Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through May 13, 2004

Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-26-2004, 6:41 PM Reply   
i currently own an inboard malibu response lx. to weight it I add about 375lb bag in the front and a 400lb bag in the back. i also have the wedge that comes with most malibu boats. I plan on upgrading to a vdrive boat this summer(not sure which model or brand yet). My wake right now is decent with 800lbs of ballast, wedge, and 6-8 people. I was wondering how much bigger the wake will be with a professional model v-drive and internal ballast system. Will I need to add aditional ballast to the v-drive to get pro sized wakes??? How much bigger are the wakes of a v-drive compared to an inboard ski boat? I don't want to buy a new v-drive and find out that I have to still add 1000lbs of ballast to the factory ballast to get a decent wake. Boats I am considering are the super air nautique, malibu VLX, and centurion avalanche or enzo.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-27-2004, 7:21 AM Reply   
I don't know the spec's on all the ballast system options for all those boats but generally the wake is not going to be that much bigger with just factory ballast than what you have now. The SAN wake will be steeper, so you may get booted easier. I don't think the VLX wake will be much different with just factory ballast. Probably just a lil bit bigger.
Check out Joe Umali's video of Canyon Lake (in the Wakeboarding Discussion) and you can see how steep the SAN wake is(you can adjust it some by adding to the bow). The VLX has a longer transition. Two totally different hulls/wakes - you definately need to ride behind them for yourself.
I've never ridden behind the new Centurions.
If you want a "pro-level" wake then you'll need to add beyond factory ballast - I guess. Then again, I've seen Phillip Soven ride with just stock ballast on his families' SANTE plenty of times while training.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-27-2004, 3:25 PM Reply   
Thanks, thats what I figured. Because when I watch wakeboard videos, they have at least a 500lb bag up front and like 4 or 5 passengers. I guess I will add after market ballasts to all the storage compartments if I get a new boat.