Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old    dbogart            07-13-2004, 1:18 PM Reply   
do you have to have a third person in the boat (two in the boat, one boarding) by law to wakeboard in PA or NJ? how strict are they on enforcing this? we use to do 2 in GA and were ok....
Old    leggester            07-13-2004, 1:46 PM Reply   
Why not look it up on their respective web sites?
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-13-2004, 1:49 PM Reply   
You only need 2 people in the boat if you are wakeboarding in NJ, PA, NY, etc. Just as long as someone is spotting you if you fall.
Old    dbogart            07-13-2004, 1:50 PM Reply   
matt, i did-for PA anyway. they say yes. i just wanted to know how heavily enforced it was. im trying to figure it out for lake wananpaupack (i butchered the spelling on that one).
Old    dbogart            07-13-2004, 1:52 PM Reply   
thats what i meant mango, 2 in the boat, one in the water. i just wanted to know how hard they were on that rule.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-13-2004, 2:11 PM Reply   
In Minnesota, a mirror or a person in the observer's seat are the same thing. Try the mirror and if you get stopped, say you are from Georgia and did not know. Worse case you get a ticket if you are even stopped.
Old    leggester            07-13-2004, 2:29 PM Reply   
David, it may also depend on the time you're there.

If you're hitting it before 8:00, you may not get stopped. ( e.g. 6 a.m. to 8 a.m. ). Most rangers here don't get out that early.

If you're having a few pops or other intox's, be careful. Don't want to be pulled over unecessarily ya know...
Old    dbogart            07-13-2004, 2:37 PM Reply   
thanks matt. i just noticed my girlfriend is going to have to get a boating safety certificate before she can get her liscense. woohoo!
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-13-2004, 4:51 PM Reply   
You should go to any New Jersey Motor Vehicles office and pick-up a free boating safety manual. It's only about 50 pages in length, it's easy reading and it tells you everything you NEED to know. We've been closely observed by New Jersey marine paolice several times to make sure everything we were doing was up to the legal requirements. We were even stopped once for not having a third (a spotter) on the boat. Fortunately he only gave my girlfriend (the boat driver) a written warning.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-14-2004, 4:04 AM Reply   
Whether its law or not you should always have an observer. Its a safety thing.
We never go out without min 3 people.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-14-2004, 7:11 AM Reply   
My brother and i have dressed up his board bag with a hooded sweatshirt and put "him" in the passenger seat. We've talked about getting a used dummy for a spoter. I do agree though it's not as safe. We only do it when we "HAVE" to.

(Message edited by shutupandboard on July 14, 2004)
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-14-2004, 7:18 AM Reply   
haha lets see a pic of that!
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-14-2004, 7:20 AM Reply   
that would be funny if you had a sex doll all dressed up and a cop pulled you over. what a shock that would be.
Old    dbogart            07-14-2004, 3:10 PM Reply   
sadly i thought of doing the same thing.
Old    dbogart            07-14-2004, 3:12 PM Reply   
sadly i thought of doing the same thing.
Old    norcal_99            07-14-2004, 9:19 PM Reply   
Why not just get a third? Safe boating is fun boating.
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       07-15-2004, 7:37 PM Reply   
Consider this.... (and I have done much 2 people boating) - IF someone gets hurt, and you can't get them in the boat due to the nature of their injury... how will you drive and handle the injured person on the platform?

And it has happened recently - good thing there was an extra person.
Old    dbogart            07-15-2004, 8:04 PM Reply   
got the message fellas.