Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (liquidforce21i)      Join Date: May 2006       05-07-2008, 3:42 PM Reply   
I know mastercraft is one of THEE names in wakeboard boats if not the best...just want some feedback...im upgrading from a tige 21i and just want some feedback
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-07-2008, 3:56 PM Reply   
1999-2002 XStar= 205V Hull
2003-present Xstar= Picklefork 22' hull
2003-2005 X2= 205V hull
2006-present X2= pickle fork 20' hull
2006-present X1= 205V hull

The 205v hull is the one I am assuming you are looking for. It throws one of the best wakes in the business. The quality of the boat is awesome as well. If it were me I would try and get a 2002 xstar or 2003-2005 X2. There are a few nicer things about these boats than the 2001. The one that really pops into my head is the ballast pumps are setup different. The only downfall I believe is they are not the biggest boat in the world. For a little smaller crew they are perfect though.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-07-2008, 3:57 PM Reply   
Great boat X1, X2, 99-03 x star The wake boat that started it all...
However wider the beam the better, less leverage on the tower, keeps the wake true from side to side.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-08-2008, 7:08 AM Reply   
I disagree with the wider beam is better. my '00 xstar is less weight sensitive than a lot of wider boats.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       05-08-2008, 8:31 AM Reply   
To build on what Brett stated: The key item is the 205V hull. Brett has outlined all the X-Series forms of the 205V hull, but it was also offered as a Prostar 205V. You might be able to find one and build it up to your liking, as I did.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-08-2008, 8:36 AM Reply   
Forgot to add that Paul. Thanks.

Mike, I like the idea Paul has. If you have seen a picture of his boat you will know why. It might be one of my top 2 or 3 boats I have ever seen on wakeworld.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-08-2008, 8:54 AM Reply   
"I disagree with the wider beam is better."

There are advantages and disadvantages. I prefer some wide beam boats over narrow.

Narrow beam = easy to slam down with less weight to produce the most wake per pound. Narrow beam boats typically produce a steeper, more vertical wake. They're typically more efficient and are more nimble with handling. Down side.... as mentioned above, wake is more sensitive to poeple moving around, and things like wind and current.
Too much weight and your wake can get tall, thin, and start to roll over.

Wide Beam = capable of producing a much better quality wake (ins most cases) but requires more weight, gas, engine to do it. The Xstar for example delivers the long transition AND the lip at the top for that snap you want. Less sensitive to weight movement and placement. The wake is always good, even in wind and current on the river. Bigger boats typically drive more sluggish, but I have to say, our slammed xstar out handles our older X2/X1 hull hand down, with more weight.

(Message edited by jarrod on May 08, 2008)
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-08-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
Don't forget the prostar 205 in Direct drive form either. Same hull from 1996 on.