Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Csbball)      Join Date: Sep 2013       05-27-2015, 7:53 AM Reply   
Hey everyone
I live in ca but wanting a boat from az, I don't want to pay the boat tax which I close to 9 %
Was wondering how I can register the boat in az so I don't have to pay ca taxes in the boat.
Any ideas would be great thanks
I travel a lot to az for work so I was thinking about
Just using a boat storage facility and use that as my registration address?
Any ideas thanks
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-27-2015, 8:05 AM Reply   
I can only speak for WI here but this maybe an option ....

In WI you pay only on the boat itself, not the trailer, or anything else... so when I bought our boat I had an itemized bill of sale, showing
BOAT - $XXX
Trailer - $XXX
Waterski Accessories - $XXX
Stereo Equip. - $XXX

TOTAL - $XXXXX

Then when I go to register, the lower number for the boat (less taxes) has merit.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-27-2015, 9:07 AM Reply   
I thought there was a loophole that if you bought the boat out of state and you kept it or used it out of state 6-9 months of the year out of state and or had storage bill's or receipts to prove you were keeping it out of state then you could avoid California's sales tax. Here in Ca out of state CF numbers especially AZ cf numbers are a big red flag for Mussel inspection.
Old     (Csbball)      Join Date: Sep 2013       05-27-2015, 12:40 PM Reply   
I don't use my boat in ca where there are mussle inspections
Ca DMV says if boat is bought at another state and is registered there for 1 full year, when brought and registered in ca then you won't pay any sales tax, which in my book will be 5k
Was told to register the trailer in cal, and boat in az.
After 1 year register boat in cal?
Old     (rene)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-27-2015, 2:30 PM Reply   
Chris, I bought my X-Star in Texas and never had to pay sales tax to CA.

As you can see in my profile pic it is sitting on New Melones Lake which is in CA with TX hull numbers.

I have had TX hull numbers since 2001 and have been to many many lakes including the delta, Havasu, Powell, Shasta, etc and never had any issues getting launched.
Old     (K_Dubbs)      Join Date: Feb 2015       05-27-2015, 2:39 PM Reply   
Have any family members that live in a state a different state with lower sales tax? Have them register it under their name and you as the owner. I just purchased a new boat out of state this spring and registered in NY (8.75%)....6K later I now have an orange sticker that says I am allowed to use my boat. In hind sight I should have registered it with my brother who lives in FL
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       05-27-2015, 3:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rene View Post
Chris, I bought my X-Star in Texas and never had to pay sales tax to CA.

As you can see in my profile pic it is sitting on New Melones Lake which is in CA with TX hull numbers.

I have had TX hull numbers since 2001 and have been to many many lakes including the delta, Havasu, Powell, Shasta, etc and never had any issues getting launched.
I'm having trouble following this... Are you saying you haven't registered your boat since buying it in 2001? Am I missing something? You should have to register it in the whatever state you live in every year or so. Do you register in in TX?
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-27-2015, 4:26 PM Reply   
Ahhh, nothing like a good tax fraud discussion in a public forum . . . .
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-27-2015, 4:53 PM Reply   
Just be happy you don't live in BC, Canada where tax on a used boat is 12%. I just sent my check in....F'in Government!!
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-27-2015, 6:34 PM Reply   
^^ Like Phillyboarder, I'm thinking this is a ballsy question to ask on a forum using your real name as a handle. But, perhaps that's just your screen name. Not quite the same, but close to people posting videos of their own crimes in process on Youtube or Facebook.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       05-27-2015, 9:26 PM Reply   
I have an answer but I'm going to avoid this thread lol
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-28-2015, 7:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post
I have an answer but I'm going to avoid this thread lol
Just jam your music at the boat ramp loud enough to take any focus off your tags.
Old     (rene)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-28-2015, 3:42 PM Reply   
Csbball, Read this. http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub52.pdf It will give you all the answers you need about "use" (a.k.a. Sales tax).

corerider, My boat is legally registered in TX even though I live in CA...All I was saying is I use it all over California, Arizona, Nevada Utah, etc with no issues at the launch due to having TX hull numbers.

In fact, I've never launched it in TX since I've owned it. Maybe I'll plan a trip this summer to Austin. LOL
Old     (Csbball)      Join Date: Sep 2013       05-29-2015, 8:53 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the replies
For the ppl saying it's tax fraud, technically it's not, I work in az a lot and if I put the boat in the water in az than were all good
Just talked to az fish and game and said It's legal to register it in az as a non resident as long as I use the boat in az, I'm legally aloud to use my boat in other states water ways as long as my primary use is az water ways.
So I'm not braking any laws, and after 1 year if I feel I want to register the boat in ca, well then I don't have to pay any taxes for the boat purchase.
Thanks Rene for all the info I appreciate it,