Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (bdavis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-27-2009, 1:40 PM Reply   
I hate the jabsco water puppy pumps on my X-30. I can't be the only one who does so, what should I swap them out with? What did you put in yours?
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-27-2009, 2:14 PM Reply   
What color impellers do you have? If you have the black ones get rid of those and get yellow or green. Ive had 3 pumps with the yellow impellers for a year now and havent had any problems.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-27-2009, 2:40 PM Reply   
Brett,
You are not the only one that burns through the black ones. Here is thread that might be a little more informational on what we have found - http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/712968.html?1247240411

Hope this helps. If you have other ballast questions give me a shout
john@waterskis.com
www.waterskis.com
Old     (bdavis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-27-2009, 3:30 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info. I guess i'll try the green ones, but I swear this will be the last time I replace them.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-27-2009, 5:07 PM Reply   
I have an extra green one, PM me if you want it. $30 shipped (what it cost me). It was hard to find, so I ordered two, only needed one.

mikeskiw@gmail.com
Old     (ldc)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-28-2009, 8:55 PM Reply   
I had the same issue with my water puppy, when i called Jabsco direct they told me to swap to the yellow impellers. They have worked perfect ever since, never locking up or blowing a fuse again.

dc
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-28-2009, 10:18 PM Reply   
My boat is an 04... and I fill and empty about 3-5 times a day... and I have the black impellers.

I use drysuit seal saver and zipper lube on them.

I also have a system on how I save my impellers.

When I get to the lake:

I press FILL

After I am done FILLING I press EMPTY for a second so the fins are ready to EMPTY.

After I am done EMPTYING I press FILL for a second so the fins are ready to FILL.

Its not that big of a deal... but I have replaced my impellers ONCE in the past 5 years!
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-02-2009, 3:44 PM Reply   
That is the downfall to impeller pumps, they burn up when ran dry. Good thing about them is they can prime easily. I dont know of any other options, MC uses the JABSCO because it is a reversible pump, drains and fills from the same inlet and it wont allow water to enter your ballast tanks when not using them. Aerator pumps will not prevent this from happening and they will not prime themselves. They have to be mounted lower than the water line to force a prime. Good thing about aerator pumps (ie: tsunami 800, 1200) is they put out more GPM's and they wont burn up when ran dry. The JABSCO puts out 9 GPM, tsunami 800 puts out 13.4 GPM.

Did they put an auto shut off on that when you empty them to prevent dry running? sounds like changing impeller colors might be a good option. If you dont run them dry they should have little problems.
Old     (bdavis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-02-2009, 7:43 PM Reply   
I try to set the vanes for filling when done emptying. The problem is I can barely see the switch lights on a bright day and can't hear the pumps running. An auto shutoff would be perfect or even a timer.