Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (ntkamper)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-01-2008, 6:30 PM Reply   
just got a pair of 08 murrays and was loving them. Cased the wake on a whirly 5 today and stubbed my toe so bad i actually broke it in a few places. it hurts so bad i cant even walk. so gay
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-01-2008, 6:35 PM Reply   
Ouch. I've broke my big toe and it was quite painfull. Were the bindings really tight or loose fitting? I get no movement in my 07 Murrays, but prefer very tight bindings.
Old     (ntkamper)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-01-2008, 6:39 PM Reply   
not tight maybe a little loose. what happend when you broke your big toe? thats what I broke and i cant even imagine riding on it
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-01-2008, 6:44 PM Reply   
2x8 fell from about six feet up on my toe. Not much they do for it either. Just time to heal.

(Message edited by wake upppp on February 01, 2008)
Old     (jpg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-01-2008, 7:22 PM Reply   
were your toe nails long?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-01-2008, 8:18 PM Reply   
I broke my big toe skim boarding, that shizz hurts like crazy!! You don't realize how much you push off your toe doing everything. You are going to be off it for 5-6 weeks, like any broken bone. Then start walking on it and i wakeskated a bunch before I strapped in. Sorry bro.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-01-2008, 10:48 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear that Nick.

But this is exactly why closed toe boots are still controversial.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-02-2008, 8:21 AM Reply   
I have only noticed that toe jamming or breaking in your case on ct bindings that are worn to loose in the lower lace section or the bindings may be a bit to big for you. If your foot is allowed to slide forward then you are more likely to jam or break it than if your toes are touching the end of the boot to begin with. My buddy has the 3ds bindings and they are a large when he should have been in a med/large and one day he did a krypt and when he landed his front foot blew right out of the binding (lucky for him the only thing holding the front of the ct part of the binding together was glue or he would have been in the same boat as you).
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-02-2008, 8:59 AM Reply   
yo nick, its kyle from rixen, sucks to hear that man...looks like you won't be sessioning the new afram for a while, lol. hope the doctors medicated you well
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-02-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear that. Here's a little story that might make you feel better. I saw a friend of mine get his toe smashed. Literally. He was cleaning the receiver for the 20mm cannon that comes in the Bradley M2A2 Infantry Fighting Vehicle. He had the receiver standing on its end, facing down. Not a very smart move. Not stable at all. This thing probably weighs about 60 pounds if I had to recollect. Standing it was about 4 1/2 feet tall with the bulk of the weight now at the tallest point. You can see where this is going. He was standing just about 4 1/2 feet away from it talking to someone. When T-I-M-B-E-R!!! down she fell. A bolt head on the end of the receiver landed right on his big toe. It ripped right through his Army boots and smashed his big toe into 20 something pieces. It literally smashed his toe. Hope that makes you feel better. Hope you have a speedy recover.
Old     (ntkamper)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-02-2008, 6:26 PM Reply   
actually kyle i was sessioning the a frame today. broken toe hurts really bad but not enough to keep me off the new aframe
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-02-2008, 8:46 PM Reply   
true!!! how was it, i'm going to hit it up tues...is it fun to transfer or is it like the old one that shoots you over the down rail
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-03-2008, 7:37 AM Reply   
Nick, do you still like the 08 murrays enough to keep them? I was thinking about trying some out because they look pretty sweet.
Old     (seven20)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-03-2008, 8:45 AM Reply   
if you are breaking your toes, your boots are too big. boots are made so close to snowboard boots and you never hear of a snowboarding injury unless its that kid with a size 8.5 who swears he has a 10
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-03-2008, 9:07 AM Reply   
The snowboard comparison doesnt work with wakeboarding. All of your momemtum in snowboarding tail to nose. In wakeboarding, a lot of of your momemtum is edge to edge, hence the possiblity for jamming your toes. In snowboarding you might jam the arch of your foot, but thats about it.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-03-2008, 10:07 AM Reply   
I have broken just about every toe possible. You big toe is by far the most painful foot injury I have suffered, worse than a broken ankle. I cannot imagine riding on it. I have successfully rode with a busted little toe, but it really sucks!
Old     (slainte6403)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-03-2008, 10:55 AM Reply   
So is this common with CT boots? Im looking into getting a set for the season......but i might stick with open toe after hearing this.....
Old     (tmoney8)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-03-2008, 2:49 PM Reply   
chris, if youre going to get them go try them on first. I have had three pairs of closed toes and the worst injury i have had is a jammed toe maybe. It is a must to get a size that is closest to you actual shoe size. dont get them big or your toes will suffer. other than that i think they are amazing, so much control.
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-04-2008, 1:32 PM Reply   
First off, super bummed you got injured riding. My first thought is that the bindings are most likely too big, like people have already pointed out. If you were to land with so much force that your toes jammed forward with enough distance to break a toe, I would think that if the toe was open, your foot would have enough force to blow through the binding so far that it would snap your leg, like we have all seen or at least heard about. While a busted toe hurts like nuts, I think the toe is a better trade.
When the closed toe was first introduced (excluding the SubRosa's from Fulltilt), we did think about people jamming their toes into the end. It has been few and far between that I have personally heard about it, and hope that it doesn't happen to anyone else.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-04-2008, 2:43 PM Reply   
I've seen a i think two different photos of guys with a leg blown out through the open toe of traditional bindings on wakeworld here.

I'd rather see a pic of a broken toe any day over that nasty, kreepy, bloody, bone cracking stuff.

... ohh and my sympathy too... sorry to hear.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-05-2008, 5:20 AM Reply   
Don't let the pro shops tell you different when purchasing closed toe bindings. I wear size 8....most shops carry a 9 and up. I was in a shop and I was told that the boots run small and to try a size 9. Width they felt fine...but my toes had some distance from the front of the boot. BE CAREFUL THAT YOU DO NOT FALL INTO THIS TRAP. If you like a CT boot and they do not have your shoe size....HAVE THEM ORDER IT AND NOT TRY TALKING YOU INTO THE BIGGER SIZE. I ordered my boot...again the width was perfect...but now so is the length. You can tell a good pro shop by the way they sell their product. If they care about you, they will suggest your correct size and take your order as oppose to selling what they have in stock. BTW Shaun......your new 08 boots are EXTREMELY AWESOME. The board is too! Plan on really rippin it when I go to Texas on a business trip tomorrow! I'll create a post when I get back on the ride....
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       02-05-2008, 6:25 AM Reply   
Shaun ~~