Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old    redneckonaboard06            08-04-2006, 7:21 AM Reply   
Alright I've searched and read and read again different views on systems. I'm still up in the air. First off, this system will be going in a 06 Tahoe I/O and this thing is super quiet, and I do mean super quiet at cruising speed. Most time people ask if its even running. Anyhoo, I'm needing more sound than the two factory 6.5"s could ever dream of pushing. 70% of the time I spend tied up to other boats or anchored out in a cove, but we'll also be riding a lot and I want to be able to hear the music. I need something to be able to hear my own music over the others if I'm directly behind the boat or floating around a few feet from it. Here's what I've got in mind as of now. The Rubicon 100's with at least a 100 watts on them, and a single Rubicon 450 w/ appropriate wattage to it. I'll also be adding a pair of 5-1/4" to the bow area and replacing the fact. 6-1/2" and adding 4 channel amp for those. Am I on the right track here with this set up? Or are the 100's just not worth it? Like I said, this boat is extremely quiet, even WOT. Oh and most systems that are the "louder" ones where I hang out are 4-6, 6-1/2's on the tower and a couple 12's.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-04-2006, 7:59 AM Reply   
There are are going to be many things to consider when upgrading your stereo. First should be how much do you plan on spending. The Rubicon set up will be in the $2000 range and very loud. The large the speaker you can fit in your boat the better. 6.5 will push more air than a 5.25. Also do you want to run a sub? Other things you need to consider is how are you going to power the stereo. How long and how loud do you plan on playing it. Are you the DJ or do you just listen while moving. Do you pull your boat every night or does it stay in the water. If it stays in the water do you have shore power?

Right now I have a small system which puts out very good sound for a distance. I run a single 10" with 4 - 5.25 on a crossfire 404 amp. I run 2 bose outdoor speakers on the Pioneer HU. I have a pair of 6V T-105s to power the system. It can pump very hard but does put a strain on the Amp running everything at once. I can clearly hear the boat with the bose speakers on the hatch when we are beached. I play DJ and it works well. When I put the system in I wanted to hear it but didn't have much $$$ to put into it. My whole system was around $1400. On my new boat I am going big and I am guessing it will run me between $8K-$10K when it is all said and done.
Old    redneckonaboard06            08-04-2006, 8:36 AM Reply   
Whoops shouldn't have left out the other details. I'll be my own DJ, well and for a couple other friends that tie up with us. I will be running two kicker 12's (one under each console) I plan on adding at least 3 blue tops along with another blue top as the cranking battery. I will be charging each night along with having the stereo batt's wired w/ a perko switch or some sort of way of seperating them for starting. Most weekends, we spend about 6-7 hours just sitting and jamming out. I'd like to spend around $2,800-3,000, which is the Rubicon's being the most expensive parts as I have very good connections at a local stereo shop for great deals on my amps and subs and I already have the blue tops. The 450's would take up quite a bit of that amount. I just think I'd be happy with two pairs of 100s and some good wattage along with the other mids. There's just not any boats that hang out in the same area that are gonna be hard to be heard over is also a reason I keep looking at the 100's. Plus to save some coin.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-04-2006, 8:48 AM Reply   
Personally I don't think the blue tops will last you that long. They are only 55 Amp Hours each and creating a bank of 165 amp hours. That will drain fast depending on your total number of amps and how are you are running it with the motor off. I personally am going to be going with an AGM battery (I want mataince free) the wet are great but too much maintaince. I am going with a Trojan 6V at 200 Ah for each pair. I plan on running 2 pair (4 batteries) for 400 Ah. I would buy a good on board charger so you can recharge each night easily without any thought.

What are you going to power the system with? How many Amps. I am going to go with the Rubicons as well but I think it will be the 350's paired with a Alpine PDX or ARC amp. The perko is a must. Put your starting battery on 1 and the stereo bank on 2 and leave it on 1 unless running to give some charge back to the batteries but don't forget to move it back to 1.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-04-2006, 8:54 AM Reply   
Soudns like you've made up your mind on the way your going. what you have will be fine. If your looking to save money I'd go with the 6volt batteries instead. (you'll get the same amp hours as 4-5 blue tops)
Old    redneckonaboard06            08-04-2006, 9:07 AM Reply   
I will def. have an oboard charger, too many years around my fathers bass boats and their built in chargers have me spoiled. I figured on the blue tops b/c I have had good luck with them in the past and have seen many other set ups much larger than mine use them with success.

I will be running three amps. As to which ones, I am not sure on that yet, either a Rockford or Cliff Designs, but that can def. change.
Old    redneckonaboard06            08-04-2006, 9:19 AM Reply   
Adam:
I've got a good idea how I want it, I just keep flipping between the 100's or the 450's. I know there really is no comparison from what I've read, its just most of our time is spent on the swim deck or max, 20-30ft. from the boat. With mine being as quiet as it is even under running conditions, it in all honesty won't take much to get good sound out to the rider. Put it this way. At 75ft. behind my boat you can just barely hear the two factory 6-1/2"s pushed by the factory deck.

I had picked up the blue tops really cheap($50 each for brand new ones, a battery shop here in town was going out of buisness) So I should get rid of the blue tops and pick up a couple 6 volts or something similar? Thanks again for the info guys!
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-04-2006, 10:16 AM Reply   
I have the 100's, running 75 watts each. You can here them fine around the boat hanging out. But, no way can I here them out 75ft. I only got them to add sound around the boat when hanging. So it works out.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-04-2006, 10:16 AM Reply   
Jarrod, I used to have a buddy with an i/o that you could esaily hear 2 6.5's (on an amp) out @70 feet. But with the 450's you will trumph anybody on your whole lake.
Old    redneckonaboard06            08-04-2006, 10:35 AM Reply   
If I was to go with the 450's, am I gonna need an EQ to help tune them so I don't kill everyone on the boat?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-04-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
Jarrod, you shouldn't need an eq.; tune on the amp as well as the audio controls on the HU.
Old    redneckonaboard06            08-04-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
Thanks again for the info.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-04-2006, 12:56 PM Reply   
Jarrod,

Depending on where you tie up and party, the 450s might cause you some problems. They are quite directional, to get the volume levels you want inside your boat and the boats next to you, you're going to have to kick them way up. When you do this, you'll be blasting everything 1/2 mile away. If you're tie-up spot is in town it might draw the attention of law enforcement. In that case, the 100s maybe more suited. That's been my experience with my 450s.
Old    redneckonaboard06            08-04-2006, 2:01 PM Reply   
The cove we tie up in is waaaaay out in the middle of a large lake and surrounded by mountains, very secluded, but there are tons of boats all around you at one time. I've never seen anyone get pissed off at someone else for blasting them, b/c most are usually drunk enough they dont' care, unless your playing some really crummy tunes. But then again, I've never seen anyone with a set up like the 450's, NVS or the like.... And then again, where we ride on the river here, there's a few homes about 100 yards off the bank.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-04-2006, 2:27 PM Reply   
If you got the blue tops for $50 each I would run all of the blue tops you have for the stereo and go get another starting battery. I think you said you have 4 blue tops. Which are 50 Ah for the 31, 55 for the D31, and 75 for the 34. I am sure you have one of the 31's. So you can assume that you will have 200 Ah. That should be fine but as long as you run it at about 1/2 max volume for the day. And with your system it will be loud so 1/2 might do it.

As for the 100 to the 450's The 450's are a HCLD speaker with a concert / club style tweeter that is meant to project music a long distance. The 100 will project but not like the 450's. If price is a concern check out the Wet Sounds 80 at $850 a pair. They are also HCLD and more compact then the 450's. www.wetsounds.com
Old    redneckonaboard06            08-04-2006, 2:36 PM Reply   
Yup, coach I have 3 that I bought for the stereo alone and was planning on adding another for cranking duties. Even with just the 100's I wouldn't have to crank it but half volume to satisfy my needs while tied up, only time it would really be cranking is while I or someone else is boarding. I checked out the Wetsounds and they seem like a good deal, just haven't heard a whole lot about them.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-04-2006, 2:50 PM Reply   
Use the search function here on the boards for wetsounds. There are a ton of post about them.

The reason I say use the Blue tops is a single 6V AGM is going to run $180. To have 2 or 4 become much more expensive. You might chech your local Costco. They use to cary the blue tops if not you can get a cheap starting battery for your boat.
Old    redneckonaboard06            08-04-2006, 2:54 PM Reply   
Yea no Costco's here in the sticks of Arkansas. HAHA. I've still got the factory starting batt. hell its only 2 months old (as is the boat) I hope I don't have to replace it for a while.

I've seen a few posts about them, but it seems more folks lean towards the Rubicon's or the NVS anytime I've searched. Thanks again. Now even more to ponder on.