Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old    reastwood79            03-03-2006, 7:35 PM Reply   
Which wake does everyone prefer the Super Air Nautique 210 or the Malibu LSV23 or the Malibu VLX and why?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-03-2006, 7:37 PM Reply   
i prefer a malibu wake but a SAN wake is fun once in a while

Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-03-2006, 7:58 PM Reply   
7 out of 10 people will tell you they prefer the 210 wake, but who cares, it's what you like...if you are indeed shopping for a boat. didn't you go down this road before? may i suggest upping your post count a little before trying to start a boat war.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/286764.html?1140982336

may i suggest upping your post count a little before trying to start a boat war.

(Message edited by JcV on March 03, 2006)
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-04-2006, 8:29 AM Reply   
don't go there, please search the forum. There is a ton of info on both of these boats on this site.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-04-2006, 4:38 PM Reply   
I prefer them all. They are all unique and awesome. It really depends on your ride style. I'll say this(with fear of getting called out), but I believe the Malibu's are more adjustable on the fly. If you want a pro wake all will require a fair amount of ballast on top of factory ballast and wedge.

Good luck, they are all great boats. You need to get out and try them all and see what suits YOUR family best. <---Most common statement on WW.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-04-2006, 5:02 PM Reply   
for maximum carnage and sicko air, get a dinghy with a hydrofoilage.
Old     (denjoe)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-07-2006, 9:56 PM Reply   
I would recommend that you create a pro's and con's list about both boats.

I have a Malibu but have been in the Nautique. There are a ton of Pro's about both and very little Con's about both.

Good Luck!
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-07-2006, 10:02 PM Reply   
it all depends on what you want? So what do you want??? besides the flame war that is sure to follow?
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       03-07-2006, 10:38 PM Reply   
Both are sick boat manufactures, either one you will be happy with. Those are my top two boats. I have a Malibu, but I really like the correct craft as well.

Brannon
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-08-2006, 12:32 AM Reply   
Its, all depends on how your going to spend your days on the water. The 210 throws a killer wake but there is little room in it and storage is slim. 5 adults in a 210 gets crowed. Now if you want storage lots of passanger room the Malibu is what your looking for. So if its pure riding with 3 people all the time 210, but if you like to have like 6 people in the boat go with the Malibu. Also the 210 will burn less fule. Once the wedge is dropped on the Malibu it starts to suck up the fuel. These are what I see first hand I have a SAN 2001 and my friend has the Malibu VLX.

(Message edited by twakess on March 08, 2006)

(Message edited by twakess on March 08, 2006)
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-08-2006, 8:21 AM Reply   
I will take the vlx wake over the 210 any day.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-08-2006, 1:29 PM Reply   
On the other hand, took a 210 over a VLX one day a few years back.....

I think Squid makes very good points. In the end, they are all great boats. Both Malibu boats are going to be MUCH bigger.

My final decision came down to dealer. Would have been happy with a VLX, X2(at the time) or the SAN. I had a previous relationship with the dealer as he sold me my previous boat and then ended up selling it for me when I purchased my SAN. I am 100% happy with my decision and do not have boat envy.

In conclusion, a good argument can be made for any of the three. I do not think you would be disappointed with any of them, unless you are regularly going out all day with 5-6 people...then the 210 may start to feel a bit small.
Old     (fixin2wakeboard)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-08-2006, 1:46 PM Reply   
Thanks to everyone who takes the time to educate us newbies out here!

Do the comparisons between these two boats apply to the older models? I am looking at a 99' SAN now...
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-08-2006, 2:47 PM Reply   
The '99 SS/SAN is smaller inside than the '02+. Same great hull, just less interior room.

The older VLX is a totally different boat(someone correct me if this is incorrect). I am not sure what hull changes they have made through the years. But it is my impression that the '03 VLX(when I was shopping) and the current '06 VLX are not the same mold at all, top to bottom. I have no idea as to the LSV, never was in my sights.
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-08-2006, 2:48 PM Reply   
In general they should still be basically the same comparisons. The BU will have a bigger interior with a less agressive wake and the nauti will have a smaller interior with a steeper (and bigger) wake.

Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-08-2006, 5:31 PM Reply   
Malibu re-designed the hull for the 05 and newer models. It is a bit longer, and a couple inches wider than the pre-05's. The V-ride is still using the old (pre-05) VLX hull shape. Both are great boats.

Everyone prefers something different. There is no magic number (not sure where the 7 out of 10 came from). You really need to try them out for yourself and see what YOU prefer, not what everyone else does. Both are great boats. YOU need to choose.

Good luck.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-08-2006, 6:32 PM Reply   
I like the 210 wake best. You dont need much weight to boot you up. I know when Mike Ennen came to Louisiana, he rode with just stock and 5 people in the boat. We offered him fat sacks and he still said no. He was still doing pro level tricks. I have also rode the old wakesetter, good boat but I still like the 210.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-08-2006, 7:05 PM Reply   
Buzz,
7 out of 10 was completely random. it just seems like more than half of riders prefer a steeper wake hence 6 or 7 out of ten. not my big, heavy arse though; give me a thick, rampy wake that steepens to a firm lip the last foot or so and boots you straight up without jolting you off balance.

i dig the 210 also, it just takes a little while to adjust. i wish more people on my lake used their SAN's instead of keeping them in the boat lift all year so maybe i could hitch a ride every now and then. there's literally 40 SAN's on my lake, and only two are out regularly.

i agree with leo that 210's can get big without much weight at all, but the new malibus have a little more potential for the biggest--and still clean--wake. there's almost no limit to how much weight you can jam in.

i'm still waiting for randal's reasoning behind this thread. he got all the same information last time around
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-09-2006, 6:46 AM Reply   
I've ridden a lot of bu's and i do like them, but the last comment was a little wierd. I have never seen a bu with a wake near as big as my SANTE. I tried to post a pic of the wake, but i guess it is too big...i'll try againUpload
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-09-2006, 3:40 PM Reply   
jeremy, we've all seen your profile. obviously, you think SANs are in a league of their own, so i'm not going waste time arguing with you. everyone has a different opinion and neither of us are bound to change our's any time soon. all i meant by what i said is that the new bu's have more ballast capacity than super air's as a result of their high freeboard, extra room, and clean, thick wake. the biggest wakes I'VE ever seen are bu's loaded with 3000+ pounds of ballast, but, practically speaking, very few people have the means--or desire--to weigh their boats that heavily. i have no problem admitting SAN's have the bigger wake pound for pound, but, if you're crazy enough to do it, you can pump in 4000 pounds of water and get a bigger wake than most have ever seen.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-09-2006, 3:56 PM Reply   
Jeremy, I'm a SAN man myself but have you ever seen the wake on Chris Wynn's Bu? I think he'd give yours a run for its money.

It's kind of like comparing Mercedes and BMW. Personally I think BMWs are ugly cars and would never own one, whereas I like Mercedes a lot. Others have the exact opposite feeling.

Also, I really find surprising people saying that the SAN is crowded with five people. I've been quite comfortable in them with 8 or 9 people before. But then again I usually have 7 on my 88 Ski Nautique and don't really find it crowded. It's all relative I guess.
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-10-2006, 6:51 AM Reply   
I wasn't trying to start anything. I do like Malibu's. I was just saying I have been on a lot of them, some very heavily weighted and just haven't found one with a wake as big as mine. No I haven't been on Chris Wynn's Bu. I'm alwawys down to ride though, behind just about any boat so....hook it up. I'm always down to get a little higher education
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-10-2006, 7:13 AM Reply   
Josh,

I think the problem with going out with 6-7, maybe the 5 was a little low, people all the time, for extended days on the lake is lack of storage. Thus you start piling stuff where you can and I think it just gets cramped.

I have been out from a house boat on numerous occasions with 8-10 people in the boat and been fine, but I wouldn't want to go all day like that.

We are old....and with that comes bringing more stuff for some reason. When I was younger, I could show up with a ski.....and that was it. Go all day, then home. Now we have to have snacks, drinks, towels....our own ropes, boards, jackets....bla..bla..bla....and that is the guys. Jesus, the bags that a girl will bring on board is the size of a full grown man. Seating in my boat goes from 10 to 9 with just one bag.... That tends to fill up a SAN VERY quickly.

Again, I love my boat and have no plans of getting anything else.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-10-2006, 7:21 AM Reply   
It should be said that it not common place, people that have a regular crew of 8 and just one boat. They are out there, but it is not the norm. Remember, I am not saying 8 people that you hit the lake with, but every time you hit the lake....there are 8 on the boat. Thus, not getting a SAN on size alone....IMO....doesn't effect a huge population of boat buyers.

Hell....I cannot count the number of times we have been out with 3 inboards and 9 people. Last tent camping trip of the year, one inboard stayed anchored(floating) at the beach for almost 2 days.

Remember, we are talking "all day" trips with 7-8 people....and the gear and misc. stuff that brings. Not the leaving the campsite, houseboat or meeting at your slip for an evening on the lake.

(Message edited by Deuce on March 10, 2006)
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-10-2006, 7:24 AM Reply   
Are you buying everyone a boat or just one for yourself? If it's for you then you need to get in and drive, ride, and board behind everything. Then look at the layout and see what best fits your needs. Take time to learn and study everything on the market in the size and price you are looking at. Then make some list to make sure you are comparing apples to apples, and after that make a list of your top two and rate them on as much as you can on what features of each boat you like more and why. Key is study, test drive & ride!!!

Post like this are pointless, because the Malibu guys are going to say "MALIBU" and the Nautique guys are going to say "NAUTIQUE". Maybe someone might even give you some helpful hints on buying a boat your not going to kick yourself for down the road. A year after you buy your boat don’t sit on the back if it wishing you had gotten that… (Insert that other boat name here)
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-10-2006, 7:27 AM Reply   
I thought my posts were very unbiased....and I'm a "Nautique guy."
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       03-10-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
Ride behind them both, make up YOUR OWN mind, and buy what you want. You will always get honest opinions, but that is what they are....opinions. Take them for what they are worth. I ride with guys who own Nautiques, Sangers, Supras, Supremes, Malibus, Calabrias ETC....you get the point. Just ride and make up your own mind.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-10-2006, 10:01 AM Reply   
I like the Nauti's, could own anything, for my need's the BU fits the scope definition, your mileage may vary.