Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Website Feedback, Suggestions, Problems, Etc.

Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-27-2007, 4:34 PM Reply   
This idea is cool, but my spin on it is that it's turning the website into a big ass kissing contest. It seems like there's nothing subjective anymore. Experienced people need to be able to call people out without hurting their chances of winning poster of the month. Is there any way that you could impliment a system that the mods could use to give a user a rep point every time they post something supreme, or profound. This would be a way to weed the degenerates out, and still recognize the people that are posting good stuff.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-27-2007, 6:40 PM Reply   
We've been doing this for a little more than a month. Are you saying that you see a difference in the content of the discussion board? I just can't see somebody, especially an experienced WakeWorld regular, softening what they want to say just for the chance at a couple of pieces of clothing. There certainly isn't any rule that says you can't call people out. In fact, I would argue that it would improve your chances if the call-out is warranted. Is a Ten-80 clothing package really having that much influence on the way people post? Ten-80 is going to be stoked to hear that! :-) Can you give me a link to an example of what you're talking about? I just don't see it.

I don't understand your point system either. The whole idea is to have the users choose the winner, not the moderators. I'm basing this whole thing on the idea that a user is getting a "mental point" from each user whenever they post something useful. Then, at the end of the month, each user votes for the person that earned the most "points." Besides, why would we need to "weed the degenerates out?" Why would somebody vote for a degenerate to be Poster of the Month?

This is really confusing to me.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-01-2007, 2:36 PM Reply   
lately it seems like it's just been a popularity contest, and the poster of the month thing just made it more obvious. This is strictly my point of view, and I thought you would like to take it into consideration.

I see what you're saying about the mental points and that side of it. I was thinking if the moderators could apply points to a poster for posting something useful, then you could take the top 10 or 5 with the most points, and we could vote on them.

I wasn't calling anyone a degenerate, but if you see someone with 500 posts for instance and a rating of zero, you would know that person is basically full of crap. it would definitely help the newer users.

I had one person who mostly lurks and posts rarely tell me that he didn't recognize 8 of the 10 names in the last poll.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-02-2007, 9:11 AM Reply   
Makes sense except it turns into a full time job for the moderators.
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-19-2007, 8:17 AM Reply   
I agree with TD , poster of the month = gay

(Message edited by mitchj on March 19, 2007)
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-19-2007, 5:36 PM Reply   
Yeah, there is no way I can ask moderators to do that. That's a ton of work and it wouldn't necessarily reflect the views of the community as a whole. Keep the ideas coming though.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-20-2007, 7:17 AM Reply   
I think it's interesting to see it. It's not based on the number of posts, but what level of discussion and interest was brought to the table. Things like "My bindings broke....X company sucks!" are just not interesting reads. Some topics bring great debate and tell a lot about the folks on here....their beliefs, and opinions. There's a lot of diversity among us....i.e. my "Hunting" thread got mad hits...never would have thought so many avid wake guys like to hunt too. I guess my view is slightly skewed though.....I come from MX racing where people live and breath it, and that's about it for daily life, hobbies, and everything else.....most are hardcore, and their lives revolve around it.

On here....you can read a few of a person's posts and with pretty good accuracy figure out if he is religious or not, dem or rep., old or young, and several other things you otherwise might not know. For me...when I'm faced with some of the things we talk about on here...I try to relate my situation to guys that I find similarites with.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-28-2007, 1:20 PM Reply   
I would like to see it a little more defined on what we are judging on. I can see alot of winners being chosen based on charity cases and generosity, not that these are bad but what about the ones that don't post every day but when they do say good things. We all know what i'm talking about and I suppose there isn't so much of an 'idea' in what I just said.
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-04-2007, 10:54 PM Reply   
Other sites have forums systems with ratings that contain a 5 star system that mostly don't work, i understand what thane dog is saying though in concept.

Other forums have a "Karma system" which must be built into some form of web software or something cause thats usually what its called. You can give someone +1 karma per hour, or -1 karma per hour. No one is forced to give people karma, but if something is awfull then negative karma will be warranted and vice versa. It's all at the discretion of the person reading.

It's kind of hard to abuse i think, but it would eventually distinguish the informative posters form the others.