Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (colin2857)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-21-2009, 9:52 AM Reply   
my docs trying to get me to get a donjoy. I just had ACL reconstruction. I know I want a CTI2, but insurance is covering all of it. I just dont know weather to stick with it cause the insurance will cover all of it, or really push for the CTI2? are they really that bad?
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-21-2009, 9:55 AM Reply   
The GF's knee got worse because of the Don Joy not staying in place....
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-21-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
I recently switched from a Donjoy to a CTI because it wasn't staying in place. My CTI never moves and I am much more confident in riding with it than I ever was with the Donjoy. If the Dr writes the prescription and signs the substitution allowed line you should be able to get the CTI with no problem.
Old     (littlelady)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-21-2009, 10:17 AM Reply   
I've heard good and bad things about both.

I personally thaught that the CTI was more comfortable and made more specifically for the sports that I do (wakeboarding, snowboarding, surfing). I like to the CTi because it doesn't irritate/squeeze my calf muscle.

My dad has a Don Joy and he likes his better for hockey since he can still put on his shin/knee pads on properly.
Old     (colin2857)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-21-2009, 10:43 AM Reply   
ya I have a regular CTI from previous and it kept slipping all the time, but it was off the shelf. The guy fitting me for the donjoy was a doush bag and acted like hed never heard of CTI and basically told me that im getting a Don Joy when I tried telling him about CTI. I guess Ill just call the nurse and see about everything
Old     (nschimm)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-21-2009, 11:09 AM Reply   
I have a Don Joy. The stupid thing never stays velcro and is always sliding. I have tried my buddies CTI and liked it a lot better. Most likely switching over next summer.
Old     (toadieboy13)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-21-2009, 10:05 PM Reply   
I used a DonJoy for one season of snowboarding and really like it (as much as you could like a brace). Never wore it wakeboarding though. My ortho doesn't believe in braces post op., so I don't wear one now.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-22-2009, 4:51 AM Reply   
i had a dj last summer, and knee pain all summer. switched to CTi this year, no knee pain. the DJ moved all over the place. CTi stays put. find a different brace guy too. call you doctor or insurance, sounds like the brace guy likes or only deals w dj.,push for it
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-22-2009, 5:23 AM Reply   
I got a DJ the first time around by default. Popped my ACL again 3 years later with the DJ on. After that recovery my Ortho set me up for a new DJ brace. I fought it for weeks and the DJ rep kept missing his appointments with me. So I went back to the Ortho and told him that I really think we need to go ahead and drop the DJ thing and write me a prescription for the CTi. Could not be happier.
Old     (brianmiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-22-2009, 9:24 AM Reply   
I never had DJ, but just got the CTI's to replace my crappy bledsoe's and could not be happier. The CTI's are so much better. They did not move around at all.
Old     (brett_cti_knee_braces)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-22-2009, 2:25 PM Reply   
Hey Colin. If your insurance will pay for a DJ, then they will pay for a CTI. Both CTi and Don Joy fall into the same DME reimbursement category or code.
Doctors often partner with a brace company for several reasons, including: ease of doing business, ease of measuring for product, breadth of product line,fellowship program support and product efficacy. The last, hopefully, being the most important to the doc. The best thing to do is get your doctor to understand that there is a big difference in the brace to you... the patient! That you have something that you love to do (ride) and that there are tangible differences in the brace design which enable it to function better for your needs. You need to help educate your doctor on wakeboarding and how gnarly the sport is on your knees. We have an information sheet that helps explain this to doctors. It is available on our myspace page (myspace.com/ctikneebraces) in the product pics folder.
Good luck... and I hope you are able to get the right brace to get you back - and keep you back out there riding safe!