Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-05-2004, 1:15 PM Reply   
I was looking on ebay at all the wakeboarding equip. There seems to be alot of cool stuff to buy. I'm just really curious as to why there is acually not a whole lot of people purchacing this stuff for so cheap? I don't want to advertise someone elses stuff in this thread but here is two examples->they have one pair of two Kicker K60 tower speakers, brand-new for $10.00 current bid(only 2 bids so far)(7 days to advertise this item)(4 days left), or buy them for $298.00. Now this seems to me that something this nice would sell like a hot-cake(alot of people). or there are a pair of Hyperlite splits for $1.00 bid or buy for $140.00. with no bids and only one day left.
Has anyone had any bad experiences with these purchases? It seems that a person could get like a complete set-up from like ten bucks to less than $200.00, for everything--board,boots,tower acces., ect...?
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       02-05-2004, 1:24 PM Reply   
I personally like to see something in person before I buy, like to touch it and everything, especially when it pertains to something like wakeboarding or other sports equipment. I have looked around on ebay several times for equipment, and find that the price usually goes way up in the hours leading up to the end of the bid process...
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-05-2004, 1:30 PM Reply   
I've bought a few wakeboarding equipment off or e-bay including boards and you can occationally find really good deals but when it comes to buying brand new off of ebay your normally going to pay 20 or so dollars off of the price from a dealer. Like 'rammer' said, it'll go up alot in the last hour down to the last minute.
Paul
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-05-2004, 2:08 PM Reply   
or it is a reserve auction
Old     (noneya)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-05-2004, 2:30 PM Reply   
I have bought alot of stuff off ebay. The real prices wont show till about 12 hours before the end of the auction, as gm said it is probably a reserve auction, if the buy it now option hasnt disappeared it hasnt met reserve. Finally make sure you check the shipping cost I nearly bought some stuff the other day till I noticed they wanted $45 for shipping!
Old    ag4ever            02-05-2004, 2:37 PM Reply   
Yup, I agree with what was said.

I have recently bought a landlock for $170, a carbon handle for $75, and some other stuff. So there are some good deals out there, but you just have to keep loking to find them.

Most items go for just about what you can get them for in the store, or maybee $20 less if you are lucky.

Most bids go in in the last 1-2 minutes or so. i know a lot of people use places like esnipe.com to get their bid in at the last minute keeping the item from being artificaially inflated by early bids.

I even think that some of the "private" auctions have the price artificailly boosted by the seller bidding on his own item under a different name. How else to you explain all the same ropes and handles all going for the same $75 every time.

The speakers I have bid on a few times, but I don't want to spend as much on them as they are going for, as they are probably just cardboard sonnotubes with plywood in the ends, and painted.

Keep your eyes peeled, and you might find the occasional good deal though.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-05-2004, 9:52 PM Reply   
I buy ALL of my stuff off ebay. Mostly cause there is no board shop near me. It is really good for buying last year's models. Parks DNA for $250, I don't know anyone who would pass that up.
Old    shirows            02-06-2004, 1:13 AM Reply   
Yeah ebay can be a good choice, but after there is no garanty or something like that, you can have good opportunity for sure.

Personnaly, i like touch, such as rammer, but if there is a small price for something i want, i said ok, and before paid, if seller is near of you, you can see the stuuf.

Sorry for my english if there is mistake.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-06-2004, 9:01 AM Reply   
The most important part of buying from E-Bay is to check the sellers feedback. That will give you a feel of who you are buying from.
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-06-2004, 12:58 PM Reply   
I have purchased a lot of wakeboarding items off ebay as well. I have never had a problem yet. My last purchase was a pair of B-50's for $195.00 and that included the shipping. The guy selling them had no idea how much they were worth. You have to be cautious but you can find great deals on there.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-06-2004, 1:45 PM Reply   
I am looking for some tower speakers and maybe even a light/speaker combo on e-bay. You all mention being cautious but what should I look out for when looking for the above items?
Old     (tiger20)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-06-2004, 1:45 PM Reply   
Ebay rulz. But shipping is a Beeyotch!
Old    deltahoosier            02-06-2004, 1:49 PM Reply   
You may have bought some B-50's for a good price, but, did you see if the speakers were swapped for a cheaper version? You usually end up getting what you pay for.
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-06-2004, 1:51 PM Reply   
Deltahoosier,
They were the original mb quart speakers that come with the cans from boss. The cans alone will cost you $300 new. I think I made out ok.
Old    deltahoosier            02-06-2004, 2:24 PM Reply   
Cool. Just checking. There are various models of MB Quart speakers. But, just as a general warning to people, that people can switch the speakers. That is awesome you got a great deal. Enjoy.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-06-2004, 2:32 PM Reply   
Send the seller an e-mail and make him/her an offer if he/she will pull the item off of the auction. Sometimes the seller will be willing to remove the item from the auction if the price is right. This can reduce the inflated prices in the last minutes of an auction.
Old    wakeboard4568            02-06-2004, 2:51 PM Reply   
Around Last Christmas I was looking for a new board, and I saw the CWB Sol 133 on ebay for 150.00 and its usually 270.00 i ended up winning it for 150.00...it was a great deal and the board was in great shape.

http://www.wakeworld.com/BoardGuide/getboard4.asp?ProductID=1721

(Message edited by wakeboard4568 on February 06, 2004)
Old    wakeboard_iraq            02-06-2004, 5:00 PM Reply   
I've had a lot of success on EBAY. I purchased a 2003 Parks DNA 133 for my wife for only $200.50 !!!! It was brand new in the box with no dings or blems. Its rare to get a steal like that but it happens sometimes. Usually, you only save 10-15% off of retail but once in a while you get a steal.
Old    cdn_wkbrdr            02-06-2004, 5:12 PM Reply   
Ya , I just got my whole set up, which includes , (everything new) CWB Pure 135, CWB MOBE's , And a Wakeboard movie included of my choice. All this for $305.00 including shipping. It was sweet. Should get my gear any day now.
Old     (jwb)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-07-2004, 9:27 AM Reply   
ebay is good sometimes, back in september i got an 03 byerly skate for only 150 for abuot 10 dollars shipping
Old    tommyadrian5            02-07-2004, 9:54 AM Reply   
I got a Belmont 136 off ebay for 250 shipped and belmont bindings for 250 shipped in the middle of last summer, not a "steal" but still much less than a shop or online store when i got them. My last "steal" was perfect pass wakeboard pro for $850 shipped. I always contact the seller to try to work out a deal off ebay, chances are its a manufacturer or store which has a large stock of something they want to move and they'll give you a sick deal to do it "off ebay" because sellin shizzle on ebay costs the seller $$$$$$.

Careful though, there's alot of homemade crap on ebay.
Old    wakeboard4life            02-07-2004, 11:34 AM Reply   
it seems to me that of late ebay is really hard to find a good deal on, at least on wakeboards. I can do a google search and normally find stuff a lot cheaper from some dealer somewhere. But yes, emailing the seller directly with a price works. Every time they have either said okay or offered another price.
Old    wakeboard4568            02-07-2004, 11:42 AM Reply   
I forgot to mention earlier that I also bought my bindings on there....great deal also...only like 60 bucks.
Old    wegotbikes            02-07-2004, 9:59 PM Reply   
Ebay is awesome, I got Belmont bindings brand new only $125, Byerly DNA new only $250, CWB new only $230. Great deals and everything in perfect condition still in wrapper. Used is even cheaper but you don't know what you're gonna get.
Old    wakeboard4life            02-08-2004, 9:48 AM Reply   
I will agree with you if you happen to be the right size in stuff. You can get a new pair of exo sucs for 100 bucks, brand new..but size small. I cant find an XXL binding and when i do its either not what im looking for or used, though they did have a pair of 04 byerlys brand new that went for like 175 not too long ago but i'm kinda sketchy about the BOA system still. But, i think that it all deals on the time of year when you can find good deals. It also must be nice to be able to throw down 250 bucks for a board then 230 for another. I guess thats a disadvantage of being a poor college kid.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-08-2004, 9:10 PM Reply   
I just got a pair of CWB Vibe's for my sister and g/f to use for 56 bucks.