Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-24-2011, 6:45 AM Reply   
First off, have to start off with wow. We took a demo in Windemere, FL a few weeks back and we were very impressed with the overall quality of the boat and the wake as well. With it being a west coast boat, I hadn't heard much about it and wasn't quite sure what the quality was like or even the wake.

On the first walk up, I was really liking the look. It's a clean look and the paint in the gelcoat is a big plus… no stickers. You can get a lot of options on color and the overall scheme, which is definitely awesome for someone ordering from the factory.

The interior layout is extremely simple, which is exactly what I like. Coming off an X-Star, I was happy with the simple, effective layout and the clean looking setup with the seats. The drivers spot in the cockpit has a pretty cool layout that was easy to get used to while pulling the rider and, with my skepticism of electronics and touchscreens all over the place, I was digging the standard gauges. My opinion is the more complicated it is, the quicker something will go wrong. I'm the same way with airplanes (I'm a pilot) and glass panel vs. steam gauges, the simpler the better.

A big plus is the rear plate control which puts the boat up on plane very quick, even when loaded up. Doesn't do anything for the wake, only for helping to get on plane. Not a problem because I didn't want to change the shape of stock wake at all. This was my first real test with the Zero-Off cruise control and it worked flawlessly. We rode in chop on this day and naturally being GPS controlled, it was a consistent pull the whole time which is a huge plus for me. I yank the boat back pretty hard on some cuts for flats-tricks and I was happy with how it performed. Oh, and another plus is the gated ballast --- fill up the stock tanks in about a minute by letting the water rush in, no pumps! Huge advantage for what we're doing… it took the Axis with plug and play plumbed stupidly by the dealer 20 minutes to fill up stock plus three 750's. With this setup, you're waiting on the rider to get ready.

For the wake, I was extremely happy. It's got a rampy shape to it, about like a Malibu, and has a little bit of a curl on top with stock weight and a few bodies in the boat. I was able to hit all my tricks with it without having to rush like I do on other stock wakes. Although it had the size needed for my stuff, it's still a small enough wake that can be controlled by any level rider. I was unaware of the extra bags that were in the boat, so we threw about 600 pounds in the rear lockers and another 350 in the bow. Same shape on the bottom end, but had more of a lip up top and damn, I was a happy guy. Boat still hopped up on plane in hardly any more time than before with the help of the plate, which definitely helps with minimizing the fuel flow when constantly pulling riders up after falls.

If you're in the market and have considered an MB, I highly recommend contacting the closest dealer and setting up a demo ride. I was impressed with it and I'm sure many others would be as well. They're a little hard to find on the east side, but still worth trying for.

For those in or around Florida, contact Drew at surf@surffresh.com and set up a day on the water to check out a new MB.