Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            10-29-2006, 6:12 PM Reply   
I've done a writeup on the Telum and we also had the opportunity to ride the Piscus 57". At 4'9" in length is one of the smallest "cruisers" out there. As with all the Calibrated boards, I think the graphics on the Piscus are sick!

Upload
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-29-2006, 6:16 PM Reply   
jeff,

i dig on that traction.... any idea who makes it ???
Old    surfdad            10-29-2006, 6:24 PM Reply   
I spoke with Mike almost a year ago after a owner's reunion in Florida. What most of the folks that hadn't ridden wanted was a more stable board, that would fit in a standard rack and was easy to learn on.

The Piscus meets all of those criteria. It is constructed using the same methods as their more advanced skimstyle boards, and so will fit into a standard rack.

The board also is more neutrally bouyant than most other surfstyle boards. This translates into easier laerning for newbies. The board was easy to flip up as the trailing edge sank a little upon startup.

I found the Piscus 57" to be exceptionally stable, while I was able to throw a surface 3, I had diffculty breaking the fins loose for a lip slide. IMO, it felt like a good quality cruiser that you could use for teaching folks with, or for people that wanted a board for everyone on the boat that would also fit in a standard rack.

Upload
Old    surfdad            10-29-2006, 6:28 PM Reply   
I like to test the terminal velocity of all boards, to get a feel for how fast they can travel down the line. My JaMako holds the record in the 16mph range - we experienced too much prop cavitation to push the speed further. The Piscus 57" had a favorable showing at 13.7 mph.

Upload
Old    surfdad            10-29-2006, 6:30 PM Reply   
Now I wouldn't consider the Piscus 57" an aerial board, but James was able to throw some airs on. :-)

Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            10-30-2006, 5:14 AM Reply   
Sorry Mike, I didn't catch that question...I think I addressed it in the Telum thread. It's EVA with that raised Arch Bar. Mike told me that it's custom made for Calibrated and not available at retail...you can see the white Calibrated logo in the kickpad. You might give Mike at Calibrated a call and see if he'd be willing to score you a set?

Mike Armstrong's email:

calibrated@sbcglobal.net
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-30-2006, 5:48 AM Reply   
cool, many thanks...i just like the pattern... i first tried it on jessica's shoreline and really liked it a lot.
Old    surfdad            10-30-2006, 6:51 AM Reply   
Hey Mike, I was just looking at the Piscus and it's a dfifferent cross-hatch pattern. The Telum has the same basic material as seen on the Shoreline and Shred Stixx (only just grey), but the Piscus is a square pattern and not the diagonal diamond shape. It appears to be made by the same folks and it's got a 3M adhesive backing.

Mike would be the man to talk to.
Old     (ridetillurdead26)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-26-2006, 12:55 AM Reply   
i rode that board a few weeks ago and i was popping airs and doing shuvs by my second run
Old     (wakeskate)      Join Date: May 2006       11-26-2006, 5:13 PM Reply   
thats a big board!