Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-25-2007, 6:45 AM Reply   
Maybe 4 times a year I would be towing at the maximum tow weight of the vehicle. Does Anyone have any experience with loading the new Tundra to the max tow weight? How did it perform?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-25-2007, 7:20 AM Reply   
I think most half tons are towing at or above tow capacity. What is the capacity, and what does your boat weight?
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-25-2007, 8:31 AM Reply   
With trailer, boat, fuel and misc I'm right on the bubble about 10,000#.

The boat usually stays in the back yard but once or twice a year I will make a three hour trip with her. The other times I'll pull it for maintenance but its only one mile. My towing is in Florida so the only hills I climb are over passes.

My other option is a diesel but I like the crewmax and prefer a 1/2 ton for general use and it more than sufficient for occasionally pulling the ski boat which also spends most of its time on a lift.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-25-2007, 8:35 AM Reply   
Are you sure your Sunsetter weights 10,000 pounds? Our X-star doesn't weight that much.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       06-25-2007, 8:35 AM Reply   
I think the Tundra is experiencing some engine failures (broken cams) on the big motor, so you might want to see how that plays out.

EDIT: Here's an article.

(Message edited by P-hat in Cincy on June 25, 2007)
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-25-2007, 8:41 AM Reply   
By the way, I agree that many 1/2 tons are at capacity. It doesn't take much with trailer, gear and people to get to the limit. However, I'm also sure the manufacturer has some factor of safety built in. If you don't drive like a hammer your probably ok.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-25-2007, 8:51 AM Reply   
No the Sunsetter is not 10,000# but a 31' Intrepid hits the scales at near max if I drop the 260 gallons of fuel.

I am aware of the problems but I make it a point not to buy 1st year models. I'll wait for the 08's and feel toyota will create a very reliable product.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-25-2007, 9:49 AM Reply   
Tim, I think that many manufacturers claim pretty high tow capacity and yes the vehicle will pull it. But safety is another issue. Once the load approaches the vehicle's weight, that's when you may start having issues with handling and getting thrown around. I would say though if all you are doing is pulling in Florida, those few trips would be OK as long as you take your time, drive safely, and wait to add another 1000 lbs in fuel until you are at the lake. It's really your call. maybe consider a 3/4 ton with the big gas engine, but that might not be suitable for everyday driving. Some of those HD pickups have engine braking etc, which helps control the load.

I just read an article about people renting Uhauls, overloading their vehicles, and getting into bad situations with the trailer fishtailing and eventually rolling on long downhills. Obviously that is not your worry as you are only driving on flats. It did make me think I made a good decision by buying way too much truck to haul around a ski boat, but I have to drive mountain passes to the lakes and I enjoy the piece of mind.

On our first trip this year, we were heading down the grapevine (6% grade I think) and traffic stopped, there was a pickup on its side with the trailer hitch half ripped off. A couple hundred yards later there was their 30 foot toy hauler on it's side. I later found out that an 18 wheeler jackknifed, causing them to have to do the same to slow down, they flipped and very luckily walked away and did not break through the guardrail and down a very steep enbankment. I have slowed way way down on that pass, and any others.

Not trying to scare anyone, but i hope people think about how to safely tow and know what their vehicles are capable of. Tow ratings can be generous, and that certainly does not mean that you can haul your vehicle's max at highway speeds and expect to do it safely.

I did see a new Tundra the other day, they look pretty burley. I do believe in the 3/4 tons with oversized engines/trannies/brakes and tow haul modes though, they really are a pleasure when towing, but you gotta tow alot to make them worth while.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-25-2007, 11:24 AM Reply   
I have pulled 13,000 with a diesel GMC and the problem was not towing it was stopping. The 1/2 or 3/4 ton the vehicle is still about the same weight so you need to have some knowledge and skill on what your doing.

The trailer had brakes on two axles but not on the third. I think brakes on all axles would have increased control.

Maybe someone is out there who has maxed out their tundra tow capacity and would like to offer an opinion of it's performance.

(Message edited by srock on June 25, 2007)
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-25-2007, 11:36 AM Reply   
Let me throw this question out there. I may have to resort to driving a 2002 envoy pulling my 86 supra closed bow. I am going from Ohio to Dale Hollow Lake its about 8 hours and I will have some hills to navigate through. This is my last option but If I am faced with it will I be ok to pull with it?
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-25-2007, 11:48 AM Reply   
Snippy your fine. Enjoy the trip.

Has anyone maxed out their Tundra and care to write a review on its performance? Would love to hear from you.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-25-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
I have the new Tundra and towed my boat with 800lbs of lead and all my gear in the bed. It was pretty low in the back. Regardless it did just fine stopping and going. Actually it did great! And I was getting 13 mpg too.

Granted it was not the maximum load but it wasn't nothing either.

As for the cam issue, I believe that that was an isolated incident or a collection of incidents based off a bad lot of parts.

This is my second Tundra. The first one was the first year they came out too. I had no issues at all with that truck. In fact I would have kept it but couldn't resist the new power plant and gear box.

Good luck what ever you chose. In my opinion you cant go wrong with this vehicle. They still have 0% financing for 5 years too. If you're thinking about one you should decide soon. They are hard to find in particular setups and the 0% deal only lasts until the 9th of July.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-28-2007, 11:21 AM Reply   
Here is a link to answer your question.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/102648-2007-tundra-pulling-10000lb-toyhauler/
Old     (malibupilot)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-28-2007, 3:48 PM Reply   
Tundra motor is solid. The cam thing was from a supplier having a bad batch of product. From what I heard, Toyota took care of it by air freighting entire new motors for the customers!

I also heard that the problem was limited to less than 20 motors and is resolved.

Leave it to Toyota to step up and fix an issue... good service.

I will be getting a Sequoia when they start putting those big motors in them.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-29-2007, 6:23 AM Reply   
Any word on a sequoia release date or what the vehicle will look like?