Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       07-02-2007, 8:41 AM Reply   
I have a 1996 dodge ram 1500 2 wheel drive with a 5.2l in it. It tows great in the city and on small grades. But this weekend I went over the pass here that has a very large grade. I could not do more the 35-40 mph. The only way it would accelerate is if it was in first gear. And the temp just went to the roof.

I am thinking of adding a cold air intake, larger throttle body, and upgrade the exhaust.

I would like to know what others have done to improve there towing????

Thanks
Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-02-2007, 8:46 AM Reply   
You could always put a turbo or supercharger on it, that would help.
Old    bocephus            07-02-2007, 9:30 AM Reply   
STS is the only way to go!!
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       07-02-2007, 9:45 AM Reply   
I was hoping for something a little less expensive.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-02-2007, 9:45 AM Reply   
Bocephus are you recieving marketing incentives? Seriously though do you have a hookup on these? Have you installed one on your rig, how do you like it?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-02-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
NO offense but there isn't much you can do to that engine, it's a dog, without shelling out some serious cash. A cold air intake isn't going to show a difference towing up any grade.
Old    bocephus            07-02-2007, 10:04 AM Reply   

quote:

By nu bu (05mobiuslsv) on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 9:46 am:

NO offense but there isn't much you can do to that engine, it's a dog, without shelling out some serious cash. A cold air intake isn't going to show a difference towing up any grade.

Are you kidding? The 318 can be a great engine! In stock form they should go to at least 300K. You can build an awesome 318 if you want to.

quote:

Bocephus are you recieving marketing incentives? Seriously though do you have a hookup on these? Have you installed one on your rig, how do you like it?

No, I have not yet installed one yet, but I plan to. I just had the transmission in my Tahoe built to handle it and the STS kit comes next. I have seen several at the tract and at Arizona Speed and Marine. ASM might have their own kit coming out soon which will be much cheaper, but you have to fab your own exhaust and return lines.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-02-2007, 10:08 AM Reply   
318 can be yes, but like I said you have to put some money into it to address the lack of power issue with it.

Look forward to hearing about the turbo when you get it done. I've always wanted to do a turbo, love the spooling sound.
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       07-02-2007, 12:06 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info guys. But If i am going to drop 4 g's into the truck I will just trade it in for something better.

I won't go over the pass more then 5 times this year so I may wait until next year and just upgrade to bigger truck.