Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-03-2011, 7:27 AM Reply   
I have a inland surfer sweet spot, with the 2 fins that came with it. I know you can add another set, or bigger set, but was un sure what effect doing this have on the board?
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-04-2011, 11:20 AM Reply   
Adding more fins creates more surface area for the water to cling to. So it creates more drag and slows you down.

Ok, that's actually true. But, it also gives you bigger "flippers" to generate more speed. And it gives you more leverage to "drive" that board around.

So, the result is a bigger pocket and more control.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-04-2011, 11:23 AM Reply   
so it actually aids you in pumping for speed. correct?
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-04-2011, 11:29 AM Reply   
It aids you in CARVING for speed. You pump a skim board for speed, because you only have the board itself to act as the "flipper". With a surf style board, like the Sweet Spot, you carve it to generate speed with the fins and then launch off of the top.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-04-2011, 11:38 AM Reply   
yes that's what I meant. what would be a good fin to add to the stock fins?
Old     (islander033)      Join Date: May 2008       03-04-2011, 4:13 PM Reply   
I run a pair of the IS big boys with my sweet spot.

http://www.inlandsurfer.com/shop/Det...=81&category=6

I tried the big boys + the regular fins (all 4) and it felt slower and very tight.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-04-2011, 4:39 PM Reply   
so just the IS big boys and thats it?
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-04-2011, 6:55 PM Reply   
Thats all I use (Big Boys) on my Sweetspot

Ive tried with BB and the stock fins and it was like a Battleship running straight and true and felt slower. Id like to try that combo again and see if I can make a go of it again. I know some ride it as a quad and can thrash on it like no other.

The other guys that I go out with fell in love with the Big Boys on their boards and have either replaced their fins or are going too.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-05-2011, 6:45 AM Reply   
ah ok sweet
Old     (islander033)      Join Date: May 2008       03-07-2011, 7:00 AM Reply   
I've tried big boys and burps on a friends carbon sweet spot and couldn't really tell that the burps were on the board.
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-07-2011, 10:13 AM Reply   
I borrowed Duramats big boy fins last year and tried them on my Inland Surfer Red Woody. I was surprised how much they improved the down the line speed both when carving for speed and when just stepping on the front of the board. The big boys also made it more stable but more difficult to spin. I got some big boys over the winter and will be riding with them full time this year.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-07-2011, 11:17 AM Reply   
so it sounds like big boys for carving speed and airs.. smaller for spins?