Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       09-23-2004, 4:16 PM Reply   
I'm replacing my trailer jack. It's held onto the trailer via a 2-1/2 inch "ring clip fastener". The fastener has two little wings on it with holes in them where you can pull it apart.

pic

How do you get this $#(%&%^# off!

Frustrated...

Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       09-23-2004, 4:19 PM Reply   
Snap ring pliers. A big pair LOL!
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       09-23-2004, 4:31 PM Reply   
Is that something that any old automotive shop is going to have? It's a real quick swap for the new jack once I've got that puppy off of there. Maybe I can tow it over and have an automotive tech pull it and place it for me after I replace the jack.

I really don't want to invest in a pair of pliers I'm going to use once.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       09-23-2004, 4:49 PM Reply   
It is kind of a specialty tool; especially for a retainer that large. The cheapest pair I could find that will handle a 2.5" clip are $22.22. http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/kdspec18.html

Maybe go check a pawn shop and see if you can find something cheap.

You might be able to use an old pair of needle nose with the tips ground down. Problem is they will tend to snap off. And it will be a grunt since you will be forcing the pliers open instead of closed.

Sometimes you can pry those rings off with a big screwdriver. But you risk damaging things that way. If you do pry it off put a rag or something over the ring, and wear eye protection.

Good luck.
Old    bobbymucic            09-23-2004, 4:56 PM Reply   
Some automotive parts places allow you to rent/borrow tools.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/in_our_stores/loan_a_tool/loan_a_tool.jsp

I didn't see it listed there, maybe if you called...

(Message edited by bobbymucic on September 23, 2004)
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-23-2004, 6:51 PM Reply   
I do mine seems like every year with a couple big screw drivers and large plyers and a hammer. Sometimes it goes on easy first try, other times .....uggg. Just pry the old one up and then out of the grove and then just keep tapping it until it pops off.

Someone needs to manufacture a good Stainless Steel sealed jack with zerk fittings for grease that will last more than a couple years.
Old    nooner            09-24-2004, 5:14 AM Reply   
I used a punch and pryed it loose enough for me to get some needle nose pliers on it. PITA but it worked
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-24-2004, 8:11 AM Reply   
I'd just like to take this opportunity to pass along a bit of advice to everyone:

IT PAYS TO HAVE THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB!

What's better:

Spending $20 on a tool, which you may or may not ever use again, and completing the work with ease?

OR

Spending several miserable hours cursing and trying to make do with standard tools with the risk of breaking stuff and having to spend more than the tool would have cost in the first place?

I know my answer. I have a 1990 M3. Anyone want to borrow some BMW specialty tools?
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-24-2004, 8:18 AM Reply   
A man speaking from experience
Old    spoon            09-24-2004, 8:19 AM Reply   
And to add to what ST said:

What is your time worth?
What is the deductible on your medical insurance, and how much time off will a busted knuckle and/or slashed hand cost you?

Or you could pay a guy at a trailer repair shop ten bucks to remove/replace the ring.

Been there.
Old    swpmwinc            09-24-2004, 11:43 AM Reply   
John My shop is in Loomis if you want to bring it buy I will take it of for you I have the tool it is no big deal.
Sean
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-24-2004, 12:25 PM Reply   
John:

Depending on how much acess you have, a pair of needle nose pliers will often work, especially on the larger snap rings.

If you have a real small pair of needle nose, try inserting one tip into each "ear" then pulling the handles apart. This will spread the snap ring and allow you to pull it up. The snap ring is probably sitting in a grove, so all you have to do is get it up a little bit so that it is out of the groove then you can slide it along the rest of the way.

I would expect any decent auto shop to have a pair of snap ring pliers, such things are encountered all the time. If it is something that you can just bring down to them they might be able to pop it off real quick. Perhaps you can grease the skids a bit by bring a box of donuts or a 6 pack of beer along.

There are a lot of auto parts stores that rent tools like this, so you might check there. A tool rental company might have one also.

If I had to buy something, I would probably buy the tiny needle nose pliers. You are more likely to find a use for that again.
Rod