Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-02-2007, 1:14 PM Reply   
whats up guys, so i have been deciding what truck to buy for about the past 4 or 5 months here, and i have narrowed it down to 3. 2007 silverado z-71, 2007 f-150 fx4, 2007 dodge ram "big horn" w/ hemi.

all of the trucks are really nice, and i dont have anything "bad" to say about either of them as well, i am planning on leasing the vehicle, but just cannot decide what would be best to purchase..

my main hot spots are obviously gas mileage, which i have heard the newer chevys are doing quite well, my second would be towing, and my third would be the overall look of the truck and what is best for my dollar...question is..what are you guys using to pull??? which of these three would you recommened to a first time truck buyer? any opinions/thoughts would be great..thanks dudes
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-02-2007, 1:19 PM Reply   
I've heard the same of the new chevys. I'm a chevy owner myself, I like the chevys interior layout more than the other 2 but it probably comes down to personal preference. There are people who will say chevy or ford because thats the way they were raised.
Your response will depend on how many chevy/ford/dodge owners read this post. A hard core chevy guy will make a thousand points as to why chevy is better but I say if you have done your research and power wise they are comparable then get what appeals to you more. Good luck and enjoy.
Old    bocephus            07-02-2007, 1:24 PM Reply   
Well I would personally get the Ford, but I would gladly drive all three. But lets be real, this is wakeworld; let's get it over with right from the beginning....

Have you looked at the Nissan Titan? It's freakin' awesome, it will leap small buildings with a single bound, it will park itself with the help of a driver, it will even drive directly to nearest gas station...And it's made in the USA, errr...assembled in the USA...

FX4 is awesome!

BTW, you should probably go get an Epic, I heard they are the best wakeboarding boat in the industry!
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-02-2007, 1:36 PM Reply   
For gas mileage and pulling go with the Chevy.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-02-2007, 1:39 PM Reply   
I have the ram and I love it! i just got back from a little wakeboarding camping trip and the truck did a great job.. I think bang for the buck you cant beat them. I think the new chevy trucks are really nice and interior is really nice but features for features the price of the dodge outways the chevy. I also didnt like rear fenders of the chevy. The only reason I wouldnt get the ford is that they are going to change the body style of the F150 and if you were going to get a 07 your going to have an older bodystyle, but they are nice trucks with great interiors and look really good lifted.
Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       07-02-2007, 1:39 PM Reply   
I would say look at the new Tundra. It is awesome. I would personally shy away from the newer F-150's and I am a ford guy. The new ones are just so damn heavy that they suck down the gas. I also don't think that the ride is all that great in the newer 150's. Of the three that you listed my pick would be the Dodge, but take a serious look at the new Tundra's. just my two cents
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-02-2007, 1:40 PM Reply   
What engine does the Chevy have?
Old     (crazyeye)      Join Date: May 2007       07-02-2007, 1:47 PM Reply   
I just test drove the new Tundra. It's an awesome truck. Has so much power. It is huge however! It feels very wide and tall. I hope they put that V8 in the new Sequoia.

I used to own a 2000 Chevy Z71. I loved that truck. If the Tundra is not one of your options my vote would be for the Chevy.
Old    bocephus            07-02-2007, 1:48 PM Reply   
Crap, I forget the Toyota. Who else makes a pick up that you didn't ask for comments on, let me see...Don't forget the Nissan again, I hear Freightliner makes a great truck, Honda makes a truck thingy that you might want to consider, then you have the GMC, and boy I can't think of any others but I'm sure there are some. Oh, ya, Studebaker is toying around with a crew cab truck and you might want to hold out for it, man I would hate to be in your shoes...

You really should consider an Epic though, they are awesome!

(Message edited by bocephus on July 02, 2007)
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-02-2007, 1:51 PM Reply   
Only thing I would recommend would be to not lease the thing whichever you decide on.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-02-2007, 2:33 PM Reply   
Gas mileage & towing = diesel. Plus, fuel cost is less.

I am sure there is a break down as to where you get even and maybe it takes too long?

Long story short, I just moved to diesel for the first time and will never own a gas truck again. Night and day. Then again, towing in Utah is serious business....not sure about your location.

How much difference is there in the final price between a gas and diesel?

In the end, Chevy, Ford, Dodge is the same as MC, Malibu, Correct Craft....there is no "right" answer. It is what you like.....they all do the job.
Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-02-2007, 2:36 PM Reply   
2 Words......

NISSAN TITAN!!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-02-2007, 3:07 PM Reply   
5 words - He didn't ask about them.
Old     (truckguy89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-02-2007, 3:13 PM Reply   
Ford Fx4 Ive got an 05 and love it.It tows better than any Chevy Ive ever had . I traded in an 04 chevy 1500 }heavy duty and my Ford destroys it in the towing concept of it.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-02-2007, 3:15 PM Reply   
Which rig comes in your favorite color? Buy that one!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-02-2007, 3:25 PM Reply   
Really Adam, I've heard the opposite that they are really anemic towing. Please describe I've never towed with an F150.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-02-2007, 3:26 PM Reply   
chevy!! end of dicussion :-)
Old     (truckguy89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-02-2007, 3:42 PM Reply   
The F-150 has the guts to get up to speed getting on the highway and to keep up with traffic on all streets. I Tow a 32 ft enclosed race car trailer, loaded with 4 wheeler and race car, Also tow a 23 ft chapparall. Mine is the Fx4 and it doesnt squat hardly at all. As opposed to the Chevys ive had which tuck really bad when weighted. Its just my opinion but i used to be a hard core chevy guy til i tried out the new Ford.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-02-2007, 3:46 PM Reply   
thanks for all the info guys, i really like the chevy truck, i am coming from an 01 s10 z-r2, and it just doesnt have near the power of what i am looking for, nor the spaciousness. the silverado i am looking at has the 5.3 in it, which should be plenty, i wont be doing many long distance road trips or anything, just your normal 30-45 min drive to the lake. plus, i've got a 25 minute drive to work every morning from where i live, so thats why gas is at the top of the list...i think i will end up getting the silverado, but wanted to get everyone opinions first..again thanks for the help..it really did help my decision...whadya think????
Upload
Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-02-2007, 4:05 PM Reply   
Chevy all the way.
For the last 2 years we've been towing with our 04 Crew Cab Z71 with 5.3. Been trouble free and tows well.
Old     (lotoftime)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-02-2007, 4:10 PM Reply   
Something to think about...
The Avalanche has a locking bed (tailgate) keep those boards and bindings safe.
If you don't haul stuff in the bed alot, it rocks. If you use the bed for work and such the bed cover can be a pain.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-02-2007, 6:08 PM Reply   
between friends and family....we have all three brands

got to say
the Ford has held together the best
but my Dodge has done almost as well...the Hemi is great....but I have been eyeing the deisels
.....and the new Dodge megacab....wow
I wish it was around when I bought my '03

but

the Chevy truck....and the past 2 that my friends have had....just don't age well

it's almost as if they were mass produced so fast...they just weren't built well
..it's not really in the mechanics of it....more in the cosmetics
door panels
console
it just seems cheap after a couple of years

so....all seemingly being equal.... I would consider a GMC over a chevy....along with any other brand
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-02-2007, 6:46 PM Reply   
Nissan Titan is not a real truck. My buddy had a chevy, and a ford previously to buying a titan. He farms and the titan just falls apart when put to real use. Titans look sweet, but are definetely a city/sissy boys truck. Chevy held up best.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-02-2007, 6:51 PM Reply   
Wakeitup- Exactly!!!! That is what happens after years and years of truck making. Nissan has nowhere near the same level of experience in this department.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-02-2007, 6:52 PM Reply   
How much does your boat and trailer weigh? Something that I just discovered from someone over on Tige owners is that all of the 1/2 ton trucks have a 5,000 lb rated hitch (Class III). I just assumed that since the truck was rated to tow 7,000 that the hitch it came with was rated at such. I have a Tige RZ2 and boat (with full fuel) and trailer are probably pushing 5,500+ lbs. Might want to look at a 3/4 ton Chevy (if that's what you like) with the 6.0L (or diesel) and the 6 speed tranny. That 6 speed with the 6.0L should keep up with a Tundra if you get the 4.10 gears, IMO.

All of the trucks you mentioned are probably great trucks! Good luck!
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-02-2007, 7:09 PM Reply   
The 6.0l with the 6speed would bury the tundra. IMO of course
Old    walt            07-02-2007, 7:19 PM Reply   
I own a 05 FX4 and here are my pro's and cons.

Gas mileage could be better.

I don't like the plastic grill but I think they are all like that these days.

I wouldn't say it's under powered but it could use more IMO. I think the 5.4 lost some bottom end power when they went to the 3 valve set up. It gets it on when you wind it up but I'd rather have the power on the low end where you need it. My 02 FX4 seemed like it had more power down low.

I drive a VERY bumpy 12 mile long dirt road every weekend to get to my lake and the newer 4X4 F-150's are hands down the best rough road truck I've driven. I think the out board shocks make a big difference. After a couple of years of getting the crap beat out of it on the road to butter the truck has zero rattles/squeaks. Actually I took it in once because the ash tray rattled and Ford fixed it. My wife's 05 Pathfinder has not faired as well on the road to butter. It squeaks and rattles and has a few random plastic parts fly off from the same road and half as many trips.

It's also very very quiet in the cab.

I'm not sure about 07/08 trucks but in 05 the Ford seemed to have the most solid feel to it too as far as the doors and tail gate.

One of the biggest reasons I sold my 02 and picked up the 05 was because of it's excellent head on crash rating. After seeing the way the older body style folds up like a taco in a head on collision I never felt safe in the 02 again.

Just another day at the lake.
Upload
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-02-2007, 8:13 PM Reply   
I've sold them all and like them all but would and did go with the F 150. Excellent fit and finish will tow any wakeboard boat no sweat and I personally like the look of them better than the other 2. There is a reason it's been the number one selling truck for 30 straight years.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-02-2007, 8:34 PM Reply   
I pull my 210 with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Z-71 4 Door since last October. My buddy runs a Chevy dealership so I had one of the first ones to hit the road. Excellent gas mileage, plenty of power, best looking by far IMO, not to mention the best warranty of any truck.

Forget the Dodge and Ford. Neither hold their value against the Chevy. Look at used trucks in all models. The numbers don't lie.

I agree with the other guys though. Buy, don't lease.http://www.aarondenny.net/images/new210/rig03.jpg
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       07-02-2007, 9:58 PM Reply   
I bought an 07 GMC recently and looked at all of the trucks mentioned above. Fuel mileage was at the top of my list as well and I'm not disappointed. On the highway I'm getting 19.5-20.0. My 2 mile commute to work gets me around 17.0-17.5. Towing I'm around 11.5-12.0...but haven't done a serious check on the towing mileage yet. Look under the hood of the GMC/Chevy and then look under the hood of the Ford..big difference. I've always owned Fords until now, but the F-150 was lacking in MPG for me. The other thing I noticed was the comfort of the rear/front seats of the Ford/Dodge/GMC....GMC won this hands down. My understanding was the maintenance of the Dodge required a little more work (plugs at 30K...16 of them). I did not look at the Dodge Mega Cab. I'm happy with the decision I made, but you need to buy the truck that's right for you.
Old     (abhoe157)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-02-2007, 10:30 PM Reply   
2007 z71
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-03-2007, 8:28 AM Reply   
Don't underestimate the 2007 Tundra 5.7L. I have it and can say it is all that it is hyped up to be and then some. At least give it a test ride.

And...I wouldn't lease either. It just doesn't add up in the end.
Old     (sharkb8)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-03-2007, 8:46 AM Reply   
Just went through this exercise last week. Looked at, and test drove, all the trucks mentioned above, ended up with 2007 (new body style) Chevy CC 4x4 with the Duramax/Allison combo. This truck is great, tows like a dream, rides better than all the others unloaded, payload capacity is good, and quiet on the inside. Chevy did a really good job on the new interior, and the fit and finish is miles ahead of where they used to be. I had a lemon Suburban, so I was really jaded against going with Chevy again, but it really won me out with the overall package. Good luck.