Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-02-2007, 2:19 PM Reply   
Maybe some dealers can help me out on this. I've been trying to figure out if my area would be good for an inboard dealership of some sort.

There are none within a few hours from here and the area is right on the Mississippi with a few lakes around, but not too many.

We're about 5 - 10 years behind in the inboard realm here and there aren't many in the area at all. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has done any type of market analysis on this before and how it is done?
Old     (lotoftime)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-02-2007, 2:22 PM Reply   
What part of Mississippi?
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-02-2007, 2:23 PM Reply   
Quad Cities... right on the Mississippi River I meant.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-02-2007, 2:45 PM Reply   
Are there a lot of boarders in your area? I think that'll play a role in how fast your business will pick up.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-02-2007, 2:54 PM Reply   
I don't think so really. This place is years behind most places. Not sure if you get WaterSki Magazine, but there was this great article about Doug in Farmer City, he opened http://theliquidedge.com/ and just recently started selling MC. He just went ahead and did it and i know he's selling some boats and has a killer shop. I went to go visit him a few weeks ago just to check it all out. Few hour drive but worth it.

I just don't know about the market here. It's mainly I/Os and it's not a white collar town by any means... but, it has to start somehow.
Old    bocephus            07-02-2007, 3:16 PM Reply   
Man, I would think that the Quad Cities would be a great place for a dealership. I grew up in Monmouth and spent almost everyday in the summers in the Oquawka area running around the backwaters of the Mississippi. I would occasionally go up to Andalusia to explore the backwaters. My dad used to ski from Dubuque all the way down to Nauvoo, through the locks and all.

You are definitely correct about the area being behind in the inboard scene though. My buddy works at one of the biggest fiberglass shops in the area - Kruidenier Kreations and they have never even heard of most of the boat manufacturers. There isn't exactly a lot of money running around though is there? Maybe there is more around the QC area, but the Monmouth, Galesburg, Peoria, and Burlington areas are pretty low income over all, I think. A lot of rich farmers around though...I bet that the manufacturer that you would go to would have some input for you on this.

I keep asking myself this same question, why isn't there a CC dealer in Vegas?
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-02-2007, 3:21 PM Reply   
Not much money, but Peoria is getting pretty nice actually. There is wealthy areas here for sure though. I know if I did it i'd have to put on a marketing blitz and demo days and get some riders down here to show off the sport.

You are right though, anyone who grew up on the Miss grew up skiing for the most part. then you'd have to figure out which brand to go with too. I might make some calls to the manufacturers to inquire as to how they determine areas, etc.
Old    bocephus            07-02-2007, 3:27 PM Reply   
The Miss ain't exactly the best place to wakeboard or ski for that matter. Lots of stuff floating down the old river...and then you have wing damns, etc...I have seen more than one boat hit a wing damn. When I was a kid my parents wouldn't even let me swim in the backwaters, let alone wakeboard.

What are the lakes like in the area. I can't think of any except maybe Little Swan. Do they allow skiing/wakeboarding on Frye Lake in Sherrard, lots of money around the Sherrard area. Monmouth has Lake Warren, but heck, they get in an up roar over the wakes made by CC 196 so I would imagine they would go ballistic over a wakeboarding boat.

What are the other lakes in the area?
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-02-2007, 3:38 PM Reply   
Not much, Lake Carrol, Spoon Lake and some others towards central IA. Fyre lake has a size limit that is really small so you couldn't put one in. I'll have to dig up more info.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-02-2007, 3:45 PM Reply   
there is a decent amount of lakes on the Iowa side it seems, Coralville is big for sure.

http://www.iowadnr.com/fish/fishing/fishia2.html
Old     (cadesun)      Join Date: May 2007 Location: Chicago       07-02-2007, 4:24 PM Reply   
I am actually originally from Iowa and if I were to start an inboard dealer I think I would lean more towards the bigger lakes like Clear Lake, Spirit Lake, or Okaboji. There is better water and more money in those areas. Iowa City and Cedar Rapids also have a good amount of money in them, but not as much for water.

The Miss is deadly for boats. My father-in-law lost his lower unit last season to a submurged wingdam. I would never even consider taking my boat on there. I can't stand wakeboarding on it because I am so nervous to fall for fear of hitting a stump or something.
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-02-2007, 6:27 PM Reply   
there's an mc dealer in coralville I believe.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-02-2007, 7:21 PM Reply   
Don't the manufacturers do the MA before they agree to stock product? I know they do in central North Carolina.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-02-2007, 8:01 PM Reply   
Term: Wing-dam (logging)
Definition: A pier built from the shore, usually slanting down-stream to narrow and deepen the channel, to guide logs past an obstruction or to throw all the water on one side of an island. Same as pier-dam.

Is this what we are talking about????
Old     (cadesun)      Join Date: May 2007 Location: Chicago       07-03-2007, 8:30 AM Reply   
From what I know wingdams are submerged (usually) stone piers that were built by the army corps of engineers to slow down and control water flow in the river. If it is a calm day, you can usually see them by a current disturbance if you are paying attention. If there is any sort of chop on the water or if it is getting dark, they are next to impossible to spot.

Wow, I didn't even know Coralville has a MC dealer. I know Lake Delhi near Dubuqe has a couple dealers that sells inboards... Moomba and Correct Craft I think, but there could be more.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-03-2007, 8:40 AM Reply   
http://www.coralvillelakemarina.com/

Looks like they don't keep much in stock. it seems there are some dealers around here (or at least within a few hour drive). I need to contact the boat companies to find out how it all works.
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-03-2007, 9:20 AM Reply   
ha ha ya 1 MC instock.

Tige dealer in okoboji also a MC ealer there too

Maybe it has changed but it used to be all the kids with money spent their summers in okoboji/arnolds park.

I see so many more I/Os with towers prolly 20 to 1. I suppose they are much easier to sell less to floor etc.

BTW CC dealer in both DM and omaha but neither have much in stock or are very eager to answer questions/return phone calls

would you incorporate a board shop too? I feel there is a dire need for local shops.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-03-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
Yeah, I figure i'd have to do something like that as well. Probably wouldn't have trouble getting all the brands either as there are no shops around.
Old    bocephus            07-03-2007, 9:58 AM Reply   
Wingdams on the Mississippi are usually around the areas that have tributaries or backwater returns or major turns in the river. They help direct the water flow and keep the main channel open so the barges don't run up on the sand bars. They have all been pretty well mapped, but they can and will move pretty often. Around lock and dam 18 I know that there are two crews of four from the army reserves that move them back into place when they become dislodged.
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-05-2007, 5:47 AM Reply   
To those who know the river it is the best place to ride. Just south of the QC the river turns back south so very calm water can be found regardless of wind direction within a 30 min cruise. If you are not familiar with the river then I would strongly recommend going out with someone who does before just trying to figure things out. As far as inboards go, I bought my first boat in 2003 and there was only 2 other inboards out in my area. This season i've seen 6 more already. From what I understand, the area is part of Riverview marine's territory, I ran into a salesman in a new X-30 that was in the Buffalo area just trying to spark some interest. I've actually thought about starting a dealership as well, however, I don't think the area would support a full blown inboard only dealership yet. I think another couple of type of boats would be needed to do steady business. I remember 5 years ago nobody had even heard of wakeboarding in the area, in fact I used to get asked all the time why I had a "rollcage" on my boat and now it seems like half of the newer io's on the water are sporting factory or afermarket towers. I agree that it sucks to drive 3 hours to fox lake in Chicago to look at different boats or to find a pro shop but I must admit its fun to see the sport in it's infancy continue to grow every season. My goal in the next couple of years is to organize some kind of local rider's event and try and get some dealers to showcase their stuff and run demos to try and push the scene along. Oh by the way - I still have yet to see you Ian - pick a day bro!