Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (splatman)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-18-2009, 11:39 AM Reply   
This summer I've been trying to land a backroll, and now I can get all the way around and land on the board but I never stick it!!
Any tips would be appreciated :-)

This is normally what happens...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=st8vSmMo_us

www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4RHGWk792M&feature=channel

(Message edited by splatman on August 18, 2009)
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-18-2009, 11:49 AM Reply   
you have it man.... just hold on. if you let your arms out right before you land it will slow down that rotation at the end. also, are you seeing your landing. i.e. spotting it. i know it sounds crazy but its very easy to close your eyes and hope. make sure you focus on the spot and keep your eyes open. you have it.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-18-2009, 12:01 PM Reply   
First video was closer than the 2nd. make sure you stay on edge all the way through the top of the wake and keep tension on the line the entire way through the backroll. Just like Bryan said, if you let your arms out, you slow down your rotation, and if you keep the handle closer to your body, you will rotate faster.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-18-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
Put some weight in the boat. That's what worked for me. I probably did about 200 of what you did in your video with no success (no exaggeration). Then I got behind a weighted 2001 and landed my first three in a row.
Old     (splatman)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-18-2009, 12:30 PM Reply   
ok thanks!
I'll be on the boat all next week so I'll try everything then!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-18-2009, 12:36 PM Reply   
Bryan is right. If you can spot your landing at all, then you will have a much better chance of landing this trick. Being able to spot the water is huge in using the handle, your legs, etc. to get ready for the landing. Just keep your eyes and head turned over your left shoulder.
Old     (johnnewton8)      Join Date: May 2009       08-18-2009, 1:21 PM Reply   
Do you have access to a trampoline with a way to tie off a rope and handle next to it? Practice doing the roll and (like has been said before) spot your landing. Keep your handle low and close to your hip, it gives you a good axis to spin on. When you have spotted your landing, let go with your back hand. It pulls you in line.

Ok, now with riding; are you going out as far as you can then barreling into the wake to hit it and flip? You need to have controlled barrel (the way you tuck and approach the wake) and burst that is about 5 to 8 feet outside of the wake. (With just doing a w2w jump) You want to hit the wake solid, ride it all the way up, and land on the down slope of the other wake. Once you have that controlled and consistent, try your backroll. Approach the wake solid and strong, stay committed, ride all the way up the wake, do your roll, SPOT your landing and let go with your back hand. Letting go with your back hand will line your board and body up with the boat so you are not getting pulled around for a 180. Landing on the downslope will give you a softer and more secure landing. Don't be afraid to move your handle in about 5ft if you are not making it to the other wake or casing. Once you have it down, move your handle back out.

Remember its all about control, Hope that helps out... Enjoy
Old     (premierwake136)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-18-2009, 3:17 PM Reply   
take a slower approach and maybe add 5 ft to the rope
Old     (splatman)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-20-2009, 1:57 PM Reply   
unfortunately I don't have access to a tramp, that would be nice.
thanks for all the advice!
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-20-2009, 4:22 PM Reply   
I am by no means pro rider but it looks like you are charging way to hard at the wake. You are landing waaaaay out in the flats. Sweeet for sure but try taking a shorter approach. You have the trick...... just need to tone it down a bit and get it under control. I think a shorter approach would help out.

You're charging and taking it big for sure though.
Old     (dillls)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-21-2009, 6:52 AM Reply   
Bennie and Jets????

Thats your problem right there.
Old     (splatman)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-22-2009, 11:22 AM Reply   
lol I blame elton john too. his music is gay

I think you're right on my approach, I'll try lettin off the gass a lil :-)
Old     (l_b)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-22-2009, 11:56 AM Reply   
LMAO, Josh.

I agree with John. Put some more weight in the boat.