Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (bennnnnn)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-01-2007, 8:03 PM Reply   
i just bought a 2006 mastercraft x-1 with 30 hrs on it and ive been having problems with it. whenever we go over any wake the front starts slapping like crazy and you have to slow way down. if you dont hold on when your sitting in the front of the boat when it starts slapping youll get thrown out. im wondering if anybody as any idea on y its doing it, if its supposed to be doing this, or how to fix it.
Old     (mhayes)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-01-2007, 8:17 PM Reply   
You going to have to elaborate a bit on exactly what "slapping" means? Are you saying that the front of the boat goes up and down quickly, as to slap the water? Makes no sense.

(Message edited by mhayes on July 01, 2007)
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-01-2007, 8:23 PM Reply   
sounds like it is a weight distribution issue, ie "porpoising"..

try running the center ballast or bow tank full all the time, we have to on the VLX otherwise it does this

(Message edited by wakeboardlasvegas on July 01, 2007)
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-01-2007, 11:58 PM Reply   
lasvegas has it right. Going across a wake just triggers the oscillation in porpoising.
The fix is to trim the bow down with a wake plate (trim tab), run at a slower speed, add bow weight or reduce rear weight, or sometimes make a short sharp turn just after you cross the wake.
The boat is running on the rear surface and when the bow touches it sucks down and goes lower than it should so it bounces up and goes too high. That starts the cycle again.
The trim tab lets you change the attitude of the hull and, I think, is really useful. The quick fix is sit someone extra in the bow.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-02-2007, 12:31 AM Reply   
I think the boat is defective. You should probably get rid of it. I will take it and try and fix it for you.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-02-2007, 5:46 AM Reply   
Are X-1's known for porpoising? That's certainly what it sounds like. On inboards, porpoising is usually caused by either too much weight in the rear or not enough weight up front. Art is correct that trim tabs will eliminate (or at least vastly reduce) the issue but you're better off playing with weight distribution first to try to get more weight up front before you go spending hundreds on tabs.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-02-2007, 6:33 AM Reply   
Ben,

Are you an experienced boater? I can't tell from your profile. No insult intended, but it sounds like you are just not crossing the wake correctly. Any boat will slap the water hard crossing rollers if they are not approached correctly. Can you give more details?

Jman
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-02-2007, 7:36 AM Reply   
Dante isn't "too much weight in the rear or not enough weight up front" the same thing?

Just yankin your chain...
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-02-2007, 8:15 AM Reply   
"Dante isn't "too much weight in the rear or not enough weight up front" the same thing?"

No, it's not. I realize you're just yanking my chain but now I have to go all discrete math on you. For them to be equivalent, in any given situation both adding weight to the front and removing weight from the rear would have to have the same effect given our context. There is at least one case where this is not true. In the event that the boat cannot safely hold any more weight, adding weight to the front would submerge the boat while removing weight from the rear would not. Since there is at least one situation in which the two do not behave the same given our context, they are not equivalent.
Old     (bennnnnn)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-02-2007, 8:27 AM Reply   
yeah the front of the boat goes up and down quickly
Old     (bennnnnn)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-02-2007, 8:46 AM Reply   
Thank you for all the input.

The original post is from my son.

The conditions are:
rear tanks empty.
38mph and above starts the porpoising.
0-2 people in bow of the boat. no change.
no ballast in from of boat.

I talked to a dealer and was told we may have to add some hook to the rear of the boat.

Any more input would be appreciated.
Old     (bennnnnn)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-02-2007, 8:48 AM Reply   
oops

no ballast in front of the boat.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-02-2007, 9:42 AM Reply   
38mph is pretty damn fast to be going across a choppy lake in a ski boat.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-02-2007, 9:47 AM Reply   
I had the same problem with my old xstar. Even on smooth water if you were going fast, it would start to porpose. I would just get off the throttle real fast, and punch it back up to speed to get it out of rythem(sp?). That usually took care of it.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-02-2007, 9:48 AM Reply   
hahahah... 38mph in a ski boat in choppy conditions...

There are a few easy fixes for that...

Trade it in for 5 Bayliners... then adjust the trim and cruise in a choppy lake to your desire.

Or trade it in for 3 Larsons... then do as above.

Or trade it in for 1 Cobalt.. then same as above.

Or... just learn how to drive a nice tournament boat...

There are many options and solutions to your problem.

Best of luck!
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-02-2007, 10:25 AM Reply   
Ben,

Driving in rough water conditions takes patience and practice. V-drives and direct drives do not handle chop very well as their hulls were designed for smooth water. 25 MPH and above in almost any kind of chop is going to be a rough ride. Slow down. Even then, it will still require experience and skill to keep the hull, as well as your bones, from taking a pounding.

Hope this helps,
Jman
Old     (lotoftime)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-02-2007, 6:45 PM Reply   
We can run our boat at any speed in any kind of conditions. (Tige 22ve) Sounds like our old runabout we had to put one of those whale tales on it. Can you put one of those on that Mastercraft?
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-02-2007, 7:26 PM Reply   
bob, you have griped about the supra (and their customer service) in the other thread and now the new x1. i guess we should all sell our boats and buy a tige. which i think are nice

crap i guessed we all spent money, hmmm not well spent.

in all, how much do you even know about inboards? i can admit i suck when it comes to stereos, but i can tell you about "almost" anything about ddrives and vdrives....

if you don't have a valid helpfull post then don't post at all..
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-02-2007, 7:27 PM Reply   
I demoed an 06 22ve but the TAPS trim tab wasn't working. It had a pretty roller coaster ride when it went over 30 MPH. Maybe your trim tab works.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-02-2007, 7:33 PM Reply   
Insuranceman-The same should go for you then as well. And where did he gripe about the X-1?????
He only referred to the Mastercraft with a question so chill.
Old     (lotoftime)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-02-2007, 7:38 PM Reply   
I don't know why you are so upset with me.
I have not attacked you in anyway.
Nor do I intend to, I was just joking about the whale tail, im sure Ben will work it out. Master crafts quality speaks for itself.

As far as the other post, the young lady with the SC is getting to short end of the stick.

You have to remember we are talking about a boat company that is building the very bottom entry level product in the first place and then to deny that the issues she's having is not their fault is a disgrace.

But all of that said I never made one comment that was ment to attack or offend you. And if you took it that way I am sorry.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-02-2007, 7:59 PM Reply   
tyler, i guess you didn't read his post very well. go back and read his gripe against supra and their customer service.

bob, hate to tell you that skier's choice does not build the bottom entry boat . you are allowing your self to say "my boat is better than your boat" if you go thru the entire "that" thread, i said i have seen many boats, cc, bu's, mc's and yes along with sc's boats with gelcoat cracks.. it's most of the time how you treat your ride.

ask a few people familier with table rock lake in mo, and they will tell you there are a few tige's at the bottom of the lake.

not trying to be a jack arse, but if you don't have anything helpfull to the issue, leave off.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-02-2007, 8:07 PM Reply   
Insuranceman-Please tell me what I didn't read correctly!!!!! We're in this thread not the supra thread!!! If you feel like bitchin at him do it over there where his remark burned you. Once again what did you just add to the thread that was useful???????
Old     (lotoftime)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-02-2007, 8:08 PM Reply   
Im am sorry you are so upset, maybe you should just relax a little. And as far as the entry level boats maybe I should have not made that comment, but the SC or Moombas as they are called here are the least costly inboard boat that can be purchased in this market.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-02-2007, 8:08 PM Reply   
bob, sorry i need to state they were old tige(pre 2000's). the new ones are vey nice.

ps, put some weight in the front and tht should help his issue on the x1.

(Message edited by insuranceman on July 02, 2007)
Old     (ronskal)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-02-2007, 8:53 PM Reply   
I have the same boat. It can porpoise if you get going above 35 or so with no weight up front and the right conditions.

Put an anchor in the front and fill your center ballast tank, whatever you can to put weight up front. This will also help make your wake rampier/less ubrupt which I found helpful when learning to wakeboard (if you are). It will also improve your ski wake if that's important.

Oh and do not cruise above 30 MPH, she's not propped for speed. Too hard on the engine (revs).
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-03-2007, 4:55 AM Reply   
Bob said:
"We can run our boat at any speed in any kind of conditions. (Tige 22ve)"

Bob,
I don't know you, but I cry BS. Now, my friend can almost run any speed in any condition, but he has a 36 foot Cigarette. Your boat may handle rough water better than some, but you would be airborne in a few seconds trying to run 40 MPH in the main channel where I boat. Wait a minute, maybe I have seen you out there.

Ben came on here asking for help. I tried to give him some, based on the information he provided. However, you come on here with the "my boat is better than your boat" crap that infects so many threads on this site. These arguments are just childish. Any adult knows that when someone puts down someone else (or their stuff), they are just trying to make themselves feel better. I may have misread the Ben's problem, but it sounded to me like he was simply trying to go too fast for the conditions. If I was wrong, maybe he needs to adjust his weight distribution. What he doesn't need is some of the other comments in this thread.

Sorry for the rant, but I just got off the phone with the x-wife, and that would make any man snappy.

Jman
Old     (lotoftime)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-03-2007, 5:05 AM Reply   
Jman,
Your profile shows the real reason behind your rant..

I am sorry I did not mean to offend you in anyway.

I never said my boat was better than any other, just that I can run our boat at top speed (only 50mph) in any condition I have ran into. But we only put 200 hours a year on our boat.

And yes if Ben moves some weight around in his boat it should plane out, but if his boat had a trim tab that could be done by flicking a switch.

Jman why are you badmouthing your wife?
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-03-2007, 5:56 AM Reply   
Bravo!!! I knew this thread would head south quick....great entertainment for work
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-03-2007, 6:32 AM Reply   
Bob,

There are a lot of different reasons why people buy the brands that they do. I know precisely why I bought the boat that I have and I will not engage with you regarding it.

You did not offend me, so there is no need to apologize. As I stated above, it is just irritating for every post to turn into a brand bashing war. It's like reading a blog, where no matter the subject matter, it somehow always turns into a political debate.

You said that no water was too rough for your Tige to run flat out, but compared Ben's 2006 Mastercraft to "your old runabout".

You could have offered this solution to begin with.

She is my x-wife, Bob.

That's all I have for you, Bob.

Sorry for the hijack of your thread, Ben. I hope you find the solution to the problem, whatever the cause.

Jman
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-03-2007, 7:08 AM Reply   
"Jman,
Your profile shows the real reason behind your rant.. "

That was uncalled for and childish. You need to be banned.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-03-2007, 7:48 AM Reply   
Paul,

What it was was incorrect.

Jman
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-03-2007, 9:53 AM Reply   
Say ben, if you're still there. Isn't this fun. You ask an innocent question for help. Get a few different solutions and then watch your questions evolve through the wonderful community of the forum.
Over time you can get a great deal of entertainment from these magic morphs. You also find that WakeWorld is a wealth of really useful info. Enjoy.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-03-2007, 9:59 AM Reply   
cat fight.