Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       10-10-2008, 7:30 AM Reply   
Has anyone on here ever been part of a medical study or scientific experiment that paid money for your time just so you could support your habbit of wakeboarding or whatever?? Reason I ask is im thinking of doing one and wonder what everyones opinion on it are??? In one hand your bettering man kind by helping apporve better / cheaper drugs or whatever but on the other hand your turning yourself into a hamster kind of. Any opinion is appreciated.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-10-2008, 7:39 AM Reply   
More info. on what exactly your talking about, specifics wise please. Sounds interesting.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-10-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
Just a word of warning. Some guys in the Uk volunteered for one of those classes and it went horribly wrong. They went into agonizing fits and all of them ended up with horrific injuries.Some worse than others. Losing fingers and toes,brain damage etc. The company, for obvious reasons, went bankrupt so I don't even think they had anybody to sue.Also this was a case that made headlines but who knows if other people who partake in these experiments suffer any long term ill effects? Don't mean to be a prophet of doom but you need to weigh up the risks.The reason the money is good is because of the risk.

On the flip side my stepson did it a few times and made some decent money (also to help with his studies)but I don't think he did it again after what happened to these guys.
I should imagine you probably have to sign a disclaimer as well???
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-10-2008, 7:56 AM Reply   
Risk of something severe happening is somewhat low, but probably not worth the risk of your future just so you can ride a bit more now. Just get a normal job.
Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       10-10-2008, 7:56 AM Reply   
Yes, there is a disclaimer... Its through a research institute in my neck of the woods called PRACS.... Now these studies go on everyday and Pracs is a pretty repuitable organization but yeah i hear ya on the scary stuff... The study I would do is on a non approved antiobiotic. Most of these cases have already been studied elsewhere and pracs is usually the final step before approval but chris your paragraph freaks the crap out of me!!!
Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       10-10-2008, 7:59 AM Reply   
A-dub. I have a normal job. But it jsut pays the bills. would like some extra cash to put towards a boat or maybe a trip to florida....
Old     (wakex2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-10-2008, 8:01 AM Reply   
jackpot
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-10-2008, 8:02 AM Reply   
I don't want to scare you and I am sure thousands of young people do it but these experiments are normally always the last step before submitting for approval. They do all the animal testing but obviously FDA will not approve them until they have been tested on humans. That's where you come in
Just be careful that's all .....
Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       10-10-2008, 8:05 AM Reply   
Thanks man! I hope if your sick someday and need an antiobiotic that my study helps you!!! My everyday job does not give me the feeling that im doing good for the human race and maybe this study will help that. At least im hoping :-)
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-10-2008, 8:32 AM Reply   
Maybe I'm super conservative (not the political party), but it would not be worth it to me. Not to rant, but I will, but a major foreseeable problem for society is our tolerance to anti-biotics. The fact that 20 yr olds are on the highest rated antibiotics for what I would label non-major illnesses is going to be a major problem. When they're older, they will require totally different strains of anti-biotics because of what they built up when they were young. This is when illnesses are life threatening. It's a problem that these anti-biotics are prescribed. New strains are required, and thats where you come in to test the new strains. Keep in mind this is more than likely a strong strain derived from what is currently available, and you more than likely will build a tolerance depending on how much is tested. Thus any anti-biotic under that strain you will be tolerant to. Therefore, if you don't mind confining your anti-biotic choices when you may actually need them, that's your choice. At the age of 25, I say no to most any anti-biotic so that my tolerance is low if I ever become very ill. Probably one of the safer studies, but I still wouldn't do it. This is all my opinion of course.
Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       10-10-2008, 9:07 AM Reply   
No dude I totally get you!!!! I asked about the tolerance thing and they informed me that the dosage I would be on is to low to build tolerance to and it is a generic version of an already mainstream antibiotic, so one that is out there that there trying to copy and approve for sale to save money. I am uneasy about it and I get the whole when im old ill be needing new strains of it... I go in for a screening in about an hour and im gonna get all the info as humanly possible to help make my decision. I wann live as long as possible and if this study conflicts with that I will not be doing it!!! Ill keep you posted man and I really appreciate your concern! :-)
Old     (dillls)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-10-2008, 11:11 AM Reply   
How much $$ will you make??
Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       10-10-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
$3500. I am at work right now but I backed out of it! Ill tell why when im home.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-10-2008, 11:31 AM Reply   
did you watch the show Testeees..... that seems accurate
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-10-2008, 11:59 AM Reply   
In school I was super low on cash and stressed out about it. So I did a medical study testing an anxiety medication. Got paid a much needed $900. Definitely helped my anxiety....the $900 that is...not the medication.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-10-2008, 12:02 PM Reply   
$3500??????? Wow, i thought they gave you like $60. I need to look into becoming one of these guinea pigs.
Old     (waajusshappened)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-10-2008, 12:34 PM Reply   
Clarification: It's not that your test drug would be "stronger" that other ABX's just possessing a different action (the way it disrupts bacterial DNA synthesis, etc). One of my best friends is a clinical drug studies monitor and as previous posters have said, you are not the first test subject for this drug. It has to go through animal testing (including mammals like you and I) and then upwards to a small subset of humans then a larger subset of humans before getting final approval. ABX's are generally safe anyway (aside from GI problems and worst case=anaphylaxis)...it's not as if you're testing a chemo drug or a cardiac med. However, get all the info you can get before you make your decision and be sure to weigh the pro's and con's before you commit.
Just my $0.02 worth.
Old     (waajusshappened)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-10-2008, 12:36 PM Reply   
Besides, wouldn't having a paper route be more fun?..lol
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-10-2008, 12:36 PM Reply   
I know that they pay good money. For practically doing nothing. Why?? There's your warning right there.

And Jesse if you are uneasy about it, don't do it.
Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       10-10-2008, 2:39 PM Reply   
I didnt do it... walked in there for screening and was handed a 46 page disclaimer... who has time to read through all that??? was put in a room with pry 100 people to fill it out looked around and said this in not for me. dropped the disclaimer on the floor and walked out with my head held high!!! You can say thats cocky but I feel like I made the right decision! Nothing in this life worth having comes easy! Ill make my money the hard way before I ever do a medical study! My $.02 Thanks for all the input guys! :-)
Old     (megatmoe)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-10-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
What about the boat Jesse!!!??? haha! You need to drive down from Fargo and pick up my Supra you S.O.B! Winter is almost here and I know there isnt do up there so get a part time job and start saving!
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-10-2008, 5:14 PM Reply   
I've done a medical study before and it was for RU486. Very small dose to monitor the levels in the blood over a 24hr period.

What sucked was the blood draws every hour. Was paid $800.
Otherwise no long lasting effects.
There are many other paying medical studies that are not invasive. They just pay less.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-10-2008, 5:29 PM Reply   
Did you watch that new show Testees where the guy gets pregnant from his test study. Funny new show on FX
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-10-2008, 5:36 PM Reply   
i volunteered for pain research at ucsd. first, i had to get tested to make sure i was a good candidate. for getting tested for a couple hours, i got paid $100 + $35 for lunch & parking. once i passed, i had to go once a week for an 8hr day. each time, they would either give me high dose or low dose of meds, or placebo. then they'd inject on my forearm right under the skin, a shot of the hottest pepper. yes, it hurt like a mutha! one of my choices was "worst pain imaginable." yeah, i picked that each time!

3 tests = $500/day + $35 for lunch & parking
grand total = $1740

i wanna sign up for more! they were looking for subjects to test how marijuana relieves pain. i was too late for that one.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-10-2008, 7:13 PM Reply   
Frankie using you as a guinea pig?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-10-2008, 7:55 PM Reply   
pretty much.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-10-2008, 7:59 PM Reply   
Well your money is her money......
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-10-2008, 8:01 PM Reply   
*sigh* so true...
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-11-2008, 1:28 PM Reply   
I use to be a pharmaceutical rep and I always wondered where they get volunteers for ridiculously high dose studies. Wakeworld.com

lol

stay away from anti depressant studies
Old     (ridinonair)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-11-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
Yeah because you might kill yourself like paxil!