Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (2step)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-18-2005, 10:44 AM Reply   
I live in Dallas Tx, but I am towing my Tige 20V to Tahoe for a couple of weeks this summer. Does anyone know if I need to make any changes to the boat to make up for the loss of power from the altitude?
Chris
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-18-2005, 11:20 AM Reply   
if it is efi you should be fine.
Old    leggester            03-18-2005, 11:25 AM Reply   
I don't believe you'll get full power at altitude even with EFI.

A lower pitch prop also helps offset the loss.
Old     (nar722)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-18-2005, 12:55 PM Reply   
I have been to tahoe a few times - I live at sea level - and my boat ran fine. The first time I went up there I did notice a slight power loss and I have the 350 mag mpi engine so the next time I went up I did what Matt suggested and went to a lower pitch. That worked. Have fun at Tahoe...it's a great lake
Old    wakestyle            03-18-2005, 1:19 PM Reply   
Don't use High Octane gas either.

If your plugs have a lot of hours on them be careful when you bring it back to sea level. We actually blew a plug after bringing our boat back down from running +4000ft most of the season. Were out in the Delta and that plug blew... scared the crap out of everyone in the boat, lol. Probably kind of rare, but thought I'd run it by ya anyways.

(Message edited by wakestyle on March 18, 2005)
Old     (2step)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-18-2005, 1:56 PM Reply   
Thanks guys.
Why would I not want to use high octane gas, is that why your plug blew?
Old     (sangeria)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-18-2005, 2:12 PM Reply   
Where are you staying while you're up there? The water is extremely cold all year long and can get really choppy in the late afternoon. Best place for wakeboarding in my opinion is on the west shore and in Carnelian Bay which are protected from the wind for the most part. Prepare for early morning runs to get the best water...best to bring a wetsuit or shorty. As far as performance goes, you should be fine although lake altitude is around 6500 feet...I've never seen any boats have major issues.
Old    leggester            03-18-2005, 2:13 PM Reply   
Most boats can't justify HO gas. 87 or so is standard with most motors.

As I understand it, lower octane gas burns a bit "slower" giving a long stroke motor just a tad more oomph. I'm sure someone can explain it.

Also, since the motor runs a bit hotter with lower octane, it's pretty efficient. My temps usually run around 150 no matter what gas I use.
Old     (2step)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-18-2005, 2:25 PM Reply   
Sangeria, I grew up on Dollar Point just around the point from Carnelian Bay. I have never taken my boat up there, the boat my dad has up there has been there since 1973, so I was not around to see if they did anything to it. We ought to hook up and go get some Wet Woodies from Gar Woods while we are out that direction.
Matt, Thanks that breaks it down a little more for me.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-18-2005, 2:56 PM Reply   
Most boats don't justify high octane gas? Every inboard that I have been in that has an indmar engine is high compression and recomends 89 octante or above....
Old    wakestyle            03-18-2005, 3:34 PM Reply   
Chris, actually the plug blew after we brought the boat back down and were riding the Delta.

In general, the higher the altitude above sea level, the lower the octane requirement. Modern computer-controlled engines adjust spark timing and air-fuel ratio to compensate for changes in barometric pressure, and thus the effect of altitude on octane requirement is smaller in these vehicles.

Old     (tazz)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-18-2005, 3:40 PM Reply   
Chris

I launch at Meeks Bay on the west shore and board in Rubicon Bay. Its realy nice and protected there. Never had a power problem.
Old    walt            03-18-2005, 6:07 PM Reply   
Matt,
You have it backwards. The higher the octane number the slower the burn. High compression engines require high octane so they don't detonate (ping) If you run low octane gas in a high compression engine it can combust from the cylinder heat and compression instead of the spark plug...That is not a good thing. But you are right in saying a lot of people run premium when they don't need to.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-19-2005, 2:15 AM Reply   
I noticed a huge difference when we took our old boat to Tahoe... It was a total dog.. It was an IO with 5.0 EFI. Not sure about the mechanics of the engine, but it ran fine once we came back down...
Man was it choppy... Beautiful place
Old     (2step)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-19-2005, 4:28 AM Reply   
Yeah to get butter on Tahoe you have to be out on the water, waiting for the sun to come over the mountains.
Brad, I am not sure if I have ever boarded Rubicon Bay, is it near Sunnyside or Chambers Landing?
I am going to be launching at Dollar Point Coast Guard Station.

(Message edited by 2step on March 19, 2005)
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-19-2005, 10:04 AM Reply   
you have to run a different prop. Tahoe isn't very good for riding although it is gorgeous. I live about 15 minutes from the lake and havn't been out on it in about 3 years. There are a few other lakes in the area that are much better for riding. If you have any questions send me an email.
Old     (tazz)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-19-2005, 10:14 AM Reply   
Chris

Rubicon bay and meeks bay are just south of Sunnyside.
Old    kwisenor            03-25-2005, 1:35 PM Reply   
Chris -

I'm all about the Wet Woodies at Garwoods...when are you going to be in Tahoe? We live in the bay area but my in-laws have a place in Dollar Point and have their boat on a bouy there all summer. Let me know when you're going to be up there and let's hook up.

Kent (Sangeria)
Old     (2step)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-26-2005, 7:04 AM Reply   
Kent- Thats hilarious, The bouy field next to Dollar Point, is The North Shore, that is the field that I will be on, or at least the pier. You pretty much have to be the son of god to get a bouy there, and I know this because my dad is the Bouy Master there and I still can't get a bouy.
I will be up there probably the first two weeks of August. I can almost taste the Wet Woodies (kick ass mixed drink)now.
here is the Garwoods live web cam
http://www.garwoods.com/images/webcam.html

Chris

(Message edited by 2step on March 26, 2005)