Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (twake06)      Join Date: Mar 2009       01-26-2010, 5:52 AM Reply   

I was looking through some of my videos from the summer and I forgot about this one. Check out the size of Adams BS1 around 0:55 sec.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-26-2010, 6:18 AM Reply   
That was huge! Norris lake is by far the nicest lake I have ever been on. Buttttter everywhere.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-26-2010, 6:59 AM Reply   
Awesome! that was impressive....We have been looking for about 2 months and we decided to rent a floating house out on norris for 4 days..can't wait...it looks like there is butter even with other boats out and we checked out the lake and it looks huge...We are excited, its about a 2 hour drive and we are taking my boat, 2 jetskis and a bass boat (so maybe we can have fish for dinner a couple nights). Anything you would recommend TD or Paul? I am debating on getting a handheld GPS, or is norris not too bad for finding your way back?
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-26-2010, 7:36 AM Reply   
Norris is beautiful and it's not hard to find good water, but it can be blown out on a busy summer weekend. I went up there one day this summer to show some friends how to ride...behind their Baja. The main channel was absolutely packed. I've never seen so many Malibu's not wakeboarding. But, they're probably running off to their hidden butter spot. haha
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-26-2010, 7:55 AM Reply   
We are looking at going down June 4-7....im afraid to know how bad its going to be...lol
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-26-2010, 8:34 AM Reply   
Greg, what marina are you renting your floating house from? Norris is pretty big and my buddy has brought his GPS out a few times. I don't think you really need one unless you were wanting to explore the whole lake. The best water you will find will be up the Powell River, although you can find good water in any of the channels.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-26-2010, 9:07 AM Reply   
I got lost out there the first time I towed my 24v up there. We were up there for Fire On The Water, kept the boat at a friends slip at Sequoyah and stayed at their house. The next morning I tried to find Norris Dam where we launched the boat, ended up getting turned around and going completely the wrong way. After about an hour I realized that I had my iPhone GPS which I had forgotten about. She took me home, haha.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-26-2010, 9:22 AM Reply   
Paul, we are looking at the Flat Hollow marina floating homes. Really we want to just find a good spot to ride and we will also have the jetskis to just play around...Im not sure where flat hollow is at in relation to where you mentioned.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-26-2010, 10:15 AM Reply   
Greg, your at the best spot on the lake. When you pull out of the marina hang a left and that's the Powell. It's one of the two rivers that flow into Norris. I have stayed in a couple of the floating houses at Flat Hollow, and it has always been a blast. I would recommend getting one with a hot tub. Nothing like getting off the water after a full day of riding and hitting up the hot tub. There are spots on the Powell where you'll pull up and see dust settled on top of the water.

Which one of the floating houses did you rent?
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-26-2010, 10:32 AM Reply   
Hey Paul, it is just going to be 3 couples going and funds are not exactly too friendly to split a hot tub huge place among three people paying during peak season. If I had like 5 or 6 others to split it with that would be a different story. I am reserving the Starry Nights one for the 4 nights. One of the couples is only staying 3 nights so I have to pick up the slack between their stay and level it out...lol...Can you tell I'm deadset on going? I like the sound of the water being so calm there is dust on the water...we are loading up a huge cooler with steaks and meats and bags of ice...I think it will be pretty fun
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-26-2010, 11:07 AM Reply   
Greg, where'd you shop for these places at? I'm a bit interested, we've made my bachelor party an annual event and we may consider one of those places. We rented a lake house on Norris this past year.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-26-2010, 11:36 AM Reply   
Here you go Cody.

http://www.flathollowmarina.com/rentals-main.html

I have stayed in the Excalibur and The Lake House. For 8 or less I recommend the Lake House. It's is nicely furnished and has everything you need.

Greg, there is a Super Walmart right in town that you can get all of your shopping done at. Bring a cooler designated just for ice, cause you will blow through several bags, and it's a lot cheeper to get it in town. You can also eat at the marina fairly cheap too. We always plan out every single meal and that way we don't ever run short on food. Usually make a hot breakfast, cold cuts for lunch (we almost always eat lunch out on the boat) and a real nice dinner. Bring some laundry detergent cause you will go through a ton of towels and I think most of the places have washing machines.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-26-2010, 11:36 AM Reply   
I would go into Google and type random phrases like Norris Lake Floating Home, Norris Lake Floating Cabin, Norris Lake Rentals, and I did the same for Douglas, Watts Bar, Nickajack, Hiwasee, etc. ..The only other floating home rentals I found was on Hiwasee lake in Chattanooga. We are looking at doing that at some point this year as well.
http://www.flathollowmarina.com/rentals-main.php#floating
http://halesbarmarina.com/cabinsfloating.php

I went through pages and pages looking for places. I really liked the way Norris looked. I am getting everybodys thoughts today to make sure we are good to reserve and then getting it shortly. Woot.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-26-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
Awesome to know about the walmart close. We have a cooler that is as wide as the truck we were going to pack with ice and meats. Ill use another for the meats then. I want to plan everything out too so we dont run short. I like the idea of hot breakfast, eat on the boat lunch and nice dinner.
I didnt even think about the Laundry detergent. This one has a washer dryer as well.
Thanks Paul...
If you think of other things that you all do let me know. This will be our first time renting a place on the water or even staying at another lake.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-26-2010, 1:06 PM Reply   
You might want to check and see if they have a stereo at the lake house you rented and if not bring your own. You wont need to do any shopping before you get there, cause you can get it all at the Super Walmart. Make sure you have bumpers for your boat too. The rails around the floating houses only have a thin rubber strip. I don't think your allowed to have gas cans on the floating house, but wouldn't be a bad idea to fill up a few and leave them in the parking lot. You can buy gas at the marina, but its not cheap.

Like I mentioned earlier, you can also eat at their marina cheap, and if you happen to forget anything, the marina will more then likely have it.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-26-2010, 1:15 PM Reply   
Awesome Paul, Didnt think of that either :-) Keep em coming! lol...
I will be getting more bumpers before then as well. That was a plan in the works anyways haha...I wouldnt guess they allow tanks at the houses for safety reasons, thats no biggie. We can bring some tanks with us and keep em in the truck. Awesome, thanks Paul!
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-27-2010, 6:43 AM Reply   
Woo Hoo...Just booked Starry Nights! Looking forward to it...I think it will definitely be awesome...Paul, did you have to bring your own propane tank for the grill or was it provided? Just trying to figure out if we need to haul one up. I saw the pic of the grill but it didnt have a tank so I wasnt sure. ..Sorry TD, didnt mean to hijack your thread...
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-27-2010, 7:06 AM Reply   
BTW, depending on the water level, if you idle back through flat hollow, through the houseboats and floating houses, there is a little channel back there that you can take a quick ride on. It's a dead end, and I don't think many know about it...well, until now. lol

We stayed in a house back there last summer and the spot was great for beginners, or working on one trick, or double ups, or whatever. When the whole crew was going riding, we would head out to bigger areas. Best lake I've ever been on...period.

From Flat Hollow Marina looking towards our house
Upload

From our dock looking towards Flat Hollow
Upload

From our dock looking towards our 'ski cove'
Upload
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-27-2010, 7:30 AM Reply   
Naw, was it one of flat hollows houses they rent? or was this another way? Im interested as we may be making another trip up there in august. Im hoping water levels will be good around June...Im praying they will...and hoping weather will look good for us...
Awesome views of butter and not too bad of a little cove...
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-27-2010, 7:32 AM Reply   
Some of my buddies have ridden back there and said the same thing...good water, but short run. I have a friend that built four of the houses back there and still owns two of them. A group of us went down there last September and stayed at one of his rentals. If you have a big enough group, I would highly recommend either one of his places, they are bad to the bone. I wonder if you stayed in one of them.

Here is a link to his rentals.

http://dchomesofnorrislake.com/
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-27-2010, 8:23 AM Reply   
Paul- I saw those homes, I think they were a bit closer to the marina than we were. But, details are fuzzy.

I rented the house through www.norrislakeproperties.com . The house we were in was 'Red Neck Yacht Club'. It was rediculously awesome and VERY affordable.

We had a group of 11 or 12, with two wake boats and we all said it was the best boat trip ever. I've done houseboats on Cumberland and Dale Hollow. Always a good time, but I won't do a houseboat again after doing this. It was less expensive and way more comfortable.

An epic place for fishing, riding, surfing and boozing. NOTE: You may not need to buy the food ahead of time, but bring your own booze...and when you think you've packed enough, pack some more. Walmart and gas stations will rape you on beer and I don't think you can find liquor there.

Might as well throw a few more pics up...dreaming of summer!

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (vrider202)      Join Date: May 2008       01-27-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
We have been going to Norris for about 20 years now. It is my favorite place in the world. Have been there a few times with Paul. I can still remember the first time Paul was there. We headed down the Powell a few miles and it was butter and Paul was smiling from ear to ear. I will never forget the look on his face when I told him we hadn't even hit the good water yet. The water gets really good past Union Marina. You might not even see another boat, depending on when you are there.

The floating houses are awesome. I stopped by the house Paul linked to above, too. It's incredible quality. We have rented many homes at Deerfield and these are comparable. Hardwood, tile work, granite are all top shelf.

Have a great time.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-27-2010, 11:40 AM Reply   
^^^Yup, and my first run I took a spill and sprained my ankle pretty bad. I had never been on water that smooth and my first day, first run, I was out of commission for the rest of the weekend.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-01-2010, 6:23 PM Reply   
NAW our condo was on norris lake properties, but we are renting it out without the management company this year. Here is the link to our's
http://www.vacationrentals.com/vacation-rentals/51384.html
It's located just past the jumping bridge by sugar hollow marina. We rent our condo out if anyone is looking to head down to norris send me an email and I will see if it's open.
Greg we went last year the first week of June, let's empty was the feeling out on the lake. This is the best time to spend there most schools are still in.

(Message edited by patrick232 on February 01, 2010)
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-01-2010, 6:47 PM Reply   
Patrick, That is good to hear that it will be calmer. I forgot about schools being in around then.
Also, may get with you for some august or september dates on norris as my gfs family is wanting to go there too. We may just make another trip up that way and stay in the condo you all have.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-02-2010, 5:36 AM Reply   
Greg,
Just let me know.