concern).

so in any event the size is right 128 and the board will let her get more comfortable with plain riding before she decides to do a jump

i believe nicola butler was riding this board when she was younger

Upload

(Message edited by absoluteboarder on August 11, 2009)
Old     (vlx4me)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-11-2009, 4:02 PM Reply   
I just went through this last week and picked up a Hyperlite Jade. It comes in a 129 as well but we got the 134. It is a symetrical board that is rider friendly but built to give more edge on the toe side. For my wife that was key. She always could ride heelside well but was timid and kinda week when trying to ride toeside. For her, just knowing the board was supposedly designed to help this increased her confidence and therefore ability. I dont know if the board actually does what it says but if she believes it then that is as good as gold. Best part is if it is exactly what she wants she will be a lot more stoked to ride it then if it is a size, shape, or brand that she didnt think she wanted even if there is no logical reason for it. Good luck!
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-11-2009, 4:16 PM Reply   

quote:

even if there is no logical reason for it.

Now thats a smart man...
Old     (tysonma)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-11-2009, 4:17 PM Reply   
My fiance rides the Ronix Krush and loves it..very cool board.