Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-22-2012, 2:48 PM Reply   
This isn't a review of any kind, just a REALLY fun day with a bunch of great people that love to surf. I already posted pictures of this day when we went out with Mendonesia surf, but I wanted to put together a video to mark the day. It was 2 days before independence day, so it was a bit busy and choppy at times but we had a great time none the less. RJ, Chris Wolter, Frank, Mitch of CMS and Todd Johnson of Mendonesia all boat hopped the entire day and road on each boat. I am sure people made comparisons and had favorites but that wasn't what the day was about, it wasn't a review. We didn't get off the lake til about 9:30 pm during a huge full moon, we surfed every bit of light out of that lake. I remember when we were packing up after the enzo and 226 were wiped down and prepared for the tow home I overheard Todd and Frank having a friendly argument over which ocean surf break was better, Todd's home break, or Franks. It made me smile because we all do that with our favorite boats. The thing that was so cool about this day was that it was as if we got to share our favorite surf breaks with our friends but all in one place.

We had some minor issues which you may see, but they are not that big of a deal. The enzo had some strap that kept getting into the camera frame and we almost lost that camera a couple of times, but we worked around that. For some reason the camera on the Supreme was getting water in the housing so some of the video is not so hot, but the surfing is, you just have to look through it. We had been having some major issues with our TAPS plate on the Z3 and at this time didn't know exactly what was the problem and had rigged up something under the swim deck to help resolve some issues. It turns out our Bennet Hydraulic actuator was dying, and the following week went completely toast. That is all fixed now.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics just for the heck of it, and then the video. Wolter was really killing it on his new board. I think you are going to see some great things from this kid and that board. Oh, and Todd Johnson throws a backside air reverse and I didn't even know I had that on video, no one told me! Make sure you look for Mitch's "Donkey Sprint" slow mo.

IMG_4914 by wake9, on Flickr

IMG_4922 by wake9, on Flickr

IMG_7196 by wake9, on Flickr

IMG_6790 by wake9, on Flickr

If you get the chance, make sure you hit full screen or watch on Youtube in HD, I spent the time to master this video in 1080P.

Last edited by ragboy; 07-22-2012 at 2:52 PM. Reason: minor correction
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-22-2012, 4:18 PM Reply   
Nice vid edit,thanks for that fun to watch.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-22-2012, 6:37 PM Reply   
Nice vid. Great riding and 3 very solid waves.
Old     (majestic)      Join Date: May 2008       07-22-2012, 7:40 PM Reply   
Mitch's Donkey sprint might be a contender to my running man. All the waves looked great and Frank is funny!, I watched his part 3 times and I'm still laughing.

@Rob, the Supreme wave looks great I gotta get down there and try the goofy side out.
Old     (BrianB)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-22-2012, 7:42 PM Reply   
Great video as usual Robert!

Do any other the 3 mentioned boats have OEM ballast?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-22-2012, 8:52 PM Reply   
That was such a great day!

Todd and Chris KILLED it!!!!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-22-2012, 11:12 PM Reply   
Thanks, def some great riding and I had fun putting it together, Franks shot was priceless, and when I slammed in the middle of the others like that it just made me laugh. Frank is always making me laugh when I am with him, so I guess he may as well do it on video as well.

@majestic I def thought of you when Mitch did that, I think had more pumps, we will have to check, pretty darn funny.

@Brian The supreme has stock ballast, but supremes stock system is pretty weak and must be supplemented. Once you do though, it makes a great wake on both sides. I don't know what the setup was on the Enzo, but I do know they have great OEM systems along with plug and play options to really get a great wake out of em. The Z3 has the pro stock system with is 2300 lbs and we have replaced the rear sacs with larger ones, but not full on L shaped sacks all the way up the seats. Our sacs just snap in in minutes and only take up the entire rear locker up to the opening of the side storage. So basically you still retain all of your side storage. The only time we ever put an extra sac in that side storage is when there is only a a driver and an observer, basically very little people weight, which almost never happens because I am large and we always go out with our big family or lots of friends.

lakesurfer can probably offer more detail on the types of systems and plug and play stuff available on the enzo.
Old     (ReSession)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-23-2012, 6:37 AM Reply   
Nice looking vid, boats & waves! You guys are going huge!

Quick GoPro anti-fogging tip (noticed some happening on the V226 runs) - cut out/fold a few squares of paper towel and put them between the GoPro camera and camera housing in the back, and it will absorb all the moisture! You can use those silica gel packets too (just don't eat them!). For added protection, use Rain-X regularly on both the inside and outside (so those water drops will roll right off the camera).
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-23-2012, 4:05 PM Reply   
Thanks, its a problem we almost never have. I wasn't on the supreme at the time, so not sure what the issue was. We normally use skeleton housings that breathe, and don't fog.
Old     (BrianB)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-23-2012, 6:25 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info Ragboy!
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-23-2012, 6:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragboy View Post
lakesurfer can probably offer more detail on the types of systems and plug and play stuff available on the enzo.
500lbs stb quick fill
500lbs port quick fill
650lbs stb side seat
650lbs port side seat
250lbs center tank (the center tank will be replaced with 78 gallon gas tank in 2013)
500lbs bow sack
3,050lbs sub-total
750lbs stb rear locker sac (Centurion plumbs the fill/vent/overflow, you just have to buy the sac)
750lbs stb rear locker sac (Centurion plumbs the fill/vent/overflow, you just have to buy the sac)
4,550lbs total (all under the seats)

Notes: you could run 1,110bs sacs in the back lockers. You probably get 900lbs in them.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-23-2012, 6:56 PM Reply   
My wife would go into convulsions if I had to fill up a 78 gallon tank. She would make me take the boat out of the lake and fill up at the corner Fastrip every time. ;-)
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-24-2012, 3:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
My wife would go into convulsions if I had to fill up a 78 gallon tank. She would make me take the boat out of the lake and fill up at the corner Fastrip every time. ;-)
It just means you have to go to gas dock less. You are not burning more gas.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-24-2012, 11:26 AM Reply   
You would have to know my wife, great woman, but funny about that stuff. You know someone that would drive a few miles out of their way to make sure they go to an ATM that doesn't charge them a $1 fee? A few miles out of their way to save 4 cents a gallon? That is my wife. If it wasn't for her, I would have spent my way to the poorhouse many moons ago.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-24-2012, 3:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
You would have to know my wife, great woman, but funny about that stuff. You know someone that would drive a few miles out of their way to make sure they go to an ATM that doesn't charge them a $1 fee? A few miles out of their way to save 4 cents a gallon? That is my wife. If it wasn't for her, I would have spent my way to the poorhouse many moons ago.
To funny. My wife is the same way. My wife found a toy on Craigs List this weekend for my 3 yr old daughter. Would have cost me $50 at ToysRUS, but she found it for $20. Only problems is I had to drive 80 miles round trip to get it
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-24-2012, 4:02 PM Reply   
Lol, you feel my pain. We will have to grab a beer some time and swap stories.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-24-2012, 6:41 PM Reply   
Be Carefull JKW ..... Robert turned my wife on to amazon free shipping and for about 2 months packages came Every Day!! It's down to about 1-2 a week now lol!!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-24-2012, 7:43 PM Reply   
LOL, Amazon must have me on a list. There are those that amazon makes a profit with "Prime" and those that they lose money with, I am definitely on the bad list.

Its like Christmas over and over. The best thing is ordering a few small things over a few days, and when they come, you don't know what they are.

I know, I will seek help. Maybe Toni can carpool with me Frank.
Old     (mxvet)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-30-2012, 9:02 AM Reply   
Robert - do you have specs on the ballast used on V226 Supreme?
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-30-2012, 10:00 AM Reply   
Surf day between these 3 boats, sounds like a yawn factory!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-31-2012, 2:36 AM Reply   
@mxvet That's a good question for Rob, I will find out...
Old     (mxvet)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-31-2012, 8:04 AM Reply   
thanks! I have never seen a v226 in person but the wake in your video looks pretty good. There's a 2012 for sale close to me, so I'm very interested in what had to be done to get that wake.
Old     (Rob17)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-31-2012, 1:49 PM Reply   
We have been consistent on the wake set up. We use the same on both sides.

Stock rear hard tank. 300
An 1100 lb bag (fits in the back locker on top of the hard tank)
Stock center. 500
400 lbs of lead under the side seats

We love it. It sure has worked well for us. Same set up and same wave.