Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (wakewoody)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-28-2012, 8:37 PM Reply   
Why so quiet? Any comments, Ragboy, Surfdad, Duffy, or others?
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-28-2012, 9:04 PM Reply   
6.29.12..... wow.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-28-2012, 10:05 PM Reply   
The lip of the wakes in that teaser video looked terrible and the wake had no transition. It was a wedge ramp with a dirty lip.
I think most of us here are used to better wakes.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-29-2012, 1:06 AM Reply   
I saw the teaser, and I really liked the the entire marketing angle and the "encrypted" stuff to harvest emails, but the video of the wake, as dark as it was didn't look that great, but if it does tomorrow, awesome.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-29-2012, 7:06 AM Reply   
Who cares other than people that have the $$$$$$ or are already planning on buying a Malibu?It would be a bigger deal if it was an aftermarket thing that could be used on most boats.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       06-29-2012, 7:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrdjay View Post
Who cares other than people that have the $$$$$$ or are already planning on buying a Malibu?It would be a bigger deal if it was an aftermarket thing that could be used on most boats.
Agreed... who cares 99% of us wont see it or ride it for at least 5 years. at which point everyone will have something like it or better than it.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-29-2012, 8:08 AM Reply   
I care. Malibu cares. The largest wakeboat manufacturer just sunk a ton of cash into developing something specifically for the wakesurfing market. This is a HUUUGE deal. Wakesurfing is taking off and I'm onboard. Bring the innovation!
Old     (NuBu)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-29-2012, 8:54 AM Reply   
^^^ +1
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-29-2012, 11:47 AM Reply   
If it pushes wakesurf technology or the sport forward, I am all for it, and I am a sucker for a great product launch.
Old     (superfluous)      Join Date: May 2012       06-29-2012, 2:23 PM Reply   
SURF Gate

1.Clean up the surf wake with push of a button

2.The task of creating surf wakes is simplified...you’ll now weight it as if you were wakeboarding, nice and balanced!

3.You have the ability to switch to the opposite wake with a push of a botton.

4.Extreme leaning of the boat is no longer necessary.

5.Surf Gate eliminates the need to fill bunch of extra sacks.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-29-2012, 2:51 PM Reply   
If that works, it would be pretty cool, and the wake is good. We already switch in 5 minutes from side to side at the push of a button, can't imagine how much faster it can get. Excited to see.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-29-2012, 2:55 PM Reply   
I know the folks at FAE had a gate system concept they were testing. Basically pulling down whatever side you are surfing on.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-29-2012, 3:13 PM Reply   
Y, I was thinking about that too, that seems like it would be a cool system, but probably create a lot of drag and fuel consumption.

http://lowriderboats.com/
Old     (riverrunner)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-06-2012, 7:39 AM Reply   
Instafill or Surfgate?

Old     (SacSurfer)      Join Date: May 2012       07-13-2012, 10:10 AM Reply   
See awfully quite about Surfgate, what happen someone get caught going thought some files late night?
Old     (RayRay)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-13-2012, 3:42 PM Reply   
New video is up! www.surfgatewave.com
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-13-2012, 4:11 PM Reply   
Drew Danielo did a wake transfer in the video On The Loose.

Looks like Hyperlite is working on a new board though.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-13-2012, 4:21 PM Reply   
Yea it looks pretty intresting ...... definetly be cool to be able to see it live!! Something new to build on!!

@mitch: yea using words like " ever " and " never " are tricky
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-13-2012, 4:26 PM Reply   
Always thought something through the Hull Flow was an idea ...... then I saw some guy had designed a gate to open up either side to pull water through to use instead of ballast ..... he was looking for investor dollars!! Looked like the absolute simplest way to do it!! I'll see if I can find the link .....
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-13-2012, 4:28 PM Reply   
def not the first wake to wake transfer, when RJ did it, we knew others have done before. Still cool to see new wakesurf tech. I am guessing that gate opens and throws the boat down on the opposite side? Malibu seems to like the use of tech that produces more drag, with that and the wedge, is surfing going to be 10GPH? The mike murphy idea above seems cool because it won't cause more drag, just displacement.

I do think its pretty cool that the surfgate thing, at least as it is shown, doesn't look like a copy of anything else I have seen, pretty unique.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-13-2012, 4:34 PM Reply   
^^^jealous?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-13-2012, 4:45 PM Reply   
Hmm, not yet. You? ;-)

Side to side fast is not that critical to us except during a comp or something like that. Its nice, but normally, even when it takes now only a couple mins, we still jump in and swim, and 15 is no problem. It was about 15 on the RZ2 without the cross over. That said, its new R&D and tech for the sport, and that is very cool, I love seeing that no matter what company.
Old     (wakewoody)      Join Date: Sep 2010       07-13-2012, 4:55 PM Reply   
The wave does not look super clean. I wonder if they were running stock ballast? Chattwake has seen it I wonder if he will chime in?
Old     (RayRay)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-13-2012, 5:02 PM Reply   
I am also curious to see what happens as more weight is added
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-13-2012, 5:39 PM Reply   
So its a couple hydraulic flappy things on either side?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-13-2012, 5:47 PM Reply   
Lol @ragboy

"obviously not as innovative as tige's trim tab and 2klbs of weight, but props for trying. "
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-13-2012, 5:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf1985 View Post
So its a couple hydraulic flappy things on either side?
hydraulic flappy things are the BEST!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-13-2012, 6:09 PM Reply   
@shawn, Would you prefer that over weight on your boat? Honest question, curious. On my lake, I passed on a switchblade and I don't think we could ever use something like that or a wedge. We get so much debris on our lake from April through June. Waterlogged wood, huge logs sometimes that are just under the surface and very hard to see. I don't think it would be an option for me. Through june we are constantly hitting stuff, you can't avoid it. It doesn't damage the boat because so soft, and most the gorrilla fins will knock them out before the prop. Sometimes the prop hits, but you just reverse and forward a few times, it clears out and all good. I think that murphy idea would work, or purevert would work, but not stuff that hangs off.

For the record, this doesn't necessarily blow up my skirt, but that purevert system you have does. 1000 lbs in seconds is very cool to me.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-13-2012, 7:30 PM Reply   
Rags it looks like side mounted trim plates. If your bottom mounted taps plate doesn't break, why would this?

Look I'm not gonna sell my boat and pony up another $40k to by a comparably sized 'bu, but this is a real innovation. Much more of a wakesurfing game changer than the Xstar or g23.

Of course time will tell but I can't wait to see what a sacked boat with the gate looks like.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-13-2012, 7:31 PM Reply   
I really wonder how many of you know it alls out there really understand what a convex V hull really is.? You keep knocking the most fuel efficient design out there. When your only using 3 to 3.5 gallons of fuel a hour,your saving money! The single biggest expense of owning a boat besides the purchase price is FUEL!
Old     (superfluous)      Join Date: May 2012       07-13-2012, 7:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
I really wonder how many of you know it alls out there really understand what a convex V hull really is.? You keep knocking the most fuel efficient design out there. When your only using 3 to 3.5 gallons of fuel a hour,your saving money! The single biggest expense of owning a boat besides the purchase price is FUEL!
Beware the Smurf that spouts marketing pap because he has most of his (really small) self-worth tied up in his (constantly posted) blue boat.

Get over your lame self already!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-14-2012, 3:01 AM Reply   
@shawn, I hear you, my taps plate did break, by the way, but I think it was just a manufacturer defect of the bennett actuator. I think it doesn't get hammered, because to get to it, the wood has to not be deflected by the gorrilla fins, the prop and rudder to get to the taps plate, and it is smooth and doesn't hang down much. Maybe the malibu animation is just showing how they move, but they actually don't stick out to far. But lots of debris would smack that area, because I see it role around the bow and straight down the sides.

Agree on the xstar and g23, don't have much to do with wakesurfing.

On one hand I would say I am not a big fan of hanging anything off of my boat or causing drag, but yet on the other hand would probably hang just about anything off of my boat if it really made a difference in the wake, go figure.

Maybe they will put out some videos where you can really see it in action, that would be cool.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-14-2012, 4:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfluous View Post
Beware the Smurf that spouts marketing pap because he has most of his (really small) self-worth tied up in his (constantly posted) blue boat.

Get over your lame self already!
Super Ego lets go surfing you use your boat of choice and first one who uses the most gas in 1 hour buys the others gas all summer. What does a smart azz like you think of your chances to back up your manure now Super pee wee!!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-14-2012, 5:55 AM Reply   
This video is pretty cool, he says this is factory weight, wonder if it works any worse or better with more weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWRT9z-P9jw
Old     (kayakwv)      Join Date: Apr 2012       07-14-2012, 7:09 AM Reply   
Whether it is a step forward or back, Surfgate marks another step in the evolution of wakesurfing. Ballast pumps, fat sacs, Power Wedge, TAPS plate, Switchblade, all play a part in pushing the sport forward. To continue the progression, we need major boat manufacturers to pour $$ into wake surfing development each year. When something works, it will be imitated by others. When it doesn't, the manufacturers and consumers can move in a different direction. It's shows progression that Malibu Didn't just rest it's marketing on the Power Wedge, but continued to try develop a better surf boat. Whatever boat company u prefer, if u love wakesurfing, you want this type of change from one or two companies every year, to continue the progression.

What's next? Today we need other surf boat competitors to either say "we need something like Surfgate", or else "we can do better than Surfgate ". Then put the $$$ into R&D, to create the next great Wave.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-14-2012, 7:42 AM Reply   
Surf gate so far sounds like and awesome idea, I can't wait to see real user reviews on it. Seems like surf gate will be progressing our sport forward. It's a great idea and kudos for thinking outside the box.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-14-2012, 12:24 PM Reply   
I cant wait to see guys get them, and see how much they can improve the wave.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-14-2012, 1:19 PM Reply   
If you are into surfing, the fact that Malibu is (1) spending money on R&D and (2) taking to market surf specific boats/ballast should excite you no matter what brand you are loyal to. The reason being is that now your manufacturer will have to step up to the plate.

As for the Surf gate, it is pretty cool. I dont think the wave is that great with stock ballast so it is going to defeat some of the purpose of it because you are going to have to add more weight to get a better wave (unless you want to run a ton of weight on both sides just so you can switch on the fly instead of around 10min with any other brand). I think it would be really cool if you could have the surf gate with a 4,00lbs quick fill system (2,000lbs on each side). Then you really could switch sides in under 60 seconds.

Note: @CWB4ME: I surf all day with 2,500lbs at 2,800 rpms and burn under 5 gallons an hr. So yea to the convex hull. Also, why are you commenting on anything other than whether or not you think the Malibu surfgate will work or not.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-14-2012, 4:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesurfer View Post
If you are into surfing, the fact that Malibu is (1) spending money on R&D and (2) taking to market surf specific boats/ballast should excite you no matter what brand you are loyal to. The reason being is that now your manufacturer will have to step up to the plate.

As for the Surf gate, it is pretty cool. I dont think the wave is that great with stock ballast so it is going to defeat some of the purpose of it because you are going to have to add more weight to get a better wave (unless you want to run a ton of weight on both sides just so you can switch on the fly instead of around 10min with any other brand). I think it would be really cool if you could have the surf gate with a 4,00lbs quick fill system (2,000lbs on each side). Then you really could switch sides in under 60 seconds.

Note: @CWB4ME: I surf all day with 2,500lbs at 2,800 rpms and burn under 5 gallons an hr. So yea to the convex hull. Also, why are you commenting on anything other than whether or not you think the Malibu surfgate will work or not.
I didn't say it wouldn't work. I said it Wasn't fuel efficient. I must not have made myself clear. Sorry.
Old     (WhiteFoamFilms)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-14-2012, 5:02 PM Reply   
Surf Gate brings the ability to surf behind the boat on a great wake at the push of a button and not hours of loading weight. And this is only the beginning, there's more to come on the Surf Gate radar.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-14-2012, 5:23 PM Reply   
Watching that video with Grubb on the back of the boat, it seems very cool, no doubt, but I have no idea where this "hours of loading weight" and "40 mins to switch" is coming from. We load our weight during the ~10 min ride through the no wake area out of our marina and are ready to go. Then we switch in 3-4 mins. That is faster than some, not as fast as others, but I would bet that any newer stock system or stock with plug and play like from Centurion, MB and Tige, what I am doing is within the norm.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-14-2012, 5:59 PM Reply   
I think what is appealing to the new surfers is the instantly ready to surf wave. Adjusting it for skim or surf style boards hasn't been discussed. But it's easy for the new surfer to switch sides if necessary.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-14-2012, 9:46 PM Reply   
C-3P0 how do you know that the surfgate is going to be less fuel efficient than... lets say your Tige RZ2?. If your saying this then surly you must have ridden the Malibu boat numerous times to come to this conclusion. If this new system isn't appealing to you then you must be an old surfer because apparently its only appealing to new surfers.
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-15-2012, 9:02 AM Reply   
Who really cares about fuel efficiency anyways? I don't get it, one of the big 3 comes out with a new innovation, though untested, and the best thing anyone could say is "all that drag" is going to increase fuel economy.

As an engineer I see the merits of the system based on the info we have and even if you hate bu, you gotta love brands putting themselves out there with new tech. Wonder if bu will license this to other brands?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-15-2012, 5:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyD View Post
Who really cares about fuel efficiency anyways? I don't get it, one of the big 3 comes out with a new innovation, though untested, and the best thing anyone could say is "all that drag" is going to increase fuel economy.

As an engineer I see the merits of the system based on the info we have and even if you hate bu, you gotta love brands putting themselves out there with new tech. Wonder if bu will license this to other brands?
So is it worth 90 grand for this convenience?I don't know about you but besides the cost of the boat fuel is your biggest expense. I usually put about 125 hours on my boat each year so yes i consider fuel costs.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-15-2012, 5:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFoamFilms View Post
Surf Gate brings the ability to surf behind the boat on a great wake at the push of a button and not hours of loading weight. And this is only the beginning, there's more to come on the Surf Gate radar.
Only about 5 to 7 minutes to fill the 1200 lbs of ballast.It takes me about the same time to fill my surf ballast only i can't switch sides as quickly.But since i only surf on one side it's okay with me.
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-15-2012, 8:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Only about 5 to 7 minutes to fill the 1200 lbs of ballast.It takes me about the same time to fill my surf ballast only i can't switch sides as quickly.But since i only surf on one side it's okay with me.
CWB4Me, what has Tige done lately besides put lights in their tower and mesh in their seats?

Let's face it, the Z3 is the most forgettable boat there is.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-15-2012, 8:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
CWB4Me, what has Tige done lately besides put lights in their tower and mesh in their seats?

Let's face it, the Z3 is the most forgettable boat there is.
unfortunately you're right, just like when they came out with the Z1 (you may be asking yourself, what was the Z1? hahaha)...its time for Tige to redo the RZ2 and RZ4....
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-15-2012, 8:29 PM Reply   
Of course I'm right!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-16-2012, 8:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakwv View Post
Whether it is a step forward or back, Surfgate marks another step in the evolution of wakesurfing. Ballast pumps, fat sacs, Power Wedge, TAPS plate, Switchblade, all play a part in pushing the sport forward. To continue the progression, we need major boat manufacturers to pour $$ into wake surfing development each year. When something works, it will be imitated by others. When it doesn't, the manufacturers and consumers can move in a different direction. It's shows progression that Malibu Didn't just rest it's marketing on the Power Wedge, but continued to try develop a better surf boat. Whatever boat company u prefer, if u love wakesurfing, you want this type of change from one or two companies every year, to continue the progression.

What's next? Today we need other surf boat competitors to either say "we need something like Surfgate", or else "we can do better than Surfgate ". Then put the $$$ into R&D, to create the next great Wave.
I agree! Maybe someone sees the gates and has a light bulb moment then spawns another idea that's even better, that's what I hope for. It could be just the start of surfing innovations and we all benefit from it. It's not going to get me to buy a Malibu (I don't their looks personally) but it's something that others can work off of/with.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-16-2012, 9:36 AM Reply   
I like the looks of most Malibu's . I would have to see the surfgate in action and feel the push from the wave.Then i could give it a thumbs up or down.As for the new Z3,you should surf behind one properly weighted before you knock it Troy.
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-16-2012, 11:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
I like the looks of most Malibu's . I would have to see the surfgate in action and feel the push from the wave.Then i could give it a thumbs up or down.As for the new Z3,you should surf behind one properly weighted before you knock it Troy.
Truthfully I have never been behind a Tige as I wouldn't want any of my friends to see me behind one.

Me and MHunter were on Lake Powell the other day and we blew the tranny on our prototype G23 while jumping wake to wake with no ballast 250 feet back. A Z3 drove by a couple times (i forget how many) before we noticed it and he towed us back to shore although he got bad gas mileage for doing it because towing our non-production G created lots of drag.

We then test drove a MB and ordered a new XStar for 2017 delivery. XStar ver. 8.1 I think it was. The hull was made of billet.
Old     (ReSession)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-29-2012, 4:55 AM Reply   
Wanted to post a few pics and a vid of the crew over at Smooth Water Sports in Gansevoort, NY...apparently they got their hands on a 2013 Malibu 23 LSV with Surfgate installed, and the wave looks pretty damn nice for stock! No trick video, no night riding...it's the real deal!

Here's what they say they're running: Factory ballast, Power Wedge, a 750 bag in each rear locker and a 400 bag in the bow @ 11.5 mph

He switches over from dark to regular side at the end...wait for it!

Game changer...hands down. Nice work, Malibu!
Attached Images

Last edited by ReSession; 07-29-2012 at 4:57 AM. Reason: quick edit
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-29-2012, 7:22 AM Reply   
^^^ absolutely stellar. As an engineer dealing with improving technology I'd say that this is the real game changing technology of the year! Sorry star and g.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-29-2012, 8:15 AM Reply   
The wave looks long. But from the video and pics seems to lack a lip. Seems flat
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-29-2012, 9:36 AM Reply   
The face looks convex not concave like on a side weighted boat.
Old     (clotus)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-29-2012, 11:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSession View Post
Wanted to post a few pics and a vid of the crew over at Smooth Water Sports in Gansevoort, NY...apparently they got their hands on a 2013 Malibu 23 LSV with Surfgate installed, and the wave looks pretty damn nice for stock! No trick video, no night riding...it's the real deal!

Here's what they say they're running: Factory ballast, Power Wedge, a 750 bag in each rear locker and a 400 bag in the bow @ 11.5 mph
I'm confused, is that wake stock, bc you say factory ballast in addition to 750 and 400 bags. My Sanger throws a similar wave with factory ballast and the above weight as well w/o a wedge or surfgate.

Always a good thing when boat manufactures are trying to make wakesurf specific boats though!!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-29-2012, 5:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
^^^ absolutely stellar. As an engineer dealing with improving technology I'd say that this is the real game changing technology of the year! Sorry star and g.
New tricks have been done by multiple riders behind the Nautique G23 and the X-star has a massive wake too.We still need to hear from some pro surfers not affiliated with Malibu to hear how the wake really stacks up.All surf gate has changed is the speed you can change from side to side. Also no list surfing.Props for those changes!
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-30-2012, 11:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarFanatic5 View Post
The wave looks long. But from the video and pics seems to lack a lip. Seems flat

i agree. the wave in the top pic doesnt look very good. to not judge the book by the cover i would like to try it. there for sure doesnt seem to be a lip though.
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-30-2012, 11:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
New tricks have been done by multiple riders behind the Nautique G23 and the X-star has a massive wake too.We still need to hear from some pro surfers not affiliated with Malibu to hear how the wake really stacks up.All surf gate has changed is the speed you can change from side to side. Also no list surfing.Props for those changes!

excellent point.
Old     (itsme)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-30-2012, 1:08 PM Reply   
We got a chance to get out on a 23 with Surfgate today. The boat had not been broken in yet, so we did not get to ride it. We are scheduled to get out behind it next Tuesday.

Today, the boat was weighted:
Full Factory stock ballast (250 in each rear corner, 500 in belly, 350 in front. All hard tanks)
750lb sacs on each side of motor compartment in rear
Wedge in full-down position
Speeds varied from 9.5-11.5 (Surfgate has an auto-shut at 12.5ish)

First impressions:
It's simple!!! The "gates" are not huge and work quickly.

The wakes look pretty clean and do have a "lip" on them that is tough to see from pics/videos seen to date.
The platform has been cut-off/downsized with angles

It appears that it will be easy to adjust the length of the wakes. There were 3 of us in the boat. As we moved around, the wake length and height was easily changed.

The boat drove well!! (I may be too used to driving a boat with #4000lbs on the port side) But I had under-estimated the ease and agility of an evenly-weighted boat.

TBD list:
How much push/drive is held in that wake?? TBD....
How would it handle a ton of extra one-side weight? Would it push over/around the Surfgate? TBD.....

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...51947064880411

Last edited by itsme; 07-30-2012 at 1:12 PM. Reason: forgot details....
Old     (kayakwv)      Join Date: Apr 2012       08-13-2012, 8:34 AM Reply   
New video with Surfgate, showing 360 wave to wave attempt.

Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-13-2012, 5:23 PM Reply   
wake still looks small ..
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-13-2012, 5:43 PM Reply   
rather sit and wait ,to have a bigger wake..
Attached Images

Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-13-2012, 6:36 PM Reply   
Put a surf gate contraption on my 06 elite v centurion. Accidentally left the trim tab at 100%. Still some tweaking to do but it's looking pretty good. This video is with about 1300lb of ballast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Zd...e_gdata_player

Keep in mind, this isn't a great surf boat to begin with. Certainly no avalanche/enzo.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-13-2012, 6:41 PM Reply   
^^Vid is tagged private.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-13-2012, 6:46 PM Reply   
fixed
Old     (kevin)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-13-2012, 8:27 PM Reply   
Can we get any pictures of this contraption boardjnky4?
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-13-2012, 9:06 PM Reply   
^^ I agree with James, I’d rather sit and wait.....Love that barrel shot!
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-14-2012, 5:47 AM Reply   
Ask, and you shall recieve. Be kind though, this is a temporary proof of concept. Permanent solution will involv a lot less scrap lumber lol.

Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-14-2012, 5:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv420 View Post
^^ I agree with James, I’d rather sit and wait.....Love that barrel shot!
Like I said, my boat isn't a great surf boat. I could likely never get a wave like the above.

You've got to compare apples to apples. That wave above is sick. I'd love to see what it would look like with a surfgate and even weight, though.

Also, I get that there is a core group of wakesurfers that would rather wait and have a bigger wave. It's totally understandable. For me, it's about speed of switching. Same ballast setup for wakeboarding, goofy surfing and regular surfing is a huge benfit to my day. As you can see from the video, I'm really not even good at surfing, so the perfect wave isn't really needed.
Old     (kayakwv)      Join Date: Apr 2012       08-14-2012, 7:16 AM Reply   
it's a cool innovation, and good that a few boat companies are willing to design boats, hulls, and accessories to improve the sport of wake surfing. It's made it possible to surf both sides, with a pretty clean wave ,within seconds in the same ride. The concept is simple, yet I don't recall anyone doing it before this summer. It probably won't make a massive wake, since you are evenly weighting the boat, but it will be cool to surf wake to wake just like wakeboarding,... only wireless. Certainly not going to stop me or anyone else from weighting down one side and going big, just a new way to have fun behind the boat.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-14-2012, 9:39 AM Reply   
Evenly weighting a boat doesn't stop from building a massive wakeboard wake why would it be any different for a surf wave?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-14-2012, 9:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22vdrive View Post
Evenly weighting a boat doesn't stop from building a massive wakeboard wake why would it be any different for a surf wave?
exactly. My wave video posted was probably 30% of the ballast that most people run (malibu is probably doing their vids with stock ballast) and it was already looking pretty decent. Put 3k of ballast in a proven surf boat with a surfgate, and I think there will be a lot of impressed people.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-14-2012, 9:50 AM Reply   
I'm sure this is heresy, but c'mon guys, having "the biggest wakesurf wake" is sortof like being the tallest midget or having the fastest minibike, isn't it? We're talking about people creating, at best 3' waves, which is basically weaksauce ocean surf waves.

It's fun don't get me wrong, but it's not a whole lot different from bowling or horseshoes in the athleticism category. Great passtimes, but if you can do it with a beer in your hand, it's not really a sport.
Old     (kayakwv)      Join Date: Apr 2012       08-14-2012, 9:58 AM Reply   
Classic!
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-14-2012, 10:00 AM Reply   
haha definitely not arguing with you there shawndoggy

that's a whole other argument though

I will say this though, if I had spend 60/70/80k on a boat SPECIFICALLY for the purpose of wakesurfing, I would be demanding a pretty fantastic wave... I'd probably be demanding the boat give me blow jobs for the price too, but that's besides the point.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-14-2012, 10:00 AM Reply   
Not heresy, Shawndoggy. The gospel!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-14-2012, 10:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brhanley View Post
Not heresy, Shawndoggy. The gospel!

lest it be said that we don't destroy a little glass with surfing too... I'm just saying holy cow do people take surfing far too seriously.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-14-2012, 11:37 AM Reply   
people take wakeboarding, skiing and surfing too serious. Its a hobby, there is "no real sport here" its just for fun. It will never be mainstream, lets be serious. wakeboats have become more statis related than sport related. Most people just buy them cause they look cool, have a great open seating area and cost a lot. just like hi end sports cars. Most are never hitting a race track, they spend most of there time in the garage and people spend more time talking about having one than using one. JUST LIKE WAKEBOATS, and just like this forum, I am guilty as well, its a hobby, lets keep it that way, fun for everyone. too much concern over who has the biggert wake, what colors look cool or not, what surfs the best, there all overpriced toys and we are all wrapped up in it