Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (athrasher)      Join Date: May 2007       07-01-2007, 9:13 PM Reply   
I have an older Bayliner Capri...which is obviously not meant to be a wakeboarding boat, and doesn't put out a real clean wake. Besides fat sacs and loading up weight on the back how can I clean up the wake?

thanks!
Old    alanp            07-01-2007, 9:21 PM Reply   
dont just put weight in the back put some in the front too. also keep in mind that you may have to bump up the speed once you ad weight
Old    walt            07-01-2007, 9:25 PM Reply   
Try moving weight to the front and how fast are you going ?
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-01-2007, 9:59 PM Reply   
Play w/ the trim, i run my 87, 21' Four Winns at about 22 mph, & just a little trim. 400 lbs in the locker & 100 lbs on each side of the motor.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-02-2007, 6:34 AM Reply   
The Capri is going to be tough to get a clean wake out of, even just comparing to other I/Os. I'd ignore weight at first. The first thing I would do is get the best wake you can without weighting. Then weight and adjust as appropriate. That way you are dealing with fewer factors at any given time. And when you do start adding weight, I wouldn't put any weight in the back. The ski locker and bow are the best places to start adding weight in an I/O.

Just as an idea of what factors to consider, here is my setup on a 1990 Galaxy 190 with a Mercruiser 4.3L (hull identical to the 1990 SeaRay 190): I have a slight porpoising issue on less ideal water so I have a Stingray hydrofoil installed. Unwieghted with the foil, I trim up 1/4 from the bottom and run 19-21MPH according to the speedometer. Right there, the wake has a nice shape and no wash. Faster and the wake gets very small. Slower and it washes out. It really is that small a window between great I/O wake and crap. With 6 people in the boat and/or 600lbs of bow ballast, I increase speed to 20-24MPH to get the best wake. I think my speedo reads a bit higher than I'm actually going since I feel most comfortable riding at what reads as 24MPH.