Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       02-23-2005, 9:57 AM Reply   
Props to Mike for saving me two weeks of time.

I spent a bunch of time wiring up my whole audio system being very careful and precise. When I wired up my new Sony head unit, it would make noise from the CD Motor and etc, but the face plate would not illuminate.

I spent over an hour on the phone with Sony who finally gave up and told me to send it in for repair. I would have to wait two weeks for a new unit and pay one way of the shipping costs.

Mike was kind enough to send me his phone number a while back so I thought I would give Mike a call. He suggested several things, one being to run an EXTRA GROUND WIRE and bolt it down to the head unit chassis. BINGO! IT WORKED!

Thanks again Mike, you DA MAN!
Old    whitechocolate            02-23-2005, 10:24 AM Reply   
Yes Mike is a cool cat, I was having some chargeing issues and he offed for me to come by his place in Disco Bay and test my system with no strings attached. Its cool how people here go out of there way to help other people they dont even know. I know I got some what burnt out on helping every person, that was having trouble. I would get lots of private e-mail's with all these question's and I would spend lots of time helping people and most of the time they wouldnt even send a simple Thank you e-mail. So now I just help out on the board when ever I can. But I see all you other people helping Clubmike is another one and Im glad to see that. I know we will all hook up some day. It will make it all worth while, "you reep what you sew"
BTW theres lots of closet lurkers that come out of the wood work to help out Thanks to them as well.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-23-2005, 3:22 PM Reply   
John,

You are very welcome, glad somebody else can benefit from my random knowledge base. Also Grant thanks for the kind words.

While I was on the phone with John it came to our attention that there was no fuse on his amp turn on wire. These are typically rated at less then 0.5 amps, with some of the bigger systems going into boats it's possible/probable that this could be exceeded causing a relay failure on the deck's circuit board. On bigger systems it is a good idea to add a small fuse in-line with the amp turn wire or a relay just to protect the deck.

Mikeski

ps a couple days ago somebody asked if I was Polish... I got a laugh (I used to date a Polish girl, nevermind). Mike Ski is what they called me when I taught waterskiing at Club Med. Kind of like Barry Bar or John Sailing.
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-23-2005, 10:10 PM Reply   
Mikeski...

I never even considered a fuse in the amp-on wire. I have learned something today. I am working on a system for our boat which will start with a Pioneer DEH-7000 deck and include a Pioneer GM-X86?, and a Memphis MC-1000D. Both will be on the amp-on circuit. What amp fuse would you suggest I install?
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       02-23-2005, 10:36 PM Reply   
A .3 amp was reccomended for mine. I could not find one but a 1/4 amp has worked fine and they are very common.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-24-2005, 10:10 AM Reply   
Maybe thats what wrong with my deck. kenwood head unit. last summer it was fine. but the boat sat out in the rain a little (last time that will happen). So i've decided to step up the stereo in my boat. it think moisture. the thing goes off or shorts out or something everytime you touch the face. like it shorting out against what john grounded to.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-24-2005, 6:49 PM Reply   
I'll second that John, he's helping us on our proaudio offering and definately knows audio in a huge way, either that all or all those words he uses I've never heard of are made up I doubt that!

(Message edited by MonsterTower on February 24, 2005)
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-25-2005, 4:32 PM Reply   
Dazzle them with brilliance or baffle them with bullsh**, sometimes it more of the latter. Huge way is definately an overstatement.
Thanks Bill.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-27-2005, 7:21 PM Reply   
OK, then "BIG" way , maybe "significant" way, either way thanks for the help, and I guess I need to work you harder!
Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-27-2005, 9:17 PM Reply   
Hey Mike , if your getting feedback noise is usually the problem with the ground? Is the battery the best place to ground tunes?
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       02-28-2005, 3:35 AM Reply   
JT
You don't need to wait for Mike, definately take your ground from the head unit to the battery. This will probably instantly remove any feedback, static, or interference that you may be recieving.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-28-2005, 10:27 AM Reply   
Troy is correct. All of your audio positive and negative power supplies should come from the same point to eliminate differences in voltages that typically result in noise. This point is ultimately the battery but it may be more convenient to bring a set of large guage wires to a differnt location (say from a rear mounted battery to a set of distribution blocks in the front of the boat).
Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-28-2005, 4:46 PM Reply   
Does the GA of wire count for something? Also I have 3 batteries with Pergo switch. When it's on 1 battery the feedback ( only at low volume , the feedback gets drownded out at higher volume ) and when on Switch 2 ( 2 batteries )the feedback gets little less with same volume on deck. Would a lower end deck effect the performance? It's stock JVC installed in our VLX. Should I ground to negative on each battery?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-28-2005, 5:56 PM Reply   
I don't have personal experience but a couple folks here have said that the perko causes a voltage drop. That alone could cause noise. Make sure your deck and amp are running off the same feed, my guess is that they are not. Same applies to ground.