Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            11-19-2011, 6:00 PM Reply   
Drew Richardson of Surffresh.com picked up a new B-52 from the Factory and took it by Larson's Marine in Stockton for a surf specfic ballast upgrade install. Drew invited us to surf it tomorrow and I'll post some pictures of the wake and better pics of the boat itself, in the daylight, hopefully late tomorrow or Monday.

I don't know much about the boat, but I'll try and get some specifics from Drew tomorrow while we are out on the lake. I did notice the V in the hull looks substantial and the swim deck is mostly filled in underneath. Also it's a single outlet exhaust.

Anyway, here are some pictures for you MB fans.
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            11-19-2011, 6:02 PM Reply   
Shoot talked about the exhaust and V and didn't include the picture!
Attached Images

Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-19-2011, 6:29 PM Reply   
please post up details on the ballast specs... would like to know what I'm in for if the upgrade bug calls.

FWIW on our 2011 we usually don't run beyond stock, but have found that the wave is substantially better with the non-surf-side half full-ish.
Old    surfdad            11-19-2011, 7:07 PM Reply   
Thanks shawndoggy. This has an 800 sac on top of the stock 1200 tank on the port side and I believe 600 on the starboard tank. I will verify that with Drew tomorrow. You're also finding that 1/2 full on the off side is a good starting point?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-19-2011, 10:30 PM Reply   
We've never run that heavy. The most I've run is two bricks and a 400. 400 on the floor and bricks on surf side seats, along with full surf side ballast and half full non-surf. We found that the bags were a PITA and didn't really add to the wave. Next season I'd really like to try weight in the nose.

This is just full surf side and half full on the off side with 4 in the boat:

we do get a fair amount of prop wash though. It looks worse in the pic than it is, but ... I am considering a "duffy flap" on the swim deck for next season....
Old    surfdad            11-20-2011, 5:26 PM Reply   
Thanks for the 1/2 fill the off side tip shawndoggy, that did the trick. This was a great wake on both sides. Drew was indicating that it is a right hand rotation. Definately a lot of fun.
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            11-20-2011, 5:29 PM Reply   
and a few pictures of the boat in the sun!
Attached Images

Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-20-2011, 6:39 PM Reply   
I really like it!
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       11-20-2011, 6:42 PM Reply   
by a RH prop rotation do you mean it favors the goofy side? like a reverse rotation enzo?
Old    surfdad            11-20-2011, 6:50 PM Reply   
@ Joey, it was a great boat, really fun wakes.

@ Trevor, yes indeed. Drew told me that it favors the darkside some, so he reduced the ballast bag by 200 pounds from the regular side. The regular side wake sure seemed great to me.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-20-2011, 7:53 PM Reply   
what speed were you guys running?
Old     (rmotoxxx711)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-20-2011, 8:12 PM Reply   
I don't know about about the surf on it but my buddy has got the same boat and I roll the 1200 plus a 600 in the sitting area and 350 up front with 5 people and that wake is so dope for riding (comparing to my '02 San with 3000lbs)... Oh Larson Marine is the **** by the way
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-20-2011, 8:44 PM Reply   
This is just factory ballast with two people in the boat, running 13.6 (I was trying to see how fast I could go without my son falling out):

Old    surfdad            11-21-2011, 6:03 AM Reply   
We ran at 11 mph all day. The stock ballast is probably all that's needed for most folks, depending upon your crew for the day. The boat really seemed to like weight in the back. What I found interesting was that the transition remained really stable through all the weight ranges we tried during the day.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-21-2011, 9:54 AM Reply   
Does anyone know if the hull is different? Looks deeper and a more of V shape?
Old     (SWS)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-21-2011, 10:22 AM Reply   
The hull is the same it has been for some time now. MB is building a new 24' as we speak though.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-21-2011, 10:39 AM Reply   
Any idea when it changed? Hopefully they fix their picklefork.
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-21-2011, 12:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
This is just factory ballast with two people in the boat, running 13.6 (I was trying to see how fast I could go without my son falling out):

you son will make a great surf breaker/poper.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-21-2011, 12:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboyy7 View Post
you son will make a great surf breaker/poper.
LOL yes this was his warm up for the junior wakesurf robot worlds .
Old    surfdad            11-21-2011, 4:52 PM Reply   
That is a great vid!

A few additional pictures I thought folks might like to see. A few of the dash, I'm not sure what in there is optional. Standing on the engine cover looking forward. A picture of the port side sac filled, it didn't fill the locker and didn't extend up under the bench seat. Sort of as a comparison, the starboard side sac, empty, so you can see where it stopped.

I can't remember what order I uploaded them!!!! Sorry!
Attached Images

Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       11-22-2011, 9:58 AM Reply   
Great looking wave! I was impressed with the wave when we demoed. We threw a 500lb sac up front. I only wakeboarded behind it when we demoed but the surf wave looked amazing.
Old    surfdad            11-22-2011, 10:26 AM Reply   
Yeah it sure was fun. We didn't run any weight forward. Well, I take that back, Drew took a smoke break or two up there, but mostly there was no weight in the bow, everyone was behind the windshield. It was crazy windy and cold, so we were all huddled in the back.

I took several videos, but this is the only one I've uploaded. James' 7 at the beginning took him pretty far back, but if you look at where he pumps in, around the 50 second mark, after the turn down into the narrows at Hogan, it gives a real good idea of the length of the pocket. He was able to squeeze in a few pumps, he normal just hits one on most wakes. It didn't seem like it needed any weight up front.

Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-22-2011, 10:51 AM Reply   
Nice video. Did you have the trim tab all the way up in that video? If you drop it down to 50% would it take care of that prop wash?
Old    surfdad            11-22-2011, 11:02 AM Reply   
Thanks! It's my fingers over the lens at the beginning that makes that video We messed with the trim tab a bit...I can't remember where it was set when we took that video. So it might help? Dunno. It was horribly windy that day, if you look at that first picture of James way up above where he is at the back of the pocket and behind him there is all that spray - that isn't him, that's just the wind blowing the wash all over This wake did have something going on though. The swim deck never touched the water, and the flow of the water coming off the sides and from the prop converged about 6 inches past the swim deck. At that convergence there was that random sort of spray upward. Some of it actually came forward. It was weird. I'd love to see a slightly longer swim deck, I think that'd tame it, or maybe like you suggest changing the trim tab some.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-22-2011, 12:13 PM Reply   
Fun looking wave. MB boats are looking better and better!
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       11-22-2011, 3:27 PM Reply   
When we first got started I trimed down one quarter and forgot about it so it stayed there for the rest of the day even on goofy and it worked very well. As cold as it was we all just wanted to see what it could do. I can only amagine if we had a few days with better conditions and time to move pop sacks around, different trim settings etc. I have some great pics and will get them up as soon as I get over the jet lag, red eye hell
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-23-2011, 10:22 AM Reply   
Nothing more fun than playing with a new boat. ;-)
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       11-23-2011, 4:27 PM Reply   
Starting from the begining I met the beast at Larson's Marine in Stockton and they ( Felix and Nate) installed the ballast system that I had shipped to them from Wakemakers, thanks for the help Spencer and a SHOUT OUT for WAKE MAKERS on good ideas and making it happen without a lot of time. So here are some random shots of the pumps, ports, etc. going in. We went with a 600lb on starboard and a 800lb on port, 2 Jabsco reversable pumps, two through hull intake valves with shutoff, and 2 side holes, one vent / overflow and one dump / empty.
Attached Images

Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       11-23-2011, 5:26 PM Reply   
Here is one of a pump mounted to a sidewall of a hard factory ballast tank
Attached Images

Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       11-23-2011, 6:59 PM Reply   
Here are some of "The Rusults" pictures, once I remembered that I did not fill the reg stock tank half full the goofy side was just as good and I believe that both were as good or better than any of us have ever seen, and that was on a first time out with a 23 B52 ever, I am ordering one Monday, colors picked, enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving folks !
Attached Images

Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-23-2011, 7:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by surffresh View Post
I believe that both were as good or better than any of us have ever seen
Of any boat?
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       11-25-2011, 10:28 AM Reply   
sorry jkw....but this sounds like an invitation into a can of worms, for anyones referance go back and look at the 2nd picture of James and "the wall"...maybe Jeff will include one of his pictures that he has on facebook of the goofy wake, the one with Eric on the rope and about 3 feet of drop below him is outstanding. The 2 pictures show how good each side is, I just wish the light was better in mine, time for some football !!!
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-25-2011, 11:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Here is one of a pump mounted to a sidewall of a hard factory ballast tank
Might want to think about flipping the pumps.If the seal fails water will fill the motor and ruin the pump
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-25-2011, 11:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesurfer View Post
Of any boat?
Lake of course not click on the surffresh link they show MB and supreme boats but the center of there Logo has a pic of an Enzo LOL I think that says it all
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-25-2011, 11:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
Lake of course not click on the surffresh link they show MB and supreme boats but the center of there Logo has a pic of an Enzo LOL I think that says it all
I just laugh because it seems about this time each year he starts selling a different boat brand and makes the same claim. Last year it was the Supreme 226 and this year its the MB 23 WB (which I am sure are both great boats). Before that, I am sure it was the Enzo or Avy.

I am sure Surffresh is a great guy, but to claim any one wave is the best is crazy (especially when the claim is coming from a guy trying to sell the boat).
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-25-2011, 12:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
sorry jkw....but this sounds like an invitation into a can of worms, for anyones referance go back and look at the 2nd picture of James and "the wall"...maybe Jeff will include one of his pictures that he has on facebook of the goofy wake, the one with Eric on the rope and about 3 feet of drop below him is outstanding. The 2 pictures show how good each side is, I just wish the light was better in mine, time for some football !!!
It is not an invitation, that is just a very bold statement you made. I just wanted to make sure I heard it right. BTW, its a nice wave, but it really does not look any better than the Avy I just sold. It surely does not look and better than the numerous Enzo 230/240/244, Wake9 RZ2/24 Ve/Z3, Bu 247, etc pics or videos I have seen.

But as long as its the best wave to you, that is all that matters.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-25-2011, 12:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
the 2nd picture of James and "the wall"
James is vertically challenged like I am So if you leaned way over the side of my Enzo and
took a pic of me while I squatted at the bottom of my turn, it would look like my wave was over my head

Were you not running the same set up in this pic?

BTW: I am stuck at my in-laws, so I am a little grumpy today.
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            11-25-2011, 8:32 PM Reply   
James is 5'9'ish. Pretty average height, not challenged, not freakishly tall either.

The pictures you compared are in fact with different configurations, as well as, different cameras, and different locations. The cameras were held at different heights and different locations within the boat for the pictures you are trying to compare.

I'm not a big fan of superlatives, this was a fun boat and wake. Not the biggest, best, longest or anything else. It was a great deal of fun, though!

The darkside wake pictures that Drew referenced. Eric rides regular he was trying front side switch for the first time.
Attached Images

Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-26-2011, 5:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdad View Post
James is 5'9'ish. Pretty average height, not challenged, not freakishly tall either.

The pictures you compared are in fact with different configurations, as well as, different cameras, and different locations. The cameras were held at different heights and different locations within the boat for the pictures you are trying to compare.

I'm not a big fan of superlatives, this was a fun boat and wake. Not the biggest, best, longest or anything else. It was a great deal of fun, though!

The darkside wake pictures that Drew referenced. Eric rides regular he was trying front side switch for the first time.
Surfdad/Surffresh: please just ignore me, just bored and stuck all week at the in laws. I really was just being a smart*ss more than anything. Great looking wave. I always thought MB makes a great boat.

As for James, Surfdad is correct - "vertically challenged" was probably a little strong. I guess we are both average height at around 5'9"ish.

Last edited by lakesurfer; 11-26-2011 at 5:13 AM.
Old    surfdad            11-26-2011, 6:08 AM Reply   
Deal. I'm an EXPERT on vertically challenged at 5'4" James towers over me! I hear you on the in-laws stuff, makes folks not quite themselves! I hope the time passes quickly for you!
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-29-2011, 8:06 AM Reply   
guys what do these boats run about price wise?
Old    surfdad            11-29-2011, 8:42 AM Reply   
When I picked the boat up for Drew, I asked that same question of the folks at Larson Marine. The base price for the boat at Larson is 60,000. The boat pictured above, Drew indicated, had 9,000 worth of options. I don't know what all of those are, but I'm sure the stereo and the 409 ci engine are two.
Attached Images

Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-30-2011, 8:02 AM Reply   
This is my demo for sale.... doesn't have the 409 or quick to plane plate, but it's good buy!
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=29676
Old    surfdad            12-15-2011, 5:11 AM Reply   
I swiped this picture off of Facebook. I'm not sure I like the Yellow one we got to ride, this color combo is a little more pleasing in my eyes.
Attached Images

Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       12-16-2011, 11:48 AM Reply   
I'm really like this one...making me thinking about selling my Axis to get it.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-16-2011, 2:01 PM Reply   
Good lookin boat right there!
Old    surfdad            12-17-2011, 6:51 AM Reply   
That is a good looking boat. The darker gelcoat seems to look better to me.

I found some additional pictures from when we rode behind that boat. Not to infer that it's the biggest/best or any other superlative, but it was a really fun wake to ride.
Attached Images

Old     (Woody)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-17-2011, 8:15 AM Reply   
Jeff, how would you compare that wake to your wake(V226)? BTW I just bought Drew's 2011 V226.
Old    surfdad            12-17-2011, 9:05 AM Reply   
You got a killer deal Woody! We had a LOT more weight in the MB than we normally use in our V226, so I'm not sure if the comparison I can make is really all that useful to you. We had close to 1,000 pounds more ballast in the MB, that day, than I have ever had in my V226.

That said, the MB in that configuragtion had a taller wake, without losing the transition, plus it was longer. Well, the usable wake was longer. Once it curls over, I count that as done. It was fun!

Have you had your V226 out yet? I'd love to see pictures of your wake.
Old     (Woody)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-17-2011, 12:34 PM Reply   
I still cant believe the killer deal I got on the boat. I will not be getting the boat until after Christmas because I'm leaving for the Dominican Republic tomorrow morning. Sadly I live in NJ and it's cold here, so I wont be using the boat until April or so.

How much weight are you using in your boat and how do you have it configured? I think I'm going to have a custom enzo sac made for the boat and maybe hand fill on in the bow if it needs it. I'm sure I'll sac it out real heavy a handful of times to see what that bad boy will do.
Old    surfdad            12-17-2011, 4:47 PM Reply   
We don't have the stock tanks at all, so our ballast consists of custom sacks on both the port and starboard side. I believe theorethical maximum is 1,500 port and 1,300 starboard. I doubt we're within 200 of those maximums. Then the center tank filled, which I believe is in the 250 pound range. The rest is people weight. With one person riding it's typically just 250 to 300 pounds. So maybe 1,800 to 2,000 pounds'ish dependant upon crew.

We were on your boat in Florida with like 10 or so people and the wake was great fun!
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-16-2012, 8:29 AM Reply   
guys do you know if the 21 foot version can produce a good wake as well?
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-16-2012, 10:38 AM Reply   
I really like the MB B-52, and happy they still have a reasonable price range! To bad I'm stuck with my Avy, LOL! Not really, haha I love my Avy wave!! If I was going to trade it in, the B-52 would definatley be one I would test ride!
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-16-2012, 10:45 AM Reply   
hey Brendon, got your email from OIB, I am at the apple store getting set up with a new pc, so my email is out for now but will be back tonight, yep I am a dealer
Old     (tomcat21)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-16-2012, 7:41 PM Reply   
What size is the trim tab they put on the MB is it a lenco 12 x18 edge-mount
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-17-2012, 7:22 AM Reply   
I am starting to think that the tab causes some rain drops and when the tab is put down a bit they come backwards into the boat, I am going to test a boat (MB) without a tab next week.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-17-2012, 7:47 AM Reply   
You starting to have doubts about the trim tab Drew?
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-17-2012, 7:50 AM Reply   
so no trim tab?
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-17-2012, 10:16 AM Reply   
no I like what it does, just the shape may need some work bc I am start to think by process of elimination that it is the culprit, it's a very small thing but I am looking for perfection, it has sides that come up and I think they may scoop
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-17-2012, 10:56 AM Reply   
I wonder if they could do something like this if the edges are causing a problem.

Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-22-2012, 4:10 AM Reply   
that's crazy Jon!
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-22-2012, 7:56 AM Reply   
Drew, did the mods to the wake plate help? Show us the results.
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-22-2012, 10:01 AM Reply   
Drew - awesome boat man. Congrats

Doesn't that boat come thru Clermont on it's way home?

e
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-22-2012, 11:26 AM Reply   
thanks Ed, I sold that boat to a girl in Russia, this is behind my new one that I have on Lake Norman Charlotte NC area, my niece in the pic is 6', I have figured out that by trimming it down a little more it cleans up fine on the 23
Attached Images

Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-22-2012, 12:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
thanks Ed, I sold that boat to a girl in Russia, this is behind my new one that I have on Lake Norman Charlotte NC area, my niece in the pic is 6', I have figured out that by trimming it down a little more it cleans up fine on the 23
DAMN. what speed?!
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-22-2012, 12:33 PM Reply   
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-08-2012, 2:36 PM Reply   
here is one for the books, it's my wife on a Shred Stixx Thresher, behind my new demo set up just like the yellow one above, she's about 5'6" average hight
Attached Images

Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-08-2012, 3:09 PM Reply   
holy crap.....
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-09-2012, 5:38 AM Reply   
Wow please post more pics of that monster.
Old     (kayakwv)      Join Date: Apr 2012       06-09-2012, 9:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
here is one for the books, it's my wife on a Shred Stixx Thresher, behind my new demo set up just like the yellow one above, she's about 5'6" average hight
Looks to big to be true. Awesome.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-11-2012, 1:06 PM Reply   
What's the total weight that you are running Drew?
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-11-2012, 1:23 PM Reply   
guys how is the goof side wake? all these pics seem to be on the regular side.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-12-2012, 1:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Nice Photoshop work...
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-12-2012, 2:45 PM Reply   
no tune man it's 100% the real deal, we turned around and hit a double up and the pic was taken right when the wave blew up, scroll up @carfan , few good goofy shots, the prop is goofy rotation so the boat favors a goofy wave