Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-24-2010, 3:14 PM Reply   
I did a generic search for "helmet" and really didn't see much. Does anyone use a skateboarding helmet in place of a wakeboarding helmet when out in the water?

What helmet do most of you wear if at all?

Thanks.

Mario-
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-24-2010, 4:01 PM Reply   
I use a Protec B2 on rails. It fits nicely and doesn't move around when properly tightened. Only problem I've had with it is one of the ear flaps going missing since they are only held on with snaps.
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       03-24-2010, 4:23 PM Reply   
All I use is a Protec Skate helmet. I really couldn't say if it protects me from water related injuries, but it is good for obstacles. It floats as well as any wake helmet, it drys fairly fast, and best of all it is cheaper. Are you going to be needing a helmet for safety on obstacles or just a helmet for extra protection behind a boat?
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-24-2010, 4:33 PM Reply   
Shred Ready Supper Scrappy. Best fit and look of every helmet I have tried. I've used the protect wake helmets, skate helmets, bern, and capix. Shred Ready is by far my favorite.

www.shredready.com
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-24-2010, 4:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpav View Post
All I use is a Protec Skate helmet. I really couldn't say if it protects me from water related injuries, but it is good for obstacles. It floats as well as any wake helmet, it drys fairly fast, and best of all it is cheaper. Are you going to be needing a helmet for safety on obstacles or just a helmet for extra protection behind a boat?
Just extra protection behind the boat. I am still a n00b rider. I need to be safe as I need to go to work every Monday.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-24-2010, 5:31 PM Reply   
Dont know about the shred ready but it sure sounds good.

I use a Protech with flaps because my skill set is weak and I catch edges that back slap my mellon into the water at 100/ 10M2sg and it friggen hurts. I have a mortgage and famiily so the words "cerebrial hematoma" mean a little more.

Wher a lid brother. Thie chicks think its sexy.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-24-2010, 5:36 PM Reply   
SHRED READY!!!!

Super scrappy is where its at!
Old    benj_t            03-24-2010, 6:12 PM Reply   
The Pro-Tec Two Face helmet has been my favorite helmet. Ive got the White/Green and the Black/Red two face helmets. Also check out the new Liquid Force helmets, they are made by Triple-Eight, a popular skateboard helmet brand, and they have sick LF graphics.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-24-2010, 6:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitkiller View Post
Dont know about the shred ready but it sure sounds good.

I use a Protech with flaps because my skill set is weak and I catch edges that back slap my mellon into the water at 100/ 10M2sg and it friggen hurts. I have a mortgage and famiily so the words "cerebrial hematoma" mean a little more.

Wher a lid brother. Thie chicks think its sexy.

P-U-I--fix when sobpherr.. er.. suber;&^&%.... sober!
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       03-24-2010, 6:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaijogo View Post
Just extra protection behind the boat. I am still a n00b rider. I need to be safe as I need to go to work every Monday.
Like everyone else suggested, I would go with Shred Ready. Their Helmets are awesome, comfortable, and they keep you safe.
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-24-2010, 8:34 PM Reply   
I'll take a look at all these options. I think my wife and kids would prefer me to be safe over sexy. But if a helmet gives me that, I'm in.
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-24-2010, 8:41 PM Reply   
The shred ready makes me feel so locked in and safe.
Old     (wallnut21)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-25-2010, 2:14 PM Reply   
Another vote for the Shred Ready Super Scrappy! I've tried Protec and Capix and Shred Ready beats them all in comfort & fit. The ear flaps aren't as solid as the Protec but they work well.
Old     (woawake)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-25-2010, 8:02 PM Reply   
http://www.shredready.com/site/

do it
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-26-2010, 8:38 AM Reply   
Can the Super Scrappy be worn forwards or backwards? That bill on there looks like it would catch water on a toe digger and be jerking your head back.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-26-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
The strap that goes behind your head simply swivels from front to back so you can wear it both ways. It takes absolutely no time, just move it and shred I've taken some gnarly falls in mine and never had a water catching issue.
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-26-2010, 8:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake_upppp View Post
Can the Super Scrappy be worn forwards or backwards? That bill on there looks like it would catch water on a toe digger and be jerking your head back.
Definitely nothing like the capix. That thing would catch every single fall! Never had any issue with the SS.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       03-27-2010, 7:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake_upppp View Post
Yes, bill forward or back.
Old     (sammm724centurion)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-26-2010, 11:41 AM Reply   
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-27-2010, 1:58 PM Reply   
I use the protec wake but am thinking about getting a different style helmet for this season
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       03-28-2010, 6:54 PM Reply   
I just ordered this one.
Old     (shredred)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-29-2010, 8:56 AM Reply   
for all the kind words about our helmets.
FYI, the two face was protects rip off of the super scrappy and the HOG lock system that JJ is talking about and we were very flattered..

and we do custom graphics...
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-12-2010, 12:58 PM Reply   
I have one last question about helmets.

Plastic ear protection vs. snap on ear protection?

I am looking at the standard full cut (shred ready full plastic ear protection) vs. snap on material ear protection.

What are y'alls experience with both types of setups?

Thanks.

Mario-