Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (green210)      Join Date: Aug 2009       07-11-2010, 8:59 PM Reply   
We are thinking of adding a switch blade to our nautique 08 210. We have already maxed out are boat with fat sacs and we are looking at the switchblade to make it even bigger. We don't know how the wave is going to look with a nautique hull. If anyone has put one on their boat please tell me how it worked out.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-12-2010, 11:17 AM Reply   
I typed up a huge post about the forces involved and why i dont think itll work, but it wouldnt post. so i will try and dig up the last time I posted it, dont wanna type it all again.
Old     (GastonSurfer)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-12-2010, 12:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by green210 View Post
We are thinking of adding a switch blade to our nautique 08 210. We have already maxed out are boat with fat sacs and we are looking at the switchblade to make it even bigger. We don't know how the wave is going to look with a nautique hull. If anyone has put one on their boat please tell me how it worked out.
Your boat should provide more than an adequate surf wake without adding a Switchblade to it. My guess is that it will certainly void the hull warranty, and you will likely have a difficult time trying to sell it in the future. You say that you have maxed out the boat with sacs - can you give us some details on how you have the boat configured? If you really have sacked your boat out and you are still not happy with the surf wake, I'm not sure a blade is going to help.
Old     (green210)      Join Date: Aug 2009       07-12-2010, 6:10 PM Reply   
Well the port surf is huge on our boat, but the reason why we would be adding the switch blade to it is for the starboard side. We figured that the switchblade is going to be A LOT cheaper than making the prop spin the other way. In our boat we have about 500 in the rear locker 250 in the seat in front of the rear locker, and 650 in the bow walkway. We have the internal belly tank and starboard tank filled. Then there is the 200 pound person driving the boat on the starboard side. The warranty is not a problem for us.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-12-2010, 6:43 PM Reply   
I'm guessing you're opposed to having sacks out in the boat in plain view?

I would be worried about putting one on a hull not designed to have a switchblade. My guess would be its not able to handle extra stresses on the stern of your hull. I'm not sure if it could be properly reinforced to be able to handle to the load that is applied when in use. Thats an extra 1200lbs of force. I would look for a reputable boat builder in your area if you have one and talk with them or call switchblade up directly and speak with them
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-12-2010, 8:07 PM Reply   
try putting the 650 on the surf side seat and the 250 in the bow on the surf side. I was told (but have no idea) that the SAN hull to somewhat close to the Centurion Falcon. You can check out their wakes on Centurion Crew with Blade.

I would get a new boat before I put a SwitchBlade on an 08 SAN 210. You are going to kill resale value. If you are that into surfing there are some other boats that have better surf wakes. Also, if you surf mainly on the starboard side, you could just switch out transmission (i think) and prop to get the opposite rotation. My guess is that would be less than SwitchBlade. I thought I read where a guy with an Enzo did this for a $2K or less.

BTW, most people love or hate the SwitchBlade and the guys on Centurion Crew are basically split down the middle on whether or not they like it or not. You can also check out pro/con on Centurion Crew as well.
Old     (GastonSurfer)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-13-2010, 8:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by green210 View Post
Well the port surf is huge on our boat, but the reason why we would be adding the switch blade to it is for the starboard side. We figured that the switchblade is going to be A LOT cheaper than making the prop spin the other way. In our boat we have about 500 in the rear locker 250 in the seat in front of the rear locker, and 650 in the bow walkway. We have the internal belly tank and starboard tank filled. Then there is the 200 pound person driving the boat on the starboard side. The warranty is not a problem for us.
Not sure I would agree that you have maxed out your boat from a ballast perspective. You have plenty of room to add 750 lb. Fat Sacs on top of your tanks in the rear, and an integrated bow sack that adds 800+ lbs. to the front. I rode on an 08 210 last year with surfers on both port and starboard, and all we used was the standard ballast tanks and passengers. The wake on either side was great.

Rather than make such a drastic and expensive modification to your boat, you may want to spend more time playing around with weight placement and adding more ballast. Also, you don't know what affect the blade will have on your surf wake - it may very well turn to crap with it engaged. That is a pretty high dollar gamble.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-15-2010, 10:06 AM Reply   
I have the blade and I think there are many things you could do before going that route. Really the blade acts like 600lbs, adds a few inches, and cleans up the wave on the fly. I've seen a goofy wave just as nice as mine without blade. Ballast setups change depending on what side and prop rotation, so when someone has theirs dialed-in, don't think the same setup applies to the other side.

I went from a 9" to a 14" wakeplate and found the water falls down the wave farther back so I have a smooth face much farther back now. Something much cheaper to try before spending that much.

If the hull is like the Falcon V, it wants alot of weight in the middle. Think once you have a good lean, you just want to sink the boat to get the wave bigger. We start adding ballast on the wrong side to sink the boat.

About installing a blade on boats not designed: the large backing plate in and outside the transom takes the force load. Folks at switchblade have an old 80's DD with blade on it for surfing and boarding. I'll bet that transom is thinner than an 08' 210 Nauti. Eitherway, try other things first.