Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 19, 2005

Old    whitechocolate            05-11-2005, 11:43 AM Reply   

I got in to a deep discussion over this very topic with my friend Jason and his woman, who are country lover's. And who is now in possession of a very loud boat system. You can see my concern. LOL

IMO there is a time and place for every type of music.

Example, You would not play Death metal music at your mom's funeral. You would not play classical music at a Metalica concert. You would not play
"Hitler's Greatest Hits" at the local Jewish Community center. Ok that was a little extreme, Im sorry. But you get the point,

"YOU DONT PLAY COUNTRY MUSIC WHILE PARTYING ON THE WATER". IMO there is a place to play country music, Its called a bar, These bars are located in safe places (in the sticks) better know as BFE. Where if the sound of country music spills out and on to the street it wont hurt anyone else. Kind of like how they test nuclear weapons. Out in remote locations.

Jason and his woman were defending country music vigorously, sighting how country music is the most popular music around. And how more people listen to country music than all other music put together. Bla Bla Bla. And how its fun to know the words and sing along , I almost wanted to throw up. Harold played a country song on his boat the song went like this" barbecued chicken and aluminum foil as long as I have enough for gas and oil", It was the gayest most lame song ever, Is this they type of sing along they are talking about. The nightmare of that song is as you see still stuck in my head. I said if you use that theory them Mc Donald's is the best restraunt in the world and NASCAR is the best sport. Just because lots of people like it doesn't mean it's good.

I knew Jason and I would not see eye to eye on this subject so I decided to install a remote cut off switch in his boat so that if he decided he wanted to annoy me with country music he can be put on MUTE.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-11-2005, 11:47 AM Reply   
not that I am a fan of country music, (unless it is old, Johnny, Waylon, etc) but you think listening to stuff like "bitches and ho's" (you get the idea) sounds better on the water? I for one don't, but that is just my opinion.
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-11-2005, 11:48 AM Reply   
It's all about what you enjoy.....

Some could say Rap does not belong in the boat, but on some gang infested street somewhere....

If you want people to respect your lifestyle, you need to respect theirs. Untie your boat and move away if it irks you that bad...
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-11-2005, 11:48 AM Reply   
I wish we could give out stars on this site....you'd get two!

Couldn't agree more.
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-11-2005, 11:55 AM Reply   
Grant that was the best post I've seen in a while. I think you should have had this coversation with Jason before you put the system in!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like the kill switch... maybe with a keypad.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-11-2005, 11:56 AM Reply   
Grant you are right about country...

IMO, county is popular because chicks dig it and dudes act like they dig it because chicks dig it.

But, regarding Metallica and Classical Music, this is a great concert on DVD...

Metallica - S & M with the San Francisco Symphony (1999)

metal
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-11-2005, 12:00 PM Reply   
to each his own...

remote kill switch grant? come on, i seriously doubt that his stereo will even come close to drowning out yours! nice idea though? will that work for pwc's?
Old    vern            05-11-2005, 12:03 PM Reply   
"You would not play classical music at a Metalica concert"

Um... Metallica did that.

Discourage inbreeding, ban country music.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-11-2005, 12:36 PM Reply   
As a listener of many different types of music, I'm going to have to disagree. I'm not hard core into country, but there are some country songs and albums that I would put up on par with some of my best hard rock albums.

One of my fondest "cranked up loud country" memories is when we were in Havasu many years ago and were getting the boat ready to put on the water. My little brother had just gotten this insane system put in his Toyota truck. He opened up the doors and lit up "Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)" by Garth Brooks at full volume and turned the heads of every person within a half mile. 'Til this day I can't listen to that song on anything but full volume. Good stuff...Yeeeeeeaaaaahhhhaaaahhhh!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-11-2005, 12:44 PM Reply   
Not to hijack, but if you're looking for Metallica and classical, check out Apocalyptica's first album (Plays Metallica by Four Cellos). Here's a link to a sample of "Master of Puppets." There's more at www.apocalyptica.com.

More good stuff! See, I told you I like many different types of music! :-)
Old    swass            05-11-2005, 12:47 PM Reply   
I suspect Keith is a country fan.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-11-2005, 12:48 PM Reply   
I have some apocalyptica stuff too. It's crazy what kind of sound four Cellos can make.
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-11-2005, 12:55 PM Reply   
OUCH!!!!!!!
That obvious huh? I am not really a "country fan". I just like different types of music, country included. I do not know all the words or singers, but I can sit back and listen to a Garth Brooks song (although that was a while back) or a Kenny Chesney song (like the Buffet grove he is doing now).

Living in Nashville, it's a given!!

(Message edited by RKG on May 11, 2005)
Old    socalgrl79            05-11-2005, 12:59 PM Reply   
While I agree, there is a time and a place for everything.. (I can enjoy an occasional country song or 50 cent) I don't care what people play on their boats.. to each their own.
:-)
Old    swass            05-11-2005, 1:05 PM Reply   
I'm just givin' you grief, Keith. However, you do know the names of what I assume are country singers, so I'm goin' with "yeah!"
Old    vern            05-11-2005, 1:18 PM Reply   
Anyone knows what happens when you play a country music album backwards? You get your house back, you get your truck back, you get your wife back, you get your dog back...
Old    socalgrl79            05-11-2005, 2:04 PM Reply   
HAHA! So true.
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-11-2005, 2:25 PM Reply   
Grant, this sure hits home. Every time my wife and I go to the lake/river, she wants her country crap playing on the boat. I'll put ONE cd in the 10 disk along w/my headbanger music. When the country cmes on, the volume somehow gets real low and I cant figure how to turn it up-until the good stuff comes on...lol...thanks for the laughs
Old    clubjoeskier            05-11-2005, 2:51 PM Reply   
I wish I HAD a big fat stereo to play country music on my boat ......I've threatened to put "In the Mood" by Glen Miller on the first time out when I get one ...

Thomas---Were you talkin' bout music or passengers??
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-11-2005, 2:56 PM Reply   
Swass, are you denying that you know who Garth Brooks is??? How many people can honestly say they do not know "Friends in Low Places". I cringe now, but that song was HUGE in the day
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-11-2005, 2:58 PM Reply   
This brings up why I will be playing the XM on the boat this summer. Whatever mood I am in, I can play on the boat. Also includes when the kids are on the boat, I can play music for them. When it is just the guys, perhaps the Rhyme or RAW will come on
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-11-2005, 3:06 PM Reply   
there you go Joe! a little Glen Miller to class this joint up. thats what this place needs! hahaha. and I was talking about the music, not the passengers.
Old    socalgrl79            05-11-2005, 3:08 PM Reply   
Is it wrong that I actually really like that song?
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-11-2005, 3:13 PM Reply   
Which song , "Low Places"? For me, the song just got overplayed and heard one too many drunks singing along to it... I can still listen to it, just not like before...
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-11-2005, 3:15 PM Reply   
It's not wrong, but that doesn't make it right! Hey, maybe that can be the name of a country song? :-)

Actually, that's a pretty decent song, but it's been beaten to death by radio and wedding DJ's.
Old    socalgrl79            05-11-2005, 3:18 PM Reply   
No, not "Low Places".. I've never been a Garth fan. I was talking about Glen Miller!
Old    swass            05-11-2005, 3:20 PM Reply   
OK, I admit it: I know who Garth is. But I can honestly say I have never heard "Friends in Low Places." Not intentionally, anyway.

(Message edited by swass on May 11, 2005)
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-11-2005, 3:41 PM Reply   
my neighbors name is glen miller? and he is a mean old fart...
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-11-2005, 3:44 PM Reply   
Ever notice that heavy metal sounds better if you rock your head back and forth?

I think country is pretty opposite... it sounds better if there is nothing going on within or around you head/brain. :-) j/k
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-11-2005, 4:00 PM Reply   
"YOU DONT PLAY COUNTRY MUSIC WHILE PARTYING ON THE WATER".

I agree 100%
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-11-2005, 4:05 PM Reply   
rock on...
Old    wakelvr            05-11-2005, 4:07 PM Reply   
Who gives a ratz a$$ what people are playing on their boats. To each his own. We have been known to play 80's music on our boat. Don't like it? Go away...
Old     (psych3060)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-11-2005, 4:15 PM Reply   
You've also been known to play a little Britney....well not you, but Jason but we didn't care because it was your boat and we were lucky enough to ride behind it!!!

Old    wakelvr            05-11-2005, 4:19 PM Reply   
And you know Blabel and Jason loved every minute of it;-)
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-11-2005, 4:20 PM Reply   
To each his own is right, but when you are blasting music extremely loud on tower speakers then you can't just "go away".
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-11-2005, 4:49 PM Reply   
LOL Wakeman... "SCORE!"

I can stand the odd song here and there, but there's no room for it otherwise on my boat, same applies to gangsta rap. Besides I want to do everything to discourage the local drunk redneck from trying to party with us.
Old     (jaubrey)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-11-2005, 5:00 PM Reply   
I completely disagree! I love all music and listen to it all on the water, but Country music gets me in the mood to have fun and throw back some social sparklers (beer) and just enjoy life.

I love rap and rock and listen to it while im riding but also nothing says lets have fun like country music.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-11-2005, 5:19 PM Reply   
Grant ~ That was classic!LOL

Amy ~ How can you even put country music and 50 cent in the same sentence?!?

Tho I didn't think it was possible!

I play Hip-hop and play it loud and got NVS!! Buahahahahahaa

(Message edited by big_ed_x2 on May 11, 2005)
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       05-11-2005, 5:19 PM Reply   
HEY G-

I like how you started the thread about jasons Stereo install.

Whats wrong with this picture?

I think we found the real answer.

Country Music Blasting from his speakers!!!!

Hey Grant, have you ever heard Garth Brooks through TWO W7's!!!!!! PURE HEAVEN!!!
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-11-2005, 5:23 PM Reply   
" IMO there is a place to play country music, Its called a bar, These bars are located in safe places (in the sticks) better know as BFE. Where if the sound of country music spills out and on to the street it wont hurt anyone else. Kind of like how they test nuclear weapons. "

well said man...my cousin's best friend has a $45k truck with 2 12" Alpines and he blasts country music. Its a shame. I absolutely hate the simple guitar riffs and gay lyrics that they call country. Johnny Cash is a real country singer, not the made up poon's on CMT.

(Message edited by malibuboarder75 on May 11, 2005)
Old    socalgrl79            05-11-2005, 5:26 PM Reply   
Haha, what can I say! Honestly though, I like just about every kind of music. My IPod is full of anything - Rap/Hip Hop to Punk to Pop.
Old     (liquidforce)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-11-2005, 5:47 PM Reply   
check out tennesse river run or beer 30 or some hank, thats music you can drink some beers too. Country all they way on our boat
Old    wickedwake            05-11-2005, 5:51 PM Reply   
We blast country all the time on the water! I geuss I am in Alabama though
Old    wakegal02            05-11-2005, 6:20 PM Reply   
Right on to that socalgrl79, I listen to just about anything there's not 1 style of music that I love all the songs, I like a little bit of this and a little bit of that, just depends what mood I'm in. Jamming in the car or boat rap/rock/pop...in the keys a little bit of jimmy b. on a long trip a bit of country. As long as your not bugging the heck out of other people listen to whatever you wanna.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-11-2005, 6:50 PM Reply   
My boat plays,

Aaron Tippen
Dwight Yokam
Garth
Travis Tritt
Brooks and Dunn
George Straight
Willie
Johnny Cash
Clint Black
Chris Ledou

If you wine about it... it will be played louder, and longer!

I have to admit I don't like country while riding, it's better suited to chillin with a beer at the end of the day.

Hey Amy,

Us country lovers are a heck of a lot better to the women we meet in a country bar than any guy you'll talk to in a meat market hip hop club.Just food for thought.
Old    walt            05-11-2005, 7:54 PM Reply   
Country doesn't get my juices flowing neither does house music (Grant) but IMO if it's on his boat and that's what he likes then that is the time and the place. Now if he was trying to slip that in on your system that's a different story.
Old    murrayair            05-11-2005, 8:25 PM Reply   
"Jason and his woman were defending country music vigorously, sighting how country music is the most popular music around. And how more people listen to country music than all other music put together."

Here's a list of the 10 best selling artists of all time.

1. The Beatles- 166.5 million albums sold
2. Elvis Presley- 117.5m
3. Led Zeppelin- 106m
4. Garth Brooks- 105m
5. The Eagles- 88m
6. Billy Joel-78.5m
7.Pink Floyd- 73.5m
8. Barbara Striesand- 71.5m
9. Elton John- 67.5m
10. Aerosmith- 64m

So that's Rock's 762 million albums to Country's 105 million. Yup, looks like country is the most listened to music in the world.
Old     (twitch)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-11-2005, 8:29 PM Reply   
Country all the way!!!!

ill admit i like all types of music... but country is number one. and as for county and 50 Cent you should just look at my MP3 player...
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-11-2005, 8:35 PM Reply   
*Pulls up next to Grant,puts on cowboy hat,pops a Coors Lite,fires up a joint,puts a chew in,blasts the country*

LOL.

IMO,I could think of worse things to listen to;house,trance,50 cent types,Brittny krap,new so called punk,screamo metal.

The only country I listen to,is stuff that has some sort of memory for me,Johnny Cash,Merle Haggard,mostly old school stuff.

To each his own.

I do,however thinks its wrong to infringe on,say,someone who got to the cove long before you,and you come in playing/BLASTING your gangsta rap,while me,my wife,and kids,all have to listen to that shiz!

Have some respect for others...Or I'll beat yur ass!
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-11-2005, 8:37 PM Reply   
Maybe they meant trailer park people?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-11-2005, 8:44 PM Reply   
Where did you get that list of record sales. That's pretty interesting stuff. I'm surprised to see Garth so high on the list and to see Barbara Streisand on there at all. If I was to bet money, I would have thought the Rolling Stones would be in the top ten as well.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-11-2005, 9:03 PM Reply   
Like the nuclear weapons analogy. Have a buddy that works for the CA Dept. of Corrections, transports bus loads of prisoners. If they complain about it being too hot, he turns up the heater. Too cold, they get the A/C. The gangbangers get out of line, he cranks up the country...

Not a big fan of county myself, but if Johnny Cash comes up, we ride to that.
Old    murrayair            05-11-2005, 9:12 PM Reply   
Dave- That list is straight from the Recording Industry Association of America's site. http://www.riaa.com/gp/bestsellers/topartists.asp

It's got a list of the top (I think) 50.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-11-2005, 9:20 PM Reply   
Cliff ~ A guy at a country bar is not nearly as exciting as the guy at the meat market hip-hop club. RIGHT Amy!!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-11-2005, 9:32 PM Reply   
Mood swing ~ That wasn't directed towards me was it??!??Hope not b\c I rather you ask me politly to turn it down.Wait a minute,I think you rather wanna ask me polite to turn it down!haha and I am moving to the Delta in 2 weeks!!

You know what they say....You get more bee's with honey then with vinigar!
Old     (centralcali)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-11-2005, 10:05 PM Reply   
I think some of the best times on the water is when you are screwing around with your music and tring to be as obnoxious as possible! Sure my favorite music to ride to is rock or punk (linkin park, blink 182 ect) but I always get a few smiles when I throw on some Johny Cash, Kenny Chesney or Will Smith... ok, I take back the Will Smith (every time I play "Big Willie Style" someone gets hurt, no joke!)! Hell, I went out with my kids a couple weeks ago and had a Sponge Bob square pants CD cranking while I pulled them all on a tube. They were back there singing as loud as they could! Speaking of country music, I have been looking the last couple weeks for a cowboy hat I can wear on occation while riding (I lost my superman cape at the end of last year and I broke my "Parks" afro wig chin strap a couple weeks ago.). Have fun with your music!! If you ever see me on the Delta you will most likely hear something very fast and hard coming from my system...but you never know...you may find me being pulled in nothing but a cowboy hat and chaps!
Old    team909            05-12-2005, 9:08 AM Reply   
everyone just needs a copy of slipknot or mudvayne and stuff like that for the boat and we would be fine, any punk will get ya jacked to rip too!!

team909

Old    socalgrl79            05-12-2005, 9:11 AM Reply   
Come on.. don't group Mudvayne and Slipknot into a punk category!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-12-2005, 9:24 AM Reply   
Amy ~ Come on allready...Confirm to Cliff that what I said was true!!LOL
Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-12-2005, 10:05 AM Reply   
Tevor thats some funny shiaaaaaaat... I have to do that for my kids may as well I have it in the truck already...
Old    whitechocolate            05-12-2005, 10:09 AM Reply   
It just seems to me that wakeboard comunity is more of a, {not in any particular order} "House, Hip Hop, Rock, kind of croud.

If I went to a Rodeo or a Stampeed or Cowboy Jamboree, or Cow nut's BBQ, type of thing and I went and pluged in my I-pod to the nearest sound system and started playing pretty much anything on it I would not expect a warm welcome, In fact I would look for the closest exit and run like hell. Them cowboys can be cranky folk if they dont get what they like. LOL

I guess Im trying to say

"get in where you fit in"

Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       05-12-2005, 10:48 AM Reply   
I dont know about that G.

I think because we are in California, that is the type of music most people who wakeboard listen too.

But, if you were in Texas, it may be another story.
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       05-12-2005, 10:56 AM Reply   
Now Luke - don't go generalizing the entire state, I can tell you for a fact that it's pretty much the same here as it is there music wise, country is pretty damn low (as in non-existent) on the "what to listen to when riding/hanging on the lake"

I personally like every kind of music out there, except for country (Johnny Cash excluded), and your standard pop/top 40 crap.
Old    socalgrl79            05-12-2005, 10:59 AM Reply   
Cliff - Don't I know it - why do you think I'd be crushing on a guy from Texas! :-)
Big Ed - I can enjoy a hip hop club anyday, I love 50, Eminem, Snoop and Dre!
Hehe :-)
Old    ag4ever            05-12-2005, 11:01 AM Reply   
Here in texas it is a little bit of everything.

now if you were in alabama it might be different.
Old    air_sv211            05-12-2005, 11:56 AM Reply   
Grant,

Nothing personal but I think that semphasized s**t you put up on the net called super hero's is the GAYEST S**T I have ever heard. What the hell were you smoking when you came up with that crap bro?
Old    mikep            05-12-2005, 12:03 PM Reply   
I wakesurf to "FOLK". You should try it sometime...good vibe! :-) XM Radio has a station.
Old    whitechocolate            05-12-2005, 12:17 PM Reply   
Big Dog- I was just trying to share some music for free, my brother made that cd. It was listed as house music so it wasnt like I was trying to fool you into down loading somthing you were not into, Sorry if you didnt like it.

O and by the way "F" you
Old     (midwestrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-12-2005, 1:54 PM Reply   
All I know Grant is, I want to come to your halloween parties!

*Note to all, check out his home URL and the Halloween picture gallery.

Jb
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-12-2005, 2:00 PM Reply   
Just to clarify not all "rodeo" cowboys listen to just country. I know for a fact alot of them listen to all kinds! Except not alot of house. But other than that rock,rap,and just about anything else goes.
Old    air_sv211            05-12-2005, 6:16 PM Reply   
Grant,

Judging from that music you listen to, you would probly like to.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       05-12-2005, 6:57 PM Reply   
Big Dog- Chill out, Jeeze. Just cause you do not like something doesn't mean you have to publicize it with profanity on a website!

Grant was trying to start something by getting people to start swapping music, therefore expanding his collection and knowledge of it. If you did not like it, then just say it wasn't your cup o' tea.

Your words were pretty harsh, and I would be pissed to.

Just relax,
Old    air_sv211            05-12-2005, 8:35 PM Reply   
Luke if you read the first post you will see that he said those things first in so many words, about anybody that likes country music. "BFE", "Gayest most lame song ever", country music belongs in the sticks, all from the first post. Then he really went and did it when he spoke bad about NASCAR. He started this thread to bash other peoples music. But I guess it's alright with you for him to do it. I don't think what I said about his music was any worse than what he said about people that happen to like country music. But you are right, I should have never stooped to his level and responded to his country music, people from the sticks, (BFE), bashing post. I'll say no more on this subject, because it's clear that as a country music person (by the way I like Rock and Roll as well) I don't have a brain.

Peace out.
Old    wakelvr            05-13-2005, 8:47 AM Reply   
Note to self: Blast country music on the delta just to annoy people.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-13-2005, 8:50 AM Reply   
Stefani ~ Me and you think alike!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-13-2005, 8:51 AM Reply   
Just thinking of annoying them with some HIP-HOP!hehehe

(Message edited by big_ed_x2 on May 13, 2005)
Old    wakelvr            05-13-2005, 8:55 AM Reply   
Hey, variety is good:-) My favorite on the water is Metallica, but I have also been known to play a little Blondie! You sound like fun Ed, can't wait to meet you on the water one day!
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-13-2005, 9:01 AM Reply   
Ahhh, Metalica, I do like to listen to that while riding (the old stuff at Least).

We do have one guy that is a Rick Springfield -Jesse's Girl fan...
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-13-2005, 9:01 AM Reply   
Blondie....One of my fav.!!

As far as meeting me on the water,That day will come sooner that you and me probably think.Plus I know where you ride and what your boat looks like.

BTW Have you had your little one yet??
Old    wakelvr            05-13-2005, 9:12 AM Reply   
Keith, we definitely have a variety of music on our boat. I am open to listening to anything and the person riding gets to dictate what we listen to. That's the way it is with most of my friends, everyone is pretty open minded and it's all about having fun. We don't have any country though but I will be adding that to my collection;-)

Ed, no, not yet. I'm 39 weeks:-) I am so excited about meeting my little man, but I hope he doesn't come today on Friday the 13th. Spooky... and I can't wait to get back out on the water!!!