Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old    junglesmacks            04-27-2006, 8:58 PM Reply   
I just wanted to give everyone a heads up for this summer..

The MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus) bacteria is flowing pretty heavily in the rivers and lakes here in Central Florida.. I started getting like spider bite looking things on my legs.. like a zit that wouldn't go away.. which turned into nasty boils erupting.. 3 doctor visits a cycles of anti-biotics and they finally culture it to find.. MRSA.. I mainly hung out in the St Johns.

They best way to steer clear is each time you get out of the water, scrub down with Hibicleanse scrub (available at any Walgreens or CWS) in the shower. You don't want this stuff, trust me. The antibiotics I had to take make me want to hurl AND they make you super sensitive to sun.. no fun!

Be careful out there..

(Message edited by junglesmacks on April 27, 2006)
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-27-2006, 9:07 PM Reply   
MRSA is also becoming more common in gyms.
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-27-2006, 9:16 PM Reply   
i got that once and it took like 4 months to go away it looked so gross
Old     (twitch)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-27-2006, 9:49 PM Reply   
working in a hospital MRSA is a major thing for us... it is on level of the "superbugs"

methacillian is one of the anitbiotics and this "bug" is resistant to it and will not be cured by it

just FYI
Old    catfishh            04-28-2006, 4:42 AM Reply   
Thanks not good bro- I ride the st johns about 3-5 times per week ( until my latest boat problems) but non of us have gotten that or no anyone that has gotten it from the river. Where at on the St Johns are you??
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-28-2006, 7:18 AM Reply   
I always make sure that there is enough alcohol in my system to keep the "bugs" away.....
Old    junglesmacks            04-28-2006, 8:09 AM Reply   
I ride mainly in the section between Blue Springs and Highbanks Marina..

The doctors were saying that it's especially bad this year because of the lack of rain, meaning no fresh water flow.. stagnation breeds bacteria.. you know?

I went in this last week and WOW that river is 'stankin.. it's pretty nasty right now.. I've been making trips over to Lake Dora for my fun which sucks because I live 15 mins from the ramp under I-4..

Just get yourself a teal colored bottle of Hibicleanse to be safe and wash down when you take a shower that night. It hangs out on your skin and looks for any little cut of zit or anything to get in.. better safe than sorry!
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-28-2006, 8:21 AM Reply   
I read somewhere that Parks got a nasty case of a staph infection. I think it may be the stuff you guys are talking about.
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-28-2006, 8:38 AM Reply   
This bug is not to be confused with Ant Bug, although he has been spotted on the pages of Wakeworld with no known cure
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-28-2006, 10:15 AM Reply   
Thankfully summer is almost upon us and the daily afternoon showers should provide additional fresh water to reduce the chances of getting this.