Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-24-2007, 10:04 PM Reply   
I had never had a problem with my speakers until I drove in some really choppy water over memorial weekend, it was then that they started buzzing when the boat was running. I figured it was a ground on the amp and learned to ignore but after getting my NVS installed this week the buzzing has began on them aswell making it impossible to run the stereo while the engine is running. What should i be looking for? the battery ground? or the head unit?? Also should I just install a 2nd battery and would that eliminate the feedback in the speakers?
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-24-2007, 10:20 PM Reply   
Check your ground connection at the battery AND at the amp. Since it just started, it's more than likely one of the grounds.
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-24-2007, 10:23 PM Reply   
I was thinking it was just the amp, but it is buzzing on both amps the speakers and NVS, I checked out the battery ground and it looked ok, what should i be looking for?
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-26-2007, 12:15 AM Reply   
bump
i tried grounding the head unit with a second ground today and it didnt help am i looking at a hu problem or an amp problem?
Old     (loux2)      Join Date: May 2004       06-26-2007, 9:20 AM Reply   
Is it a Clarion head unit? My Clarion XMD3 did this. Had to replace it. If you have an extra head unit switch it and see what happens. Let us know how it works out.
Old     (jrbishop4)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-26-2007, 6:42 PM Reply   
I had the same problem and found that my rca wires were to close to the power wires ,and that was what caused my buzzing.
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-27-2007, 6:27 AM Reply   
Try a ground loop isolator. Radio shack has them for around $14.

I had that problem with one of my amps, it just so happens to be clarion.
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-27-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
Thanks guys Ive tried to look at the rcas and they dont appear to be near any power wires, i messed with the gains some to make it bearable to run the stereo while the engine is running, chaun ill check out that ground loop isolater. thanks
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-27-2007, 12:06 PM Reply   
My amps are diamond, my hu is clarion however, the second amps for the nvs is linked through my 1st amp and if i mess with the rcas on the main amp it will stop buzzing until i stop putting pressure on them. RCA problem? or amp ground or something the isolator could fix?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-27-2007, 12:12 PM Reply   
try replacing the rac's...it could also be a bad RCA plug ont eh amp? Did you buy the diamond amps online? If so, you could have gotten a b-stock or refurb amp, diamond doesnt' authorize online sales.

FYI....I've never heard a HLCD setup that didn't haev soem sort of buzzing thru it. You haev to listen very carefull but it's there in everything I've heard. I think it has to do with the way car audio amplifiers work with pro audio equipment that are capable of producing such high frequencies.
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-27-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
the hum in the nvs is there and im not concerned. The amps were installed in a shop and the buzzing just started a couple weeeks ago after being in some really rough chop im thinking i knocked something loose because i never had a problem before
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       06-28-2007, 11:31 AM Reply   
Mike,
my speakers were doing the same thing! I got another battery and wired it with the one that i already had. Haven't heard the Buzz since!!!! I just didn't have enough juice to push everything i guess but it worked
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-28-2007, 2:24 PM Reply   
hey mike what kind of nvs speakers you got? i havent seen a lot of nvs or wetsounds around here in az.
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-28-2007, 2:56 PM Reply   
Is your cellphone perhaps being stored right next to the head unit, amps, speaker cables, or RCA cables? GSM phones (AT&T, Cingular, t-mobile, etc.) have the bad tendency to introduce buzzing into sound systems.

That is, if its a buzzing sound speifically. Pops, crackles, and whines are a totally different story.
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-28-2007, 3:14 PM Reply   
Brandon I was thinking that adding the additional battery would help, did you just bridge the batteries or use the perko switch? Rodney I have the addictions I'm usually out at bartlett unless I'm at humbug.
Dirty d I don't think its a phone problem again if I tweak the rcas going into the amp the buzzing stops momentarily.
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       06-29-2007, 11:51 AM Reply   
Mike,
I just wired the batteries together Pos to pos and neg to neg. I have the boat hooked to one and all my amps and everything on another. Like i said the speakers use to buzz really loud but i added the 2nd battery over a month ago and haven't had it buzz since.
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-29-2007, 2:52 PM Reply   
Brandon that was how i was thinking of linking them, I tried the ground loop isolater today but no luck im taking it in to the stereo shop and hopefully they can help me out.
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       06-29-2007, 2:54 PM Reply   
Its your connection from the rcas to the amp. My guess is one of the connectors inside the amp is loose and when you put pressure on it you temporarily connect it fully.
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-29-2007, 8:53 PM Reply   
sean thats what i concluded too, I took my diamond 600.4 out today and im going to examine its insides this weekend, I think i overheated it or the rough water knocked it around.
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-03-2007, 12:02 PM Reply   
I took my diamond amp apart and the rca connectors in the amp where fine. So I changed out my rcas from the HU to the amps and no more buzzing I can finally enjoy my addictions. thanks for the help guys