Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 06, 2009

Old     (wake_to_wake)      Join Date: May 2007       04-13-2009, 2:59 PM Reply   
I was just wondering if there any laws against putting sliders in the ground in Wisconsin lakes I am thinking about putting one in and am wondering about the consequences
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-14-2009, 10:00 AM Reply   
Check Wisco DNR's website
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-14-2009, 10:22 AM Reply   
I know our lake = only year round structures are docks, which have special requirements... I would say depending how populated your lake is/how often DNR shows up would be a big factor.
Old     (wake_to_wake)      Join Date: May 2007       04-14-2009, 7:08 PM Reply   
ive checked the dnr website but after about an hour of searching the site i couldnt find anything pertaining in water structures
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-15-2009, 10:01 AM Reply   
It would be similar to a ski jump @ least in our area...
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-15-2009, 10:17 AM Reply   
just put it in...
Old     (wakebadass)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-15-2009, 10:25 AM Reply   
Does the DNR frequent your lake? Does your lake have its own police boat? If not I would just put it up. If you do have a cop on your lake maybe you would be best off askin the cops if it would be ok. Its gonna be a waste of time if you put it up and they tear it down.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-15-2009, 1:32 PM Reply   
Legality is one issue, liability another. I don't think there is a lot to worry about if well constructed and out of the way of boat traffic, but others worry about getting sued.

Anyone know of any actual cases where the builder / owner of an obstacle that was successfully sued?
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-15-2009, 1:52 PM Reply   
we had fish and game give us a hard time because it "disturbed local wildlife".
Old     (mkrueger313)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-15-2009, 3:05 PM Reply   
The Wisconsin DNR does NOT like sliders... I've been hassled many times for having sliders out on the lake. We had one that was 7 feet tall that we designed to sink to the bottom of a sand bar, the DNR showed up within a few hours and we had to drag it into shore. Also there are rules stating that you are not supposed to go within 100' of a structure while driving so they could knock you for that... another rule is that you must stay 100' from shore while pulling a skier and most likely that will be broken by driving in toward the slider assuming that it isn't on a sandbar or somethign like that... like the guys said before if the DNR doesn't come on your lake much and your neighbors are cool enough not to call you in, you might be fine but always remember that anyone driving by that doesn't like the look of it or doesn't like wakeboarding can call the DNR and they will come looking for you and make you take it out. I keep my slider on my lake which is private and has no public boat landing so the DNR cannot even get onto the lake if they wanted to, except if a resident on the lake lets them use their boat landing.
Old     (wake_to_wake)      Join Date: May 2007       04-15-2009, 3:59 PM Reply   
Im planning on as Jr said just putting it in. The police do have a boat on our lake but they never come on the lake on weekdays which is when i ride. Hopefully we dont get hasseled
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-16-2009, 10:00 AM Reply   
I have a buddy that put in a few small sliders a few years back & they are still there (in IL) nobody has messed with them. I have other friends that put one in & it got cut out because the DNR/Cops didn't know what it was.

That 100' rule is true, but there is a stipulatuion on the DNR site about water ski jumps.

If you don't have a bunch of DNR on your lake, just put it in. If you do, you might want to ask first... might save some hassle later if they know what you are doing.
Old     (bird_dog)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-17-2009, 1:40 PM Reply   
paint DNR on the side of the and say it if for field work studies. do not remove without proper a authorization.
and dont use it if the man is out.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-20-2009, 10:01 AM Reply   
^^ LOL