Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-20-2014, 10:48 AM Reply   
As I'm sure many have heard, a man got killed in a boating accident by Railroad on the Delta [1].

Anyone has any details on the cause?

For those not familiar with the spot, the location [1] is where they added a 5 mph speed limit not long ago. The spot is one of the iconic riding locations on the Delta, but which I personally avoid, especially on weekends, because you have to watch out for crossing boat traffic when going under the bridge.

It got worse IMO since they added the 5 mph on the west side (which is where the accident happened), because some boats slow down, others blow right through. Don't know if that was in any way related to the accident.

Quote:
A 40-year-old Mountain House man was pulled from the waters of Old River Saturday afternoon by the Contra Costa County Sheriff’s dive team. The victim was pronounced dead at the scene.

At 11:30 a.m. Saturday, April 19, the Sheriff’s Marine Patrol teams responded to a solo vessel collision with reports of the occupant of the boat unaccounted for. The vessel struck a rail crossing support in Old River, according the Contra Costa County Office of the Sheriff.

Marine Patrol Deputy Sheriffs, United States Coast Guard, East County Fire and San Joaquin Sheriff’s Office all responded to the call. The California Highway Patrol and Coast Guard also supplied air support.

The cause of the incident remains under investigation. Anyone with information is asked to call the Marine Patrol at 925-427-8507, or email tips@so.cccounty.us.
[1] Location: https://maps.google.com/?ll=37.93993...05686&t=h&z=18
[2] News source: http://www.thepress.net/article_05e8...7a43b2370.html
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-20-2014, 1:45 PM Reply   
I was just driving around in that area last month. That area isn't too wide there. People definitely need to slow it down and this shows why.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-20-2014, 9:53 PM Reply   
And that's the easier of the 2 bridges to navigate on railroads.

Yeah the 5mph sign on that side have a lot of people confused for sure especially since no one slows to 5 there.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-21-2014, 8:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak4life View Post
As I'm sure many have heard, a man got killed in a boating accident by Railroad on the Delta [1].

Anyone has any details on the cause?

For those not familiar with the spot, the location [1] is where they added a 5 mph speed limit not long ago. The spot is one of the iconic riding locations on the Delta, but which I personally avoid, especially on weekends, because you have to watch out for crossing boat traffic when going under the bridge.

It got worse IMO since they added the 5 mph on the west side (which is where the accident happened), because some boats slow down, others blow right through. Don't know if that was in any way related to the accident.

[1] Location: https://maps.google.com/?ll=37.93993...05686&t=h&z=18

[2] News source: http://www.thepress.net/article_05e8...7a43b2370.html
This was a weird one. We ride right there almost every day. I am not sure what they hit and how they hit it. We were there Saturday shortly after it happened. The bass boat had the motor snapped off at the motor mount. They must have hit a submerged object to snap the motor mount. There appeared to be little or no damage to the hull of the bass boat. There are some old pylons that could be submerged at high tide, but they are not where anyone should hit them at high speed. I am very interested to hear the specifics of how this happened. There was not a second boat involved. The 5 mph signs had nothing to do with it. I hope that this unfortunate accident does not lead to oppressive regulation that will negatively affect wakeboarding in this area.

Sympathy and prayers for the victims and their families. This is another reminder to be careful out there. An unfortunate accident can change everything in an instant.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-21-2014, 8:57 AM Reply   
Yup. Those old pylons are way off to the side. You would have to be a maniac to be going fast way over there.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-21-2014, 10:44 AM Reply   
I don't understand this one either, you would have to be within 5 feet of the shore to hit one. Sadly when accidents happen on the delta they always add more 5mph zones.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-21-2014, 12:46 PM Reply   
^^^yep
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-21-2014, 3:12 PM Reply   
Shortly before 11:30 am Saturday, emergency crews responded to a boating accident near Cruiser Haven Marina off Orwood Road which two passengers were thrown into the Delta water.

The boat, traveling at roughly 50-mph hit something in the water, possibly an underwater log or sand dune, causing it to lose control before it hit the bridge—both passengers had already been thrown from the boat.

After about 40-minutes of search and rescue, the incident was changed to a recovery. At 4:00 pm„ the US Coast Guard and Contra Costa County Sheriff’s Office were still patrolling the area looking for the second boater. By 5:00 pm, the Contra Costa County Sheriffs Office announced the second boater had been recovered.

The passenger who made it to shore was being overlooking by American Medical Response and was okay, but visibly shaken from the accident around noon. Engine 94 out of Knightsen along with AMR and Oakley Police were first on scene along with the Contra Costa County Sheriff.

According to a source on scene, the missing boater was wearing a self-inflating vest that may not have worked. The boat was reportedly participating in a local fishing tournament when it lost control. The family of the boater has been notified.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-21-2014, 7:05 PM Reply   
Would like to hear what happened from the boater that survived. Very tragic, but it's not hard to slow down...
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-22-2014, 7:04 AM Reply   
We were there about 2 hours after it happened. There was 4 sheriff's boats and a coast guard rescue boat and a Coast Guard helo overhead. They told us they were doing a recovery mission. The area was closed. We had to go North and come in the back way into Orwood. While we were riding Vics on Sunday we came across 2 floating Islands(for a better word). They were about 5 feet across about 4 inches above the water, they were drifting. I wonder if they hit one of these that might have been right at waterline and did not see it. Everyone be careful out there. Keep you eyes open.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-22-2014, 9:17 AM Reply   
Note to guys in Bass boats: Most common Inflatable life jackets are only rated for upto 35 MPH. These guys are ripping the Delta at 70 all day long.
GET A PFD THAT FITS YOUR ACTIVITY !!
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-22-2014, 2:45 PM Reply   
Too fast for conditions...nobody should be doing 50 near/under that bridge. Good thing he didn't hit anyone else...just killed the guy with him.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-22-2014, 2:54 PM Reply   
Don, are you talking about that floating thing at the top of Vics that looks like a rock or a pile of dirt? This is the first year that I have seen those things.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-22-2014, 2:58 PM Reply   
^^^someone needs to put a bouy on that thing. Its a freakin island.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-22-2014, 3:15 PM Reply   
Now I'm not a fisherman, but if you're fishing, aren't you typically sitting still? Isn't going fast into a new area and scaring the fish really frowned upon? I know we always get glares from fishermen, even if we're like 50-100ft away and going like 20mph.
I'm not sure how those tournaments work, if there's a time limit they were trying to make or something, but it seems to me people bass fishing have no business going 50mph, let alone in that area.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-22-2014, 3:28 PM Reply   
Fishermen at the delta are either stopped fishing or running at full throttle. There's no in-between with those guys.
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-22-2014, 3:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Don, are you talking about that floating thing at the top of Vics that looks like a rock or a pile of dirt? This is the first year that I have seen those things.
Jarrod, yes though they seem to have moved...had one drifting other end of Vics at turnaround and another about half way down on South side.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-22-2014, 3:38 PM Reply   
The one at the turnaround (union Point side) is stationary.
Where's this other one?
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-22-2014, 3:49 PM Reply   
Not to get to far off topic but does anyone have a picture of this floating island?
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-22-2014, 4:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Yes Jerrod. There was one on Sunday and it wasn't there Saturday. It floated down Vice towards UP. It took it about 2.5 hours to do so. My buddy Matt tail tapped it on one of our passes and it sunk a little and re surfaced.