Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old    stillstandin            05-24-2007, 11:33 PM Reply   
Went out to Don Pedro today with some family in town visiting. Had great water, butter even out in the middle. So Im pulling a bunch of the kids, etc. Cant wait till that gets out of the way so I can play. Im out in the middle of the lake, driving along, and boom...I thought I ripped out the entire bottom of the boat. I stop, and this big piece of fiberglass looking think pops out behind us. It was a buoy, that was about 3 feet under the water. So my snorkeling mask on, got underneath the boat to look at the damage...didnt see anything. But I had to really muscle the wheel. A closer look, the rudder is bent back...a little ding in the prop as well. Anybody ever had this done, and how much am I looking to get it fixed. Could have been worse. Ive been going to that lake for since I was a kid, and know where most of the islands are when the water is down. Guess I found one I didnt know about.
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-26-2007, 2:06 PM Reply   
Happened to us last year. Wakesurfing in 18 feet of water and rudder hit something. Bent the shaft that goes through the hull of the boat. had to replace the complete rudder assembley. Bear with me while I find the info. I am at work today and cannot find what I am lookin for on the web. I will see if I can find the box at home. Had to take out the side ballast tank, and muffler to get to the steering arm that mounts to the top of the rudder. not hard, just time consuming. Seems to me I spent about $350 to buy a new one. No way to fix because it could still have damaged the seals and shaftway that the shaft goes through.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-26-2007, 2:23 PM Reply   
I had a bent rudder, dealers says it must be replace, cannot be straightened. Cost for labor and part was $380. Prop can be reparired, usually cost about $100.
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-26-2007, 2:27 PM Reply   
Check out the following link....If the link doesn't work, look at skidim.com and then search rudder. See if this looks like yours. then you can kind go from there.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DISC-RPTNSLOTASS
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-26-2007, 2:43 PM Reply   
Hang on I have more info. Check out marinehardware.com........then you can go to products catalog and then you can eventually download a PDF file for their online catalog. scroll down to the tournament ski boat rudders and you should find something that will fit. I spent a little time talking to them and they got some numbers off my old rudder that matched up directly with one of theirs. this just happened to be the brand that came on my boat from the factory. I think the skidim.com people can get whichever model you might need, just check with them first. You really need to look at the arm that comes off the top of the rudder shaft and find out what shape it is. it's called the tiller arm, that way they send you the correct one the first time. Keep us posted on the outcome.
Old     (spencerwakeside)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-26-2007, 3:03 PM Reply   
That sucks. Happened to me last year pulling a surfer at 10.5mph. Bent the rudder, bent the prop and ripped the wedge off all in one shot. We hit a concrete pillar in 30ft. of water. The boat looked like it went air born. We went to the dealer and installed the parts our self. good luck! Have a good weekend.
Old     (mackr0s)      Join Date: May 2006       05-26-2007, 6:39 PM Reply   
Same happened to me, but I needed glasswork done as I had spider cracks all on the bottom, and one of the stringers (I think that is what it is called) got tore up. I claimed it on my insurance.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-26-2007, 7:00 PM Reply   
Spencer do you have any pics of the damage to the boat? What the hell was that pillar from in 30 feet of water. That would have freaked me out.
Old    stillstandin            05-26-2007, 10:29 PM Reply   
Spoke to the dealership. They said new rudder, new shaft, and fix prop, or new prop...I was gonna change the prop anyway, so that is no big deal. The funny thing was the ranger told me the buoy was there to mark an under water obticle. The buoy was the obsitcle. Needless to say, I called the insurance company. I have to pay my diductable, and they said they may go after don pedro for it. I checked the depth of the area I hit the buoy, and it was 72 ft....no island near there. Wierd. Bummer is it will be a few weeks b4 my boat is fixed....nice start to the summer.
Old     (mackr0s)      Join Date: May 2006       05-27-2007, 4:33 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear that man. Its a bummer. I hit a stump once on memorial day and didnt get the boat back till July 4th. But that was a dealer. Last time I hit something with my 21v it was only in the shop 2 and 1/2 weeks.