Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-29-2008, 7:31 AM Reply   
How are you guys attaching this FRP to your kicker? The stuff we have is .09 inches thick. Seems to me like it would be very hard to countersink a screw into those so there arent any heads sticking out to gash your board. Also, this stuff is super flemsy. I dont want to have stringers running across every 8 inches, but if I dont then the gap will be to big and I dont think the FRP will have any strenght. Is there something you guys are putting under it to add some rigidity? Like temperboard or something? Im just not too sure how that would hold up in the water.

Thanks
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-29-2008, 8:06 AM Reply   
I built a kicker using FRP and just glued it to the plywood surface. Use something like Liquid Nails and use a lot of it. You aren't just trying to use FRP without plywood underneath are you?
Old     (fbmuline)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-29-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   
we liquid nailed it down then put screws all over to hold it down then once it was dry removed all the screws so they would not catch the boards. worked great...
Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-29-2008, 12:40 PM Reply   
The kicker isnt linear. So the plywood wont conform to the transition. So Was curious what you guys did to solve it
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-29-2008, 12:45 PM Reply   
my Kicker isn't linear either and I was able to get the plywood to conform to the curve. You don't need thick plywood as long as you have a few stringers. I'll try to get a pic of mine loaded up once I get home tonight and post it. It also helps if you wet the plywood down first to help it bend before screwing it down to the 2 by's.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-29-2008, 1:09 PM Reply   
we just screwed it down and left the screws in it. we check it pretty often to make sure none of them are popped.
Old     (johnm_ttu)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-29-2008, 1:11 PM Reply   
My experience with FRP and liquid nails has not been that great. I think you would be better off spending the money for HDPE.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-29-2008, 1:44 PM Reply   
The FRP base works great though once you can get it to stick. Just make sure you put the texture side up. It reduces the surface area of the kicker and your board base, plus it is cheap at Lowes or Home Depot.
Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-29-2008, 4:09 PM Reply   
Are you using 1/4 inch plywood or what? Also, do yall paint all wooden surfaces to protect from sun and water, leave it dry, or put some other sort of protective coating on it? I know that the water taking a toll on it is inevitable. Just wanna get us much longevity out of it as possible