Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old    teenhack            01-04-2004, 6:57 PM Reply   
I'm looking to buy a new board and am now stuck between two choices. Theres a $40 price difference between the Parks $396 and the CWB Absolute Platnium $436...
I'm 6'3" and about 210 (give or take a pound or three). I want a board that will be something I can not only progress on but will remain top of the line for years after my purchase.
Any suggestions?
Old     (obrienride16)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-04-2004, 7:36 PM Reply   
dude, first of all, those prices suck. and to answer your question, board shapes change alot, and no one knows what will be out in the next couple of years so its almost impossible to tell whether or not a board will be top of the line a few years down the road.
Old     (maestro)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-04-2004, 8:50 PM Reply   
If you're paying retail I'd go with the Absolute - although the Parks 143 would probably be a better size than the 140 (or is it 141 now) of the Absolute.
Old    wakesurge17            01-04-2004, 8:50 PM Reply   
I would say the Parks fool
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-05-2004, 12:08 PM Reply   
Just because a shape changes doesn't mean it's no good anymore. That doesn't make it "top of the line." It's preference.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-05-2004, 1:35 PM Reply   
Two different rides.
Unless you really like a three stage rocker,
go with the Absolute. I believe it's wider
as well and rides higher in the water (less
rocker = less drag). A good shape IMO
that you could ride for a very long time.
Old    teenhack            01-05-2004, 4:10 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input, sept for Eric... Always playing favorites...
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-05-2004, 4:48 PM Reply   
I don't think most of us will ever get too good for any advanced board that is out there today.

I think the Absolute would be an easier board to ride but that's just my opinion. You should try to demo so you can form an opinion of your own. Especially if your paying that much.
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       01-06-2004, 6:08 AM Reply   
I demoed both recently and purchased the absolute.
Old    teenhack            01-06-2004, 8:56 PM Reply   
Any reason why you chose the Abs? I heard talk that the lands are alot softer and the board rides alot higher, but not much else?
Old    tclagggym            01-06-2004, 9:23 PM Reply   
Ian, don't get caught up in all the hype. As long as your technique and form are good any board that is the right size for you will work. There is very little real difference in boards. Equipment makes a difference at a elite level in all sports, but if your not going pro,save your money by one on sale etc.
Old    teenhack            01-06-2004, 9:30 PM Reply   
Actually I did do that at first, but there is a point when your "sale board" just doesnt do it anymore.
I demoed a cwb absolute (not platnium mind you) and was AMAZED at the difference it made. Same rider, same style (with the addition of maybe more confidence), same wake yet still I jumped higher, spun faster and went farther out into the flats than my poor little "sale board" could ever hope to dream.
Old    tclagggym            01-06-2004, 9:33 PM Reply   
I have had the absolute 04 since last year and it is a great board I agree. You have good taste.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-07-2004, 6:18 AM Reply   
The absolute.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-07-2004, 7:32 AM Reply   
I've never heard one complaint about the Absolute, but I've heard dozens say they hate the Parks board, if that means anything. Just an observation. I rode the Parks and I was scared of it. Maybe my style isn't clean enough to manage it. Who knows. Straight out of the box, the Absolute is a much looser riding board.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-07-2004, 7:34 AM Reply   
i have never ridden the parks, but i heard it is not forgiving at all. the cwb is very loose with great pop and is slightly very similar to the premier but slightly faster. great board you will grow into.
Old    teenhack            01-07-2004, 8:33 PM Reply   
Of all the dumb luck I actually ended up winning a Parks 143, but after reading some of your posts, I am wondering if it wouldnt be smarter to just get the CWB...
Old    mygreenmonster            01-10-2004, 6:25 AM Reply   
If you have a parks and want a looser ride, go with smaller fins or take them off. It is a very stable board with little to no fins. The stock fins add more bite than many people prefer. But I've grown use to the bite and can ride it with no problem. However, it comes down to preference.
Old    teenhack            01-14-2004, 8:39 PM Reply   
Thanks I actually thought about taking the fins off but the water temp dropped to 38 degrees these last few weeks so wakeboardings alittle difficult right now.
Also I remember hearing that the Platinum's nose actually rides higher than the board allowing it to "scoop" up the wake. Anyone who has ridden one noticed a difference?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-14-2004, 9:06 PM Reply   
i have a parks and i don't like the way the absolute rides. if you are used to a board that rides low in the water you may not like the absolute. i have another friend that got rid of his absolute becasuse he liked his premier better.
Old    dagger            01-14-2004, 11:39 PM Reply   
I've never ridden a Parks but I love my Absolute Platinum! Throw the .75" fins on...it's nice and loose with great pop. It's like riding a magic carpet.
Old    stormrider            01-15-2004, 8:58 AM Reply   
I bought the absolute over the parks because the absolute lands softer, thereby there is less jarring on my knees and hips-- something to consider if you ride a lot, whatever your age. Cartilage is mighty tough to replace if you wear it out. Zues bindings also softer landing, imo, than the Parks. Go Absolute/Zues. Price seems really high.
Old    teenhack            01-16-2004, 2:34 PM Reply   
Yeah I thought that Platinum and Zues would be a killer combination but its also a real paycheck killer...
My local shop recomended LF Ultras however because they said comfort is their forte and for their price theres no better
Old    teenhack            01-24-2004, 9:41 AM Reply   
I found a NOT so local boardshop that just got a shipment in of 04' Absolute Plats and not even the 36 degree water is going to stop me from demoing them this weekend...
If only I had my new bindings too.. one thing at a time...
Old    tclagggym            01-24-2004, 9:05 PM Reply   
Ian,
All you need now is a SAN and you would be me. 04 absolute with zues bindings, sweet.
Old    teenhack            01-24-2004, 9:11 PM Reply   
Yeah I would settle for alot of things rather than what tows me... Right not I have a 96' Chapparal, atleast I think its a 96', not quite sure of the top of my head. The wakes not horrible, but its not fantastic either...
How do you like the setup though? I was originally going to get 04' LF Ultras, but then I found out I could get 04' Zeus for $25 more. I'm still hoping I'm making the right decision...
Old    tclagggym            01-25-2004, 9:17 PM Reply   
Ian,
The Zues bindings are the most comfortable bindings I have worn yet. The Zues's are the way to go , you won't be sorry.