Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-24-2005, 5:03 PM Reply   
In searching for a way to get rid of the cheezy plastic battery boxes, I came across a guy building some sick polished billet aluminum units, and figured some of you folks might be interested.
They are Optima-specific, and the batterys fit in them like a glove.
I ordered two, and got them the other day. I have them semi-installed, and could not be happier with them. They are far more secure than the plastic deal, and the bling factor is way up there. I ordered another one for the battery that is going behind the isolater.

Here is a pic, if somebody wants to see more, I can shoot some better photos.

They are $125 apiece, and worth every nickel, IMHO. The guy has a website, but it is still under construction The phone number is on there, tho. It is www.cuttingedgemarine.com.
If you call him, tell him FBT said hi. His name is Dave, and he is very much into the fastboat scene, and apparently a heck of a machinist, too.

(Message edited by sam8 on March 24, 2005)
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-24-2005, 6:48 PM Reply   
These guys sell a pretty similar setup. I've seen it in a few cars, it looks nice.

http://www.detroitspeed.com/BatteryMount10.html

Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-24-2005, 6:49 PM Reply   
i've seen some like those before. doesn't a metal battery cover seem like a really bad idea??
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-24-2005, 7:15 PM Reply   
Trace, my pics are not that good, you have to see how they are designed. The top doesn't come in contact with the posts.
When it is all assembled and tightened down, nothing moves, it is dead nut solid. The base attached to the floor or whatever via four countersunk 1/4 screws. The four posts attach the same way using countersunk stainless allen head machine screws that come with it. The machine work on these is very, very precise. He is putting them into megabuck 100 MPH+ go-fast offshore type boats.
I will take another pic tomorrow afternoon looking down at the battery, it will help.
I've been using Optimas for a long time, and never have found I good battery box for them until now. I am, I admit, pretty anal about this stuff. These are the most secure set up I have ever seen.
Before I spent the $ on these,I checked out one of the Optima mounts Summit sells, they are obviously offshore, and look cast to me..I did not trust it. My friend that ordered it sent it back.
I am going to put one in my street rod, and a couple of buddies still into the sandrail scene are buying them. If I still had my rail, I would put one in it.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-24-2005, 8:06 PM Reply   
cool, just seems like metal is a bad choice of material. although less bling, it would be much easier to machine & inherently safer if they were made of something like UHMW.

i'd probably be looking for something like that too, though, if my dual Optimas didn't fit almost perfectly in the "built in cooler" (yeah right) under my observer seat.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-24-2005, 8:48 PM Reply   
Troll Fury
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-25-2005, 1:53 PM Reply   
Here are some better photos of the box, and a couple demonstrating what I meant by stout, and movement free.

He has some pics of a newer style on his website in the gallery, the new one is designed to take the Optimas with the side post terminals. I am gonna get me one for my 40 Ford later this year.
Old    plane_doc            03-25-2005, 3:31 PM Reply   
Eddie Marine makes them also. They also will powercoat them verious colors. I have to agree they are cool factor over the plastic boxes.

Old     (dls)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-25-2005, 3:41 PM Reply   
Those are nice Army Dad.
I picked one up from eddie marine also.
battery box
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-25-2005, 4:27 PM Reply   
CEM will powdercoat them, too, according to their website....

I had seen the Eddie Marine Unit, I just thought the CEM one looked a little cleaner. Just personal taste, they are both clean.
Old     (rich_x2_owner)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-26-2005, 7:25 AM Reply   
Those look sweet...I will have to pick me up one when I do my dual battery install. Army Dad, how thick of plywood is that mounted on? I'm thinking of mounting one on its side on some HDPE that is going to be incorporated with my amp board.
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-26-2005, 10:16 AM Reply   
It is on a chunk of scrap 3/4 inch. I would not go any thinner in a permanent set up, in fact, being the overkill kind of guy I am, If I were doing this for real, it would be 1 inch...

I was just trying to show the rigidity of the unit..
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-26-2005, 10:45 AM Reply   
Army Dad, Sounds like you'd make Tim Taylor proud! Hhua, Hhua, Huaaaa.
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-26-2005, 12:02 PM Reply   
Bigshow;

He's my hero...LOL...
Old    bigdtx            03-27-2005, 7:06 PM Reply   
That's RiverDave. He's a fixture over on hotboat.com.