Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-30-2007, 8:04 PM Reply   
Ok, so I did a search on dual batteries and have read so many posts, my eyes hurt and I'm more confused than I was before the search! I have a single Optima Blue Top and would like to add another Optima, but dont know what kind I would need. I bought a Perko switch where you can select off, 1, 2, or both. I would like to have the extra battery so I don't get stranded, but from what I read, if I don't do this right, I'll kill my alternator. I would like to keep it simple, but I don't know where to start! I found this during a search, http://www.yandina.com/c100Info.htm Do I need one of these?Help a brotha out...Thanks in advance.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-30-2007, 8:18 PM Reply   
Ryan, I am still kind of confused, but I will let you know the basic concept. With the perko switch, you can run one battery on the stereo, and the other with the boat. While the boat battery is charging, the stereo battery is getting drained. When the stereo battery drains, you can switch to it and charge it back up. The only problem is that you will still need some type of onboard charger to keep the batteries fully charged after you are done. The alternator will not fully recharge the batteries.
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-02-2007, 8:17 AM Reply   
Ryan, the typical 'best practice' is to buy 2 identical batteries to avoid charging issues. If your blue top is relatively new, just snag another one and you'll be good to go.