Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (mikejones)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-19-2013, 3:05 PM Reply   
So what's the consensus on the best location to mount a gopro on your board to provide the best vids? I have zero experience with the go pro and hear the surf mount once on, can't be relocated without a new mount. Nose, tail, between feet? I suppose you don't want it too close to any edge bit wondering if you guys had any advice. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       02-19-2013, 3:35 PM Reply   
Really the best thing I can tell you is to play around and try different things. I have heard that you can take a hair dryer to the mounts to remove them. I have never tried it though. I use the handle bar / seat post mount on a 1" dowel rod shoved into a cut down noodle for a little extra piece of mind in case you drop it. Have someone ride in the UBS about 3 feet in front of you and enjoy the view. Whole different perspective up close we started doing that towards the middle of last year and had a blast doing it.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       02-19-2013, 3:37 PM Reply   
Here is a clip I made last summer. My edit skills need help but you will get the idea

http://youtu.be/Sew5DG1gTl0
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       02-19-2013, 3:40 PM Reply   
Also mounted the camera to the center of the handle. Some cool stuff comes out of that too. Again my skills working the edit software need work but this clip is slow mo of my buddy throwing a tantrum from the handle mount.

http://youtu.be/C3aMUiqVEro
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       02-19-2013, 3:41 PM Reply   
You are only limited by your imagination.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-19-2013, 4:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpass1 View Post
Here is a clip I made last summer. My edit skills need help but you will get the idea

http://youtu.be/Sew5DG1gTl0
nice video man!
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       02-19-2013, 6:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by njskier View Post
nice video man!
Thanks. I actually had one shot clip that day that was a lot like some of the stuff you would see in the Matrix. The tube was moving to the left while the rider was moving to the right. They met in the middle of the wakes and on the footage the rider seemed to freeze in mid air while the camera panned around him. The shot was epic!! The only problem is that when I went ot load it on to the computer the file ended up getting corrupt and I lost it. I will have to try to recreate it this season.

Last edited by Bumpass1; 02-19-2013 at 6:20 PM. Reason: added content
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-19-2013, 7:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejones View Post
I have zero experience with the go pro and hear the surf mount once on, can't be relocated without a new mount.
You can remove the surf mount by heating it up with a blow dryer and prying/peeling it off. It is kind of a pain but can be done. They have reduced the size of the surf mount since the original one's so they may be easier to remove now. I wouldn't reuse the mount once it has been taken off. The sticky foam can get torn up when you take it off and you don't want it falling off. Spend the $15 on a new mount instead of diving for your go pro on the bottom of the lake.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-19-2013, 7:17 PM Reply   
HIJACK... does anyone know why the url below is www.youtu.be and not www.youtube.com. I have seen it before and it always made me cautious. Not implying anything Bumpass1, just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpass1 View Post
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-19-2013, 9:09 PM Reply   
I put mine out towards the tip of the nose/heelside corner. It moves a decent amount on hard landings, and I was surprised at how heavy and noticable it was. Therefore I would recommend not putting it towards the tip/corner.
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-19-2013, 9:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckledragger View Post
HIJACK... does anyone know why the url below is www.youtu.be and not www.youtube.com. I have seen it before and it always made me cautious. Not implying anything Bumpass1, just curious.
I have seen that before too and not sure why because when you click on it the link is real. And I was also wondering why he was Hijacking this thread to show his video's that had no GoPro mount in it at all. Was a cool video though!
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       02-20-2013, 5:29 AM Reply   
I did not intend to hijack at all, and I am sorry for that. I was just trying to show some different ways to use the camera. What I find so great about go pros is all the different ways you can use them. All the different angles you can get make the edits different. Again I apologize for the jacking the thread.
Old     (mikejones)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-20-2013, 6:11 AM Reply   
So one vote for the nose toward the heels but not too close to either edge. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-20-2013, 9:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfergus7 View Post
I have seen that before too and not sure why because when you click on it the link is real. And I was also wondering why he was Hijacking this thread to show his video's that had no GoPro mount in it at all. Was a cool video though!
No, i was implying i was hijacking the thread for asking the question. I think Bumpass1 vid is great. If you don't center the mount put it toward your toeside edge
Old     (norwalkbeast)      Join Date: May 2011       02-20-2013, 5:04 PM Reply   
I saw this and I thought it might work and I might try it this year. This looks pretty cool!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9lWZlm6v3o
Old     (mikejones)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-26-2013, 4:01 PM Reply   
No additional advice on location? Just got the surf mounts and getting ready to stick it on the nose, heel side, in between the two fin screws. Maybe just a hair toward the center of the board from the heel side leading edge fin.

Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-26-2013, 5:40 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhK7M...ature=youtu.be

My results with it on the nose of the board. Looks sick, but you run a high risk of it coming off. The first one was my first attempt at a superman frontroll. Clearly didn't happen and the actual mounting bracket on the GoPro housing snapped off, like the clear plastic on the bottom broke. You can see the GoPro fly away from the board when I hit the water. It doesn't handle force from the side very well.

The tail grab, the entire sticky mount came off for some reason. Both times I had the floaty backdoor on it and saved it. So if you don't have one, don't put the thing on your board.

The shots can be sick if you make sure to line it up properly after each landing, but I'd definitely go with nose or tail. And as wide of an angle as you can get it. Make sure that you put it far enough away from the edge though that you won't hit it on grabs. I had a friend lose his when he knocked it off on a grab.
Old     (Goonz)      Join Date: Sep 2012       02-27-2013, 3:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckledragger View Post
They do that so that you can use more characters in twitter.
Old     (mikejones)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-27-2013, 8:39 AM Reply   
The red circle is where I'm slapping this thing unless you guys have a better suggestion. Thanks for the help.

Name:  one.jpg
Views: 2698
Size:  31.9 KB
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       02-27-2013, 6:57 PM Reply   
I would move it closer to the tip if I were you. I think it will give you a bit more field of view while filming back toward you.