Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (want2ridealot)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-14-2008, 11:00 AM Reply   
So we found a 08 Vlx with really good options and really the only problem is that it has the diamond hull and not the wake hull. We are 100% wakeboarders and wake surfers so the wake hull would be preferable. My question is, how much worse is the diamond hull wakeboard wake than the wake hull wakeboarding wake. Also if you were in the situation would that be a deal breaker issue?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-14-2008, 11:25 AM Reply   
I've been behind both, own a Wake Hull, and I couldn't tell the difference. The difference I saw was the fact that the boat planed out quicker when unloaded, less wake at higher speeds, but I couldn't tell the difference at lower wakeboarding speeds. The surf wake was awesome as well. I wouldn't hesitate if it were me.
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-14-2008, 12:33 PM Reply   
hummm how can i know which hull i have ?
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-14-2008, 12:36 PM Reply   
There was a thread on themalibucrew.com where somebody mentioned that Malibu took out 8-9 outlaw/pro riders and the Vandall for a set behind each hull without telling them which they were riding behind. All of them but the Vandall preferred the Diamond. I can't remember why the Vandall liked the Wake hull, I think it had something to do with the wake at 92-95 feet.
Old     (cresko)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-14-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
we have an 07 with the diamond hull. We tested a different vlx a few months before with the wake hull. To be honest there is really no apparent difference unless your riding at higher speeds. That is why vandall preferred the wake hull, he rides at 28-30 mph. We throw an extra 900 pounds in the back, and the wake is really nice. The hull is designed to create lift at higher speeds due to air moving through the chimes, perhaps it still creates this left affect at your regular wakeboard speed, but not enough to really complain over. The real difference is 28+ mph.
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-14-2008, 1:18 PM Reply   
so you guyz dont know how i can know which hull i have ?
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       07-14-2008, 1:23 PM Reply   
from the two of you who can't tell a difference, I have to ask, what is your riding level? We rode the '06 diamond VLX for a full month and then got the wake hull '06. The difference is night and day. I thought the diamond was throwing a good wake and we added some ballast after a week or so and it threw a decent wake. We got the stock wake hull and it was already bigger than a really loaded diamond - both with and without the wedge.

Ren...try to find somebody's VLX with the right hull, I think '06 and newer should be the same. See if you can tell a difference. My guess is nathan and nubu don't notice for a reason.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-14-2008, 1:34 PM Reply   
The wake hull should have a longer trough/transition.

A diamond hull would not deter me from buying that boat.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-14-2008, 1:36 PM Reply   
I was also told the diamond hull won't have as much of a lip at the top.
Old     (want2ridealot)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-14-2008, 3:31 PM Reply   
ihave ridden behind several 07 and 08 VLXs and i think they were the wake hull but i'll have to check but they were both really good. As far as I know i haven't ridden behind a diamond hull but we are test driving it wednesday so i'll see.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-14-2008, 3:33 PM Reply   
If you're 100% wakeboarders the answer is NO do not get the diamond hull. I rode with Brooke for the month he had the diamond hull and as he said the difference is very noticeable. There's no way I'd get a diamond hull. If you do you'll be sorry but thats just my opinion. If I was spending that kind of money on a boat that's definitely a deal breaker.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-14-2008, 4:25 PM Reply   
im pretty sure that stephen higgins has it backwards. randall was the only one that likes the diamond hull becuase it had less of a lip to it, where the wake hull gives it a little more lip. it just depends on the wake that you like. i would rather have the diamond hull and not the wake hull.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-14-2008, 4:33 PM Reply   
^^^Stephen actually has it right. I saw the video and actually sat nearby Randall as it was playing.

(Message edited by cavlxenvy on July 14, 2008)
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-14-2008, 4:39 PM Reply   
I am remembering that post I referred to now, as Nathan said, Randall preferred the wake because of the speeds he was riding at, not rope length like I mentioned initially. He rides fast enough to where the differences between the Diamond and Wake hulls were more evident.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-14-2008, 5:40 PM Reply   
I was on the boat when it was being filmed and all the riders except Randall liked the diamond hull. But, I just checked with Tony to make sure I remembered right, Most of the riders were not Outlaw/Pro and all the riders except Randall liked the Diamond Hull best. That being said. All the riders except Randall had boats with 3 people and stock ballast and setups determined by the pre-sets. One rider rode at 65 feet and like 20 mph. Tony rode at 80' at 23.5 mph when he normally rides he is 87.5 at 26 mph in our VLX. Randall had a full boat of about 12 people and was like 90'@ 28 mph. At that speed the Diamond hull lipped over where the Wake hull stayed clean. So if you ride at speeds less then 24 mph and shorter then 80' you will be fine. Diamond hull did plane out faster and rode smoother.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       07-14-2008, 5:42 PM Reply   
Stephen is right. my sales man was there when they did that test. and its the reason the 09 Malibu's are getting rid of the wake hull. sbt3 if i was you i would make sure you were compairing apples to apples as far as weight speed and conditions. even malibu will tell you that the wake is the same untill you get up above 25 mph.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-14-2008, 5:51 PM Reply   
I guess everyone else and Malibu is wrong there huh Brooke?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-14-2008, 5:54 PM Reply   
"We got the stock wake hull and it was already bigger than a really loaded diamond"

This was the best part of your post Brooke .
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       07-14-2008, 7:03 PM Reply   
you guy can make fun of whatever you want about what I said. I really don't care. I rode both, one for over a month and now the wake since. There was a difference however you cut it. For those of you with advise, have you ridden both for any duration? It was bigger, I'm telling you, it is easily noticed.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-14-2008, 7:08 PM Reply   
We also had a Pro skier out during the test and he was suppose to try and ski behind the Diamond Hull. Supposedly the diamond hull is ski-able at higher speeds. NOT. It was a yard sale when he went cutting into the wake at speeds and hit that table in the middle. Malibu was expecting the Diamond Hull to be a crossover hull that is why the wake sucks above about 24 mph
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-14-2008, 7:13 PM Reply   
My parents have the diamnond hull. When the north west riders were in town, Brent Star came out on our boat and He couldn't tell the difference.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-14-2008, 7:13 PM Reply   
I rode the old pre 05 VLX dimond hull and it sucked, we slammed it down and the wake was pretty characterless and not overly big. The post 05 wake VLX wake kicks arse when slammed down. Not a direct comparison I know but just another opinion.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-14-2008, 7:15 PM Reply   
Guys I know what I saw and rode behind and yes the stock ballast on the wake hull is better than a loaded diamond hull. With that said we still run Brooke's wake hull with about 2800 lbs total ballast plus people. I ride anywhere from 23.4 to 25 mph depending on the day and what I'm working on but typically around 24.4. I'd say I'm a outlaw level rider for reference.
As far as malibu getting rid of the wake hull for 09, I don't know much about that but I am assuming they are going to the "cut diamond" which the current 2008 23 wakesetter got. The wake on that is nice but the VLX is still better in my opinion. I've been riding a 08 23 a few times now with the factory ballast and an additional 1000 pounds which puts it around 2500 total if I'm not mistaken. It's a nice wake but Brooke's is a little bigger.

And just because they get rid of the hull doesn't mean it's always the right thing to do. Look at Nautique. I have the old 210 hull and prefer it over the new one for sure. I think you'll find many people with that same opinion.

Anyway ride the diamond if it suits your needs get it, thats the great thing about options, not everyone has to have or like the same thing.
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-14-2008, 8:25 PM Reply   
and i continue to ask that question, how can i know if my 08 vlx as that ?%#$? diamond hull or the wake hull ?
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       07-14-2008, 9:07 PM Reply   
wake addict go to the malibu crew and do a serch there are lots of pretty pictures..
Old     (steedracer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-14-2008, 9:40 PM Reply   
Ren, Great question. Looks like most don't think the diamond hull makes a difference. Beautiful Boat. Enjoy the ride on Wednesday!
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-14-2008, 9:54 PM Reply   
wake addict....

If you have a diamond hull, the outer edges of the hull will be squared and cup over much more than a wake hull. It's hard to tell on your own unless you have them side by side. If you REALLY want to know, take your VIN and contact Malibu. They can tell you in two seconds.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-14-2008, 9:59 PM Reply   
wake addict.... this is a diamond hull. I found this boat on wakesiderides.com. I even asked him a while ago how he ended up with the diamond hull. he said it was ordered wrong and he has since got the wake hull. Notice the edges how they cup over.

Upload
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-14-2008, 10:02 PM Reply   
now check out mine.

The edges aren't as harsh and are more rounded.

Upload
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-14-2008, 10:03 PM Reply   
And now everyone will know where my WW name comes from... the license plate.
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-14-2008, 10:08 PM Reply   
ok you mean there ? Upload
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-14-2008, 10:10 PM Reply   
I'm pretty sure thats Brooke's boat with the wrong hull...
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-14-2008, 10:11 PM Reply   
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. Thats it bro.
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-14-2008, 10:13 PM Reply   
ok i see i will call my dealer tomorow to see what hull i will get this friday, they never tell me about hull i love diamonds but only on jewels ! HAHA
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-14-2008, 10:14 PM Reply   
Rod....Yeah. He said the dealer has since gotten him a VLX with a wake hull because the dealer ordered it wrong.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-14-2008, 10:16 PM Reply   
radikal... unless you specified otherwise when ordering, you SHOULD have a Wake hull. This is the standard hull on wakesetters. The diamond hull is for the sunscape, and Response series.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       07-15-2008, 7:41 AM Reply   
Ok, here are the two

white is diamond '06 and black is wake '06. This is why I'm telling you there's a difference. The rest of you who haven't ridden both or heard from somebody that they couldn't tell a difference. I can believe that if someone came and rode your boat and the wake was nice they may not know it was a diamond. I fully admit that. If you rode a wake and went to a diamond, same ballast, same year, you WILL notice. IT is a significant difference.

Having said that, if I rode supras or MC, or CC forever or most of the time and then rode a malibu diamond hull the wake would still be nice. However, it's not the wake making monster that the wake hull is! Get the boat if you want, you asked for thoughts, I'm somebody who rode both regularily. Stan also rode both, even the dealer rode both. We all noticed!

Upload
Upload
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-15-2008, 7:42 AM Reply   
hummm its a boat that a saw in the showroom i dont order it myself....
But i guess then thats it with the wake hull
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-15-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
Since I sell these boats for a living I thought I would chime in. According to Malibu a blind test was performed on these 2 different hulls behind a VLX. The only rider that could tell the difference was Randall. this was because he was riding at 28mph. I have personally pulled riders of all skill levels behind the diamond hull and no one has a clue. I think that the only way to determine if the boat is right for you is to ride behind it. Call Malibu instead of listening to everyone else and get your info from the source. your local dealer should be able to set you up with their reps phone number so you can call him.
Old     (hyrific)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-15-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
We had the diamond hull on a VLX and now have the non diamond and there is a difference in the wake. You have to add more weight on the diamond to get the same size wake. The slalom wake is a little softer though. Anybody who has actually owned both boats will tell you this.

We never use the wedge on our non Diamond hull and we really needed to on the diamond.

That is all
Old     (madison_boarder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-15-2008, 2:41 PM Reply   
Brooke, isn't that YOUR old boat in the first picture showing the Diamond hull (not the one you posted, the picture Wake Addict said he found on themalibucrew.com)? That looks like the color pattern you had, and that sure looks like Okauchee in the background...
Old     (madison_boarder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-15-2008, 2:44 PM Reply   
sorry, I meant wakesiderides.com

Not that it really matters, just funny if it is in fact your old boat.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       07-16-2008, 8:05 AM Reply   
Brian that is the one we had for a little over a month. I didn't retake the picture because the one we have now is identical except for the hull.

And surprise surprise another person who has actually ridden both says there's a difference.