Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-16-2008, 7:25 AM Reply   
Yep, we know opinions are like ... well you know but I am going to ask anyway.

At the boat show, I put a deposit down on an 08 Supra 22SSV Worlds Edition. I currently have an 05 Supra 24SSV weighted with about 3k lbs.

Objective: A smaller boat that burns a little less gas, requires a little less weight and handles a little better. Wake wise, I like the 24SSV however I am looking for similar but possibly a little steeper and cleaner. I am told and have dug up some older posts that these should be achieved with a 22SSV.

Before I commit, I am going to test drive and test ride (even though it will be colder than a witches ***). However, it wouldn't hurt to hear from you to the following:

1) How do people weight it? I hear 50/50 in general with the 1100 GG bag in front and 600s in rear (I have 750s for the rear from the 24SSV which I figure I could use if I don't fill completely and have about 300 in lead).

2) What are the general characteristics of the wake? Steep/mellow, etc. What speeds are people riding and at what length. (I was riding 70/75 at 22.5/23.5 on the 24). I want it to be clean. It would be nice to know if it cleans up at slower speeds with no weight for beginners (the 24SSV really never cleaned up until in the 21 range).

3) How do people like the boat in general?

We like the idea of the 5 year warranty they now offer as well as the much thicker carpet and vinyl compared to my 05. Night and day diff.

Like I said, I am going to judge for myself, however insight from others that have one or have ridden one are always helpful.

Thanks!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-16-2008, 8:37 AM Reply   
Diggs has a good weight setup. One thing about the new 22 over the old is the speed at which I have to ride to keep the wake clean. I have the 400lb bags int eh rear ( v-drvice sacs) and the 1100 GG bag int he front. I've tried using the 750's int eh rear but it's too much weight IMO unless you add another sac in the bow. I ride 75 at about 24-25 mph ( GPS) any slower and the wake rolls.

Overall great boat, your gonna love it. One thing I reccommend doing is moving the bateries out of the storage area and up under the cupholders of the seat that has a reclingin back on it. it adds alot more useable storage.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-16-2008, 9:04 AM Reply   
If that is the general concensus and what I experience during a test drive (which I will bring human ballast to simulate), I will be a bit disappointed. That is one of the things that is a negative to me on the 24SSV. I don't like to be forced to ride at a 24-25 to have a nice clean wake. I can ride 23-24 just fine but I prefer around 23ish. Some people I go out with aren't comfortable and it sucks to dump ballast to have a 22-22.5 run.

This is where Malibu excels in a wake that cleans up much earlier. It isn't steep by any means but definitely has pop.

However, I do know the XStar also requires a little higher speed when sac'ed so I guess it is a matter of what you are looking for.

Thanks for the input and I would still love to hear more so I know what to look for during the test drive.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-16-2008, 9:12 AM Reply   
I pulled with a 22SSV last year in a tournament. It had 1100 in the playpen and 400's on each side of the engine with 5 people. The wake was BIG and clean at 22.5 mph with the wakeplate at 50%. I myself rode it at 23.2 at 75 feet and loved it.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       01-16-2008, 9:22 AM Reply   
you typically will be at the 24-25 range on most boats when you sack them down as such. Thats the price for the bigger wake you get. You just have to ride at that speed a few times, to get used to it, then its comfy.

Or, you might want to think of a 20ft boat, which you wont need that much speed when fully weighed down. I believe the supra comes in a 20v as well. But on the bigger boats, 22-24ft, ive never ridden under 24 when weve sacked them down.
Hope this helps...
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-16-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
I have mine set with 650 in each of the rear lockers, 1150 in the belly locker and then another 300 in lead placed from the nose and then under the belly locker.
We do run about 23.0-24.5 depending on rider and rope length. The more you push the weight forward the cleaner ramp you will get and slower speed you could run.
If you plan to simulate with people ballast you will need to get them weighted evenly as it is a little finicky if the boat is not weighted properly.
The wake is in my opinion taller and steeper than the 24.
We also run the wakeplate at around 50% or when we are real heavy even 75% down.
If you ride on real clean water you can slow the speed down a bit and keep clean, but we don't see glass much so the speed helps clean it up.
That new worlds is a sweet boat. Good luck!
Old     (rickt)      Join Date: May 2002       01-16-2008, 12:50 PM Reply   
Hey Dave,

Sorry I missed you at the Atlanta Show? I was there Sat/Sun. I hope Atlanta Marine is taking good care of you and that your demo goes well. Thanks for giving the 22 a shot.

Rick
Old     (trainwreck)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-16-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
I love my 22SSV, came from an 06 21V and the difference between the two is enormous as far as overall BOATING goes. You're coming from a 24 so I don't know if you'll notice that much difference.

Also, I got the steps in mine and like the easy access cooler, but had the dealer order me the under seat one as well. The steps are nice, but its hard on the ankles for someone lounging backwards. Throw an extra towel in there for that purpose.

I can't say anything bad about the boat to this point and I like it hands down over the 21V that I had.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-16-2008, 2:39 PM Reply   
I agree with diggs on this one. Most boats, in fact, will clean up with more in the front. IMO I think its a common mistake for people to veer towards the 30/70 front to back rather than the 40/60 - 50/50 range.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-16-2008, 2:39 PM Reply   
One thing you may notice about the 22 vs 24 is the depth of the seat. If you surf alot trying to fit a bag on the seat is almost impossible. It won't stay on the seat. I usually have to tie one up to the tower.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-17-2008, 9:23 AM Reply   
Rick,

You didn't miss us at the boat show. Heather and I spent a decent amount of time talking to you and the ATL Marine crew.

The decision to move forward with the boat has nothing to do with the dealer or Skiers choice but whether it is worth the upgrade at this time due to Lake Lanier at record low depths and not looking good for the summer as well as whether it is a big enough improvement/upgrade from our 05.

The test drive will help determine at least one of those items.

Thanks again for your help in person and your participation on these forums. Don't see that from many other President's of the boat manufacturers.
Old     (trainwreck)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-17-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
Rick is a great guy, helped me alot with my 06. :-)

High Five Borat style!
Old     (rickt)      Join Date: May 2002       01-17-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
Dave,

Now that I checked your last name on the email...How good I forget. I remember the deal now. It never dawned on me that, that was you.

Good Luck to you. And lets Hope for some Rain
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-17-2008, 4:50 PM Reply   
Its kinda hard to follow Rick but Im sure this will help. I pulled 2007 USA Wakeboard and NWL National Championship with my 07 22SSV and everyone loved the wake! 1100 front w 2x750 rear for all except novice got no ballast. We all did one round behind the 22SSV and one round behind a competitors boat. I am very proud of the performance of the Supra compared to the other boat. You hit it right on the head. Wake is cleaner with no ballast at 17- 20 and with ballast is a little more steep than the 24 but not nearly as steep at the 21V. About how I like it - my 08 is also a 22ssv Worlds. Enjoy your test drive
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-17-2008, 5:33 PM Reply   
I had a session in the 22SSV when I went to the delta last year (Thanks Gary) I'm not sure how much weight we were running but there was nothing exposed and it all filled up from the dash. Wake was the real deal big and narly just how I like it. Not too steep, you could still charge in if you felt the need. Overall a pretty hard boat to beat. One of my favourites for sure.
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-17-2008, 7:10 PM Reply   
I'm also considering the 22ssv this year. I'm curious how the surf wake is. Does anyone have experience surfing behind this boat?
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       01-17-2008, 9:11 PM Reply   
Darren any time your in town it is a open offer to ride, If anything I think I have really dialed in the wake since you were out.
I currently run Gravity III bags with a little over 1000 in lead. I have found that a 50/50 ratio works the best in this boat. The nose weight is more towards the helm then the nose, under the playpen cushions just in front of the helm. I split the extra rear lead between the very back of the locker and under the rear seat. The disadvantage to all the weight is there is no way there is a ride able wake at 21-22 mph. With out the sacks filled and just lead at 21-22 the wake is super clean and huge. The biggest difference you will find in the 22 vrs the 24 is it is much narrower than the 24. riding at 80 is no problem for those usually comfortable at 75. Chris is right on with how steep the wake is. The wake plate adds the perfect touch to tune the wake to your preference. add more lip or lose it all in the placement of the plate.
Wake surfing is another big plus for the 22, fill the front bag and one rear with 500-600 extra in the rear and it is mavericks behind the 22. 10-12 mph with a slight turn into the wake and the curl is super impressive.

I to can say not one complaint during our events last season, if anything we were told the wake was scary at how big it was. Heck we even were stamped with a CIE APPROVAL sticker and that’s a picky group.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-18-2008, 6:25 AM Reply   
So what are people's thoughts on the worlds edition. The wife liked the colors and the graphics. We didn't need the bling on the trailer so we would be trading that out for a basic trailer (our boat sits on a lift 99.9% of the time).

I am having second thoughts of the graphics on the side, especially after looking at some negative posts on it at another forum. I can also probably get about the same equipment minus one or two things that I don't need for a tad cheaper if I just go with an optioned out non-worlds.

Since I just have a deposit down to hold the boat show incentives, I assume my dealer will work on getting the exact boat I want at the same relative price to MSRP as they gave me at the show.

Tough decision, especially since our Lake, Lake Lanier, has been mismanged and at unusable record lows right now with a chance that it may not come back for a good summer due to our drought situation.

Thanks to everyone for the opinions. If there are more of you, keep them coming.
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       01-18-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
Dave,

I personally love the world’s edition. I don't see a negative with the wrap. I think it looks good and in the future leaves options for change with solid base colors.
Now it really comes down to you because you can hear us all day long preach about how good or bad our opinion is but in the reality of life you’re the only one that has to live with your purchase and choices. I would recommend that you take your time and be solid on what you want. Your dealer should respect that and honor what ever your choice is on final product. For the dealer you getting and being happy with your purchase is the best thing for him. Referral business is the heart and soul of dealerships.

No matter how you wind up dressing up the 22 you will love the boat in the end.

But definitely change the ratio the boat is on the lift 99.9% way to much time up in the air. You need more time in the water
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-18-2008, 11:48 AM Reply   
Ha! You mean these things are actually supposed to touch the water? All this time I thought it was just to look nice sitting in the dock! ;-)

When it isn't on the water, it is on the lift 99.9 percent of the time. The other 0.1 percent is taking it for routine service/maintenance.

There! ;-)
Old     (clay_fraley)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-22-2008, 9:52 AM Reply   
best wake ever....Im done...haha

Picking my new one up this weekend! soooo stoked!