Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (lotoftime)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-28-2007, 4:48 AM Reply   
I am looking for a pump to fill and drain three bags on our boat. I am going to conect it to the raw water intake (fill and drain) and then route it into a manifold with ball valves for filling and draining.
Anyone know what pumps I should try first?
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-28-2007, 8:16 AM Reply   
If you want a ballast pump that can fill and drain through the same line then you need to look at the Simer or Jabsco ballast puppy pumps. These pumps use a internal impeller and are self priming and reversible. The Simer pumps are quite a bit less expensive but they are not ignition protected like the Jabsco pumps. I chose the Jabsco pumps after much debate and I am pretty happy with them but I am in the process of currently installing my ballast system right now. There is a great article on this website which provides some pretty good information to at least get you started on your ballast system. Good luck.

http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/2001/BallastSystem2.asp
Old     (lotoftime)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-28-2007, 12:35 PM Reply   
Where can I purchase these pumps?
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-28-2007, 3:08 PM Reply   
You can get them at various locations. Do a google search on Jabsco Ballast Puppys but they do run around $190 per pump. They have them at West Marine so you can find them cheap online and have them do a price match on the online price. I bought my setup off a guy on Ebay and his kit included everything that I need for the entire ballast system. If you want to PM me then I can give you his contact information. I am putting my kit in my 2000 SAN right now and for the price it can't be beat. I think the entire kit cost me less then $600 for two pumps plus it included all the fittings, divertors, etc. that will fill/empty all four sacs that I have in less then 8 minutes. If you want a single kit then just T into your raw water intake and then run the water to the pump and you are good to go. I decided to drill two 3/4 " intake holes into my hull and I am running a seperate line to each pump to speed up the fill/empty time. I was a little scared to use my raw water intake since I want to fill while underway and I was worried that the ballast system could take enough water away from the engine as to have negative impact on my boat. A lot of people do this however and just keep an eye on their temp gauge to make sure they do not have any worries.
Old     (twowakes)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-28-2007, 5:10 PM Reply   
Check out WWW.Make-a-wake.com