Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (wake_pimp)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-03-2007, 12:47 PM Reply   
Hello

I have a 99 Sportster and have had carburetor problems the last couple seasons. I wanted to get a rebuild kit so I can rebuild it, but I'm not sure what model Holley it is. I can't find any numbers on it anywhere. Normally Holley's have the bowls that bolt on each side, but this Holley has a plate that screws on the top that covers the whole carb. I can't seem to find it to deterimine which kit I need.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance
Jon
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-03-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1116

there is a pic in the first kit that indicates you where to look at, If your engine is a ford it is mostly a Holley 4160. check for some other parts you might need as well.

Just got this kit yesterday.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-03-2007, 1:29 PM Reply   
Power valves are sold separately, make sure to get one. Never hurts to replace floats either.
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-03-2007, 3:23 PM Reply   
your carb is a carter carb. you can go to any preformance shop and get a kit for it. the #`s are going to be stamped on the side of the carb.
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-03-2007, 9:59 PM Reply   
Napa Auto Parts has a boat part catalogue the size of a phone book. Give your nearest Napa Auto Parts store a call, or call 1-800-452-NAPA for the nearest Napa store.
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-04-2007, 12:31 AM Reply   
The carb you have is a Holley 4010. It is the only marine Holley carb that has the single piece top plate. It's a relatively rare carb, and is no longer in production by Holley. The other Holley carb used on ski boats is the 4160.

The 4010 is known for 2 things. First, it's known to to have slightly better throttle response than the 4160. Second, and most important, it is notorious for having warm start problems mimicking vapor lock.

If its within your budget, go ahead and get a new 4160 rather than dumping money into a carb that is known to have problems.
Old     (shot)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-04-2007, 12:53 AM Reply   
check www.holley.com
you will find some instructions
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-04-2007, 7:38 AM Reply   
Have you rebuilt carbs before? If not, I would recommend giving it to a professional. For about $80 more than the price of the kit, you can have someone who has rebuild hundreds of carbs do it.
Old     (wake_pimp)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-04-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
Leo - I called for a quote at a carb place and they wanted $275 to rebuild a double pumper holley. The kits I've seen are $25 to $40.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-04-2007, 9:17 AM Reply   
Try other places. There was a guy on ebay doing them for like $150. At that price, you should probably just buy a new one.
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-05-2007, 12:36 AM Reply   
You can buy a steak, but if you dont know how to cook it, it's still a raw piece of meat. you can buy carb kits all day long but if you dont know how to set it up & dial it in w/ your engine & engines timing, your wasting time & money. leave it to the pros