Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old    du540            09-06-2005, 7:29 AM Reply   
Well, he was very sketchy about getting in the water and he only rode for about 10 seconds but.....I think it counts.

I thought I'd be lucky to just get AJ in the water for a little "turning over" practice but.....after quite a bit of convincing we got him to grab the handle and give it a shot. First pull he went over on his face and wanted back in the boat. I told him if he tried just one more time we'd stop. Second pull, he popped up and rode about 30 or 40 feet before going down. In all the excitement, we got no video and only one blurry shot from the dig. cam just as he pops up.

We'll be at it again next week so we'll def. get good vid and photos to post.

Getting into position
Getting into position

Almost ready
Almost ready

AJ's first "ride"
AJ's first "ride"

(Message edited by DU540 on September 06, 2005)
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-06-2005, 7:43 AM Reply   
My son started at age six and over the weekend we were looking at the pictures of how small he looked . We spent a week at Shasta that year and he started riding the second day by the end of the week we couldnt get him to drop off we would pull him for miles . Post your pictures after the next trip .

(Message edited by mitchj on September 06, 2005)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-06-2005, 7:49 AM Reply   
Looks to me like he was signaling for a double up.

That's awesome
Old     (gypsy12)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-06-2005, 9:45 AM Reply   
That gives me chills! It's awesome! What a brave little guy.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-06-2005, 9:50 AM Reply   
that is awesome...i couldn't even get my damn 3.5 yr old nephew to ride on the go-cart with me yesterday...so cool!@!
Old     (cubanismo)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-06-2005, 10:09 AM Reply   
I got chills seeing that last pic!
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-06-2005, 10:41 AM Reply   
Rem, what size and brand board is that? I want to get my little one started next summer. That 2nd pic is soo cool!!
Old     (roberto)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-06-2005, 12:14 PM Reply   
That's awesome! I've had my son riding with me (he stands between my feet and we both hold the handle) but he's not cool yet with being in the lake by himself. Love the 2nd picture with him flshing the "L"oser sign to the driver. Sweet.
Old    dahui            09-06-2005, 12:40 PM Reply   
I think that is his custom hand painted board he had made. That rocks.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       09-06-2005, 12:59 PM Reply   
It the "AJ-99" pro model, check it out
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/250321.html?1125181290

The thing is a kid startin that young, in 10 years we will all be ridin his pro model!! That kid is sick!!!! Congats REM, for havin one of the coolest kids I have ever seen!
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-06-2005, 1:53 PM Reply   
hell yea
Old    du540            09-06-2005, 2:09 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, for all the kind words. I'm hoping he stays interested in it long enough to have a shot at being good. Our family all snowboards in the winter too so hopefully he won't get burned out anytime soon.

In the second pic, I actually was asking him to give the sign for "I love you" (fore-finger, pinky and thumb) and he's a little slow on the draw with the pinky.

Paul Yeah, it's a lil custom board and bg has linked the info there.

It was VERY difficult to actually get him to try. He was pretty freaked out at first, hitting me and kicking me but I said, "I'm not giving up." Once he got in the water he was OK. I can't even describe the feeling when I let go and watched my lil guy pop up and cruise away from me. It's got to be alot like the same deal when you teach a kid to ride a bike and ya let go and he rides off on his own for the first time. Don't get too many feelings like that in life....gotta cherish it.

BTW, AJ and I have talked about what to do when he needs a bigger board. AJ says he'd like to pass this one along to another lil boy or girl so they can learn to ride too, "and they will have fun!", he says. So.....If anyone has a little one who will be ready in about two years, we may be able to hook you up.

Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-06-2005, 2:49 PM Reply   
Awesome, just a shame he won't legally be able to enjoy a post-ride beer for another 18 yrs!

Pete
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-06-2005, 3:05 PM Reply   
Parks who?

Good job!
Old     (owaved)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-06-2005, 4:07 PM Reply   
REM,
Your post is very inspirational. I have a two year old who, on land, picks up a handle tied to the tower and runs back and forth pretending to wakeboard. If you would post or email more details on the modified board you created (fins, what you used to seal the board, etc.) and what you used for bindings, I am ready to take on the project to prepare for next summer. Thanks.
Dave
PS-If you and AJ are in Northern CA/Delta area or are ever in this area, let me know. We would be glad to host you for a pull and maybe AJ can inspire/teach my son.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-06-2005, 5:10 PM Reply   
lol jrod - that's exactly what i thought too! hit it!

amazing rem - that kid is quite something. congrats!
Old    mile_high_rider            09-06-2005, 5:11 PM Reply   
WORD!
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-06-2005, 5:36 PM Reply   
REM - Awesome pictures. That looks like it is right out in front of my house just north of Renton Air Field on South Lake Washington (in Washington State), am I correct?
Old    sparky68            09-06-2005, 7:48 PM Reply   
Congrat's REM. I can't even get my four year old close to a wakeboard on water. On land he's all over it.

For anybody trying to get there young one's up on a wake board or Ski's, I did what some one else suggested. Get on a knee board behind the boat with them. I've got a dozen of niece's, nephew's and their friends up this way.

Wish I remembered which post or member it was to give Mad Prop's to!!!
Old     (boofer)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-06-2005, 9:42 PM Reply   
That is spectacular. Of course you know not to push him too hard or he might develop some fear.

In any case, we would like to congratulate your little big man!!!!!!
Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-06-2005, 9:59 PM Reply   
That's awesome. My 6 year old will be giving it a try in a couple of weeks. Our 4 year old wants nothing to do with the board but he likes to tube.
Old    du540            09-07-2005, 8:32 AM Reply   
Dave:

Check your email, I sent you some info.

bsflower:

Nope, we live in Portland and we were out on the Willamette, just above the falls in Oregon City/West Linn.

We've been very lucky with this lil guy's personality. Both his mom and I are very "adventurous" and I think they pick up on that. He's never been afraid to take chances and try something. Not sure if that's always good, but. It helps that I have a production company that produces wake vids cuz he "gets to" watch ALOTof wakeboarding on video and has gone on a few video shoots with us. Ya know, he wants to do what the "big kids" are doing, lol.
Old    jayp            09-07-2005, 10:02 PM Reply   
I think you nailed it with the:

"Ya know, he wants to do what the "big kids" are doing, lol."

He has seen some excellent riding from the boat. Now he probably want to do spins and inverts.

He want's to wakeboard. He wants to be like you. The third picture shows it all. That was all AJ. He was the one holding onto that roap. And he held on.

That boy is gonna be one great wakeboarder.

He has the desire and the means. All at the age of three.

Old    du540            09-08-2005, 9:06 AM Reply   
Thanks Jay,

I just want to give him a chance to be good, and have fun.

Looks like we are set for a mid-day next week. Not sure yet which day will work best with weather and Kerrie's schedule. Probably going to be Wednesday or Thursday.

Also we could do another midweek day the following week. I'm working four 10s to take a day off to cover for our daycare lady taking vacation.

We'll set it up.
Old    southwaker            09-19-2005, 10:19 AM Reply   
Thats neat it would scare me too bad but hey thats really cool