Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-02-2005, 7:07 AM Reply   
Does anyone know where I can find a battery terminal extension or some sort of “power strip”, whereby I can connect 5 power wires to a terminal. I can’t fit (5) 4 gauge power wires with ring terminals on my battery posts. They won’t fit. I searched around on the net but couldn’t find anything. I need something with a 1 or 2 gauge input and minimum of (5) 4 gauge outputs. Any suggestions?? Even a distribution block big enough would work, but can’t find one with that many outlets.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-02-2005, 7:09 AM Reply   
What about just using a stereo spliter block?
Old     (roberto)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-02-2005, 8:16 AM Reply   
I think what you need is a distribution block. Check this link out:

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/fp/scat/28049/SFV/30046

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-02-2005, 8:50 AM Reply   
Adam: Most distrubution blocks are set up via the wire size. Example

Some distrubution blocks will have 2" O awg wires imputs and "3 4 Awg wire outputs. You might be looking for more but you might have trouble finding one that would have more than 3 or 4 because of the draw that lets say 4 Awg wires can pull. Sorry I dont know if this is making sence.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-02-2005, 8:59 AM Reply   
Might be a little cheezy but you can use 2 distribution blocks and just tie them together?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-02-2005, 9:04 AM Reply   
I can't find a distribution block with 5 outputs (4 ga) Ther has to be a better wya than buying 2 smaller one for each side (ground/positive. I found these. Anyone ever used them?
Deep cycle battery post/terminal extensions
http://www.solarseller.com/battery_post_extension__marine_terminal_by_quick_c able_.htm
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-02-2005, 9:13 AM Reply   
Adam what would be wrong with doing 2 distrubution block's with 3 wires for one and 2 wires for the other and then run 2 O awg wires back to the battery
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-02-2005, 9:45 AM Reply   
I forgot to add to the first post, I also need it for the ground. So I would need a total of (4) distribution blocks. Looking at another $100. Just tryin to find a less expensive route. Adding two more 10’s is costing a lot more than I had anticipated.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-02-2005, 10:32 AM Reply   
IT could almost be better to add another battery, and connect half to each battery.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-02-2005, 10:54 AM Reply   
I have no more room to add another battery. I’m currently running two 6V GC batteries. JL audio makes a 1/0 input with 4-4 ga outputs. I may use two of these ($20.piece) One for ground the other for (+). Then run the 5th wire (-,+) directly off battery to another fuse.
Old     (topside_marine)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-02-2005, 10:54 AM Reply   
Try www.bluesea.com look under terminal blocks. Each circuit is fused and you can use any size wire you wish (as long as you have the proper connector). Also check out the "common bus bar" on the Blue Sea site. This will work for both +/- sides of the circuit and they cost about ten bucks each.

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-02-2005, 11:24 AM Reply   
Topsidemarine, that's what I was looking for, Thanks!
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-02-2005, 1:09 PM Reply   
I second the Blue Sea products. Here is what I used:
http://www.bluesea.com/product.asp?Product_Id=30138&d_Id=7465&l1=7465&l2=

Big stud allows multiple wires to be secured, small screws allow for smaller wires.

Note that the proper installation of a battery would have only one wire to the battery post. When you have multiple wires it makes changing the battery more difficult and increases the chances that the connection becomes loose. Much better to have one wire from the battery to the distribution post, and then tighten that nut REALLY tight!

Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-02-2005, 2:27 PM Reply   
Adam,

It's not glamorous but here's an effective solution: get a scrap of electrical Bus-Bar, drill it and tap it to suit your needs, coat the finished product with anti-oxidant compound and you will have a nice electrically sound solution.

The new Malibu's have very nice electrical bus bar's similar to the Blue Sea products. At least one boat company is starting to recognize the need to upgrade the factory electrical wiring systems. I wish I could say the same for my Nautique but they are not there yet.