Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-06-2008, 10:50 AM Reply   
In Benny G's recent Wakeboarding Mag add for Straighline, there is a pic of his handle and what looks to be a black, coated, flex line. I'm riding a SL Team right now but I like the more flexible lines and I can't seem to find this thing for sale anywhere. Anybody know where I can pick one up?

Thanks in advance.
Old     (ronix_one)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-06-2008, 1:57 PM Reply   
Should be on shelves at your local pro shop within a month or so...
Old    ropeking            10-06-2008, 2:08 PM Reply   
Same construction as the Team but longer... buy an extra extension and save some $.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-06-2008, 2:11 PM Reply   
Really? Looks like a more flexible core...kind-of along the lines of the Accurate stuff.
Old    ropeking            10-06-2008, 2:18 PM Reply   
Yes, I suppose I could be wrong, I spoke to Wheeler at Surf and he didn't mention any new rope. Call SL direct, but I would bet it is just longer.... "more flexible core like Acc" what exactly are you talking about?
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-06-2008, 2:25 PM Reply   
From my experience Accurate lines are more flexible than SL but heavier. My SL team is smaller and more rigid. I like SL because their lines are lighter than Accurate but somewhere in the middle (more flexible than SL and lighter than Accurate) would be nice.

I think the add may have even mentioned something about being "more flexible".

Maybe I'm retarded I dunno.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-06-2008, 2:27 PM Reply   
I like mine "straight"
Old    ropeking            10-06-2008, 2:36 PM Reply   
Well basically this depends whether the line is coated or not. If coated, it is considered more stiff or rigid than say a Dym. core with jacket. I seriously doubt is has anything to do with the core. I would imagine the "core" is 100% Dyneema w/ a PE protective coating. And to what you are refering to is most likely the coating isn't nearly as stiff as they used to use. SL had some issues with their coated lines cracking and most likely softened the PE. I'm officially thru with tight-jacket style lines. They are "flexible" but extremely hard to manage and very prone to tangling. I removed all Jackets from Proline.

Hope that helps!
Old     (ronix_one)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-06-2008, 3:30 PM Reply   
KC -
The Benny G and Lyman pro model stuff was around the corner from the rest of the SL wake gear. Both have their own pro model rope and handle for '09. Not sure, but don't think the Team mainline changed coatings from 08 to 09, but the Lyman and Benny G ropes are both more flexible than the '08s which were more flexible than '07.

I have no idea as to comparison on the weight of either rope to anything else on the market.

Answer your questions?
Old    ropeking            10-06-2008, 3:45 PM Reply   
Yes, I saw, felt, and handled Lyman's new handle, Benny's handle was around when I still worked there - back in Oct. 08'. Anyway my point was the core construction or composition hasn't changed, however the coating has gotten softer, yes from 07' to 08'. I agree with you. However, if the Team didn't change from 08' to 09' I seriously the doubt pro model mains are any softer just longer. I can call Wheels and ask him if you really need to be reassured either way. Thanks for the EXPO directions though.
Old     (ronix_one)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-06-2008, 4:04 PM Reply   
Wasn't trying to be a d**k about it, just wasn't sure if you may have missed it. Not sure how much time you spent in the booth. Was just explaining that part to you, not trying to give you a lesson on SL, for obvious reasons... Didn't you land at Slingshot before CWB? When did you move on?

As to the make up of the coating, you would think, as I did, that it would be the same coating, and I could be wrong, but pretty sure it was the same coating for the TX and Team, and a different, softer for the others.

(Message edited by ronix_one on October 06, 2008)
Old    ropeking            10-06-2008, 4:16 PM Reply   
Dude it's all good. I'm just flickin a little bit at ya - who is this anyway?
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-06-2008, 6:34 PM Reply   
What exactly do ya'll mean by 'flexible'?